RIP Swingman

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: RIP Swingman

Post by Mori Chu »

One of the very small mercies of losing someone is that it can bring others together in unexpected ways to mourn and remember them. It is nice to see posts from so many of you who I haven't heard from in a while. Miss you all and hope you and your families are doing well. Hug 'em tight; you never know.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

I've been in contact with the family.
Services will most likely be private.
However, they are considering a "celebration of life."
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

JJ Slim

Post by JJ Slim »

OMG I just saw this. I can barely type right now because the tears are flowing. I also have known Swingy since the AZCentral days. He was always one of mine and MEE's favorites. He could be harsh at times but had a heart of gold. I actually saw this first on FB as he and I were friends and we talked just a couple of weeks ago. I will let you all know that even though he didn't post here anymore that he visited regularly keeping up with the Suns and what was going on with everybody.

Even though I am so sad it makes me happy to see some of you that I haven't seen here for quite a while. You have always been and always will be my family.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

JJ Slim wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:17 pm
OMG I just saw this. I can barely type right now because the tears are flowing. I also have known Swingy since the AZCentral days. He was always one of mine and MEE's favorites. He could be harsh at times but had a heart of gold. I actually saw this first on FB as he and I were friends and we talked just a couple of weeks ago. I will let you all know that even though he didn't post here anymore that he visited regularly keeping up with the Suns and what was going on with everybody.

Even though I am so sad it makes me happy to see some of you that I haven't seen here for quite a while. You have always been and always will be my family.
I think you, Swing and I were part of the last installment of the Drunken Amateur Report ... Tyler (UO), my son and crazy Brent were also part of it.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

JJ Slim

Post by JJ Slim »

LazarusLong wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:31 am
JJ Slim wrote:

I think you, Swing and I were part of the last installment of the Drunken Amateur Report ... Tyler (UO), my son and crazy Brent were also part of it.
I remember that very well. Which in itself is amazing since I probably shouldn't have been driving home afterwards. IIRC Swingy ended up crashing there. And I didn't know that there were no more DAR's. Does anybody still have those recordings?

Indy

Post by Indy »

JJ Slim wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:27 am
LazarusLong wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:31 am
JJ Slim wrote:

I remember that very well. Which in itself is amazing since I probably shouldn't have been driving home afterwards. IIRC Swingy ended up crashing there. And I didn't know that there were no more DAR's. Does anybody still have those recordings?
I think I downloaded those at some point. Not sure which computer they are on, but I will look.

Indy

Post by Indy »

holy shit. been gone a while and came back to this. RIP Swingy.

misteradiant

Post by misteradiant »

i loved swing.

he had a great sense of humor, a wonderful personal style of dress, a phenomenal collection of rad old big band jazz records, and an attitude commensurate to his bourbon intake. he was exactly who he was, honestly, unapologetically. mark was an integral part of the small group that was "the drunken amateur report." what fun those days were. back when the suns won all the time and we'd stream buzzed opinions over live internet connections nobody listened to but some of you.

i am here to pay respects to a man whom i thought about often over these years. same as i think of a handful of you. friends and comrades in temporary self-destruction.

because no body and no thing wins forever.

like every thing, these bodies die. what we've done while in them is how the kosmos shall reward us. mark is surely and already resurrected in a world where drums and basketball and enormous swing bands are the most awesome things, the most revered.

peace and love to your soul forever, swingman.

MR

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

misteradiant wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:06 pm
i loved swing.

he had a great sense of humor, a wonderful personal style of dress, a phenomenal collection of rad old big band jazz records, and an attitude commensurate to his bourbon intake. he was exactly who he was, honestly, unapologetically. mark was an integral part of the small group that was "the drunken amateur report." what fun those days were. back when the suns won all the time and we'd stream buzzed opinions over live internet connections nobody listened to but some of you.

i am here to pay respects to a man whom i thought about often over these years. same as i think of a handful of you. friends and comrades in temporary self-destruction.

like every thing, these bodies die. what we've done while in them is how the kosmos shall reward us. mark is surely and already resurrected in a world where drums and basketball and enormous swing bands are the most awesome things, the most revered.

MR
Great Requiem Mr.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Well said, MR. And welcome! Good to see you here.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

misteradiant wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:