Democratic primary watch

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: Democratic primary watch

Post by Nodack »

Insurance companies routinely deny coverage for reasons only God can explain.
I don’t think even God can explain. Five years ago I had a colonoscopy. My primary doctor said it was time. Because of Obamacare it was free because it was preventative care. The doc at the site said I had the colon of a 20 year old and that he would see me again in five years. Five years goes by, my primary doc says it’s time again. I have the same insurance, same primary doc, he send me to the same place, I got the same doctor who performs the same procedure and I get the exact same results, a colon of a 20 year old. This time they try to charge me around $1000.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:11 am
Insurance companies routinely deny coverage for reasons only God can explain.
I don’t think even God can explain. Five years ago I had a colonoscopy. My primary doctor said it was time. Because of Obamacare it was free because it was preventative care. The doc at the site said I had the colon of a 20 year old and that he would see me again in five years. Five years goes by, my primary doc says it’s time again. I have the same insurance, same primary doc, he send me to the same place, I got the same doctor who performs the same procedure and I get the exact same results, a colon of a 20 year old. This time they try to charge me around $1000.
Lol.

The system is a total joke and they face no repercussions for denial of care. That’s the problem right there. Another big problem is you didn’t know up front it would cost $1k. What other market do you go buy a product or service, then months later get the bill for how much it costs? It should all be real time and transparent except in emergency cases where time prohibits (there should still be a charge list of costs of say an appendectomy at the insurance company’s website. They’ve had enough patients go to each hospital that they’ll know what your costs are going to be like up front assuming an uncomplicated stay.)

If you are under Medicare and you present to the emergency department with chest pain, if your initial workup is clean and you’re deemed moderate to high risk based on evidence based medicine pathways (14% and higher risk of a heart attack in near future), then we keep you overnight for further testing.

If you are admitted to the hospital (>2 midnight stay) then the government will cover all your care.

If your workup is negative and you get to go home after one night (observation) then they will NOT cover a significant portion of it and you’ll be on the hook for a lot of money - I can’t quote the exact amount honestly.

Same thing occurs for stroke like symptoms which are almost always a 24 hour stay unless testing is positive.

Essentially they are saying we’ll only pay if you actually had a heart attack or stroke, but if you didn’t then you and the doctor should have known better!

14% chance of a bad outcome. Would you accept that level of risk?

What kind of backwards ass system will cover a 2 day stay but not a 1 day stay? What’s it matter?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Our health care is definitely FUBAR. Democrats are arguing over which way would be best to fix it. Republicans are arguing over how best to get rid of Obamacare and are not even having any discussions about Universal Health care.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:10 am
Our health care is definitely FUBAR. Democrats are arguing over which way would be best to fix it. Republicans are arguing over how best to get rid of Obamacare and are not even having any discussions about Universal Health care.
The only way the democrats are arguing over how to fix it is to take it over. That’s not a solution. It’s just a transfer of power. Obama started a good thing, but it was far from a finished product and the Republicans didn’t allow for them to work to improve it. Now it sucks. What the progressives offer is not a solution it’s just an ideology without concrete policies.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

You learn a lot on this site. Like, I had no idea Nodack had the colon of a 20-year-old! That's impressive. :lol: Seriously, the worst part of that story was that he wanted you to do another colonoscopy in 5 years. I had my first one a couple years ago and I was told that if it comes back clean, I wouldn't have to go in for another one for 10 years. Unfortunately, I had one polyp so I have to do it again in 5 years from then.

Next time though, I'm asking for a different drink solution to clear everything out. This stuff was nasty. I couldn't even drink the rest of it the next morning because I couldn't keep it down. Alright, back to politics...
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I've got my mail in ballot and I'm filling it out today. After the South Carolina primary, I think I'll go with Biden after all. I just think he has the best chance of taking out Trump due to his more moderate platform and better popularity than Pete. Unfortunately, my friend says America just isn't ready to vote for a gay candidate and I have to reluctantly agree, especially in the Midwest and South.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:40 pm
I've got my mail in ballot and I'm filling it out today. After the South Carolina primary, I think I'll go with Biden after all. I just think he has the best chance of taking out Trump due to his more moderate platform and better popularity than Pete. Unfortunately, my friend says America just isn't ready to vote for a gay candidate and I have to reluctantly agree, especially in the Midwest and South.
You can forget about Pete. https://www.axios.com/pete-buttigieg-dr ... 09d3e.html

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:34 pm
You learn a lot on this site. Like, I had no idea Nodack had the colon of a 20-year-old! That's impressive. :lol: Seriously, the worst part of that story was that he wanted you to do another colonoscopy in 5 years. I had my first one a couple years ago and I was told that if it comes back clean, I wouldn't have to go in for another one for 10 years. Unfortunately, I had one polyp so I have to do it again in 5 years from then.

Next time though, I'm asking for a different drink solution to clear everything out. This stuff was nasty. I couldn't even drink the rest of it the next morning because I couldn't keep it down. Alright, back to politics...
I have a family history of cancer. My dad died of colon, prostate and lung cancer. My mother had breast cancer, survived, then got colon cancer and survived. My sister has breast cancer and survived. I’m ok with drinking that horrible stuff every five years.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:04 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:34 pm

I have a family history of cancer. My dad died of colon, prostate and lung cancer. My mother had breast cancer, survived, then got colon cancer and survived. My sister has breast cancer and survived. I’m ok with drinking that horrible stuff every five years.
Makes sense. My dad’s prostate cancer is what made me so proactive and able to catch mine at the earliest moment possible.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:41 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:40 pm
You can forget about Pete. https://www.axios.com/pete-buttigieg-dr ... 09d3e.html
Sure glad I didn’t go with him! I heard this news after I had sealed my envelope.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mayor Pete ending his campaign is very interesting heading in to Super Tuesday. It probably helps Biden the most, but it could also help other candidates such as Warren or Bloomberg get to the coveted 15% in more states.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:38 am
Nodack wrote:
The only way the democrats are arguing over how to fix it is to take it over. That’s not a solution. It’s just a transfer of power. Obama started a good thing, but it was far from a finished product and the Republicans didn’t allow for them to work to improve it. Now it sucks. What the progressives offer is not a solution it’s just an ideology without concrete policies.
I don’t understand that, They are arguing different stances. Improve Obamacare? Go all in with Medicare for all and no private insurance? Medicare for all and private insurance? The goal is to cover all Americans and lower prices, not just take it over for power. That makes no sense to me. The Dems obviously don’t all agree and Republicans don’t want any part of reform other than neutering Obamacare. As soon as Republicans took out the mandatory part of Obamacare it became a failure.

Something as huge as health care for all Americans should be something all lawmakers from both sides should be working on together instead of just fighting and refusing to work together. That’s where we are though. My choice would be to fix Obamacare, not gut it but, I would be open to other options if it got the job done.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:34 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Nodack wrote:
I don’t understand that, They are arguing different stances. Improve Obamacare? Go all in with Medicare for all and no private insurance? Medicare for all and private insurance? The goal is to cover all Americans and lower prices, not just take it over for power. That makes no sense to me. The Dems obviously don’t all agree and Republicans don’t want any part of reform other than neutering Obamacare. As soon as Republicans took out the mandatory part of Obamacare it became a failure.

Something as huge as health care for all Americans should be something all lawmakers from both sides should be working on together instead of just fighting and refusing to work together. That’s where we are though. My choice would be to fix Obamacare, not gut it but, I would be open to other options if it got the job done.
Saying “Medicare for all!!” Doesn’t fix the rising cost of healthcare.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I found this article interesting about the contrast between the Buttigieg and Bloomberg campaigns at this stage in the race. "A Tale of Two Mayors," by Tim Miller of The Bulwark (conservative but non-Trumpy political site).

https://thebulwark.com/a-tale-of-two-mayors/

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Klobuchar has now also dropped out. Both Buttigieg and Klobuchar are expected to endorse Joe Biden.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:06 pm
Klobuchar has now also dropped out. Both Buttigieg and Klobuchar are expected to endorse Joe Biden.
Nice. That's helpful.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:38 pm
Nodack wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Nodack wrote:

No, it says we are going to have health care for all Americans. It doesn’t say anything about lowering or raising prices.

Lowering the costs is in the details.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:15 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Nodack wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Nodack wrote:

No, it says we are going to have health care for all Americans. It doesn’t say anything about lowering or raising prices.

There’s no details. Bernie hasn’t a clue how he’s going to pay for it all, let alone reduce costs. He can’t articulate a well thought out response whatsoever.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:14 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:06 pm
Nice. That's helpful.
Very helpful

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:47 pm
Nodack wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:15 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Nodack wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

There’s no details. Bernie hasn’t a clue how he’s going to pay for it all, let alone reduce costs. He can’t articulate a well thought out response whatsoever.
Most of paying for it is coming out of insurance company profits, drug company profiteering, and executive pay at these companies. But we do have to do something about malpractice insurance/tort reform if we want to get all the way there.

And I completely agree with your previous comment about physician-owned providers. I have an emergency physician friend here that has his compensation directly tied to how many tests he can order (and get his company reimbursed for). I was blown away when I learned that his how they are compensated.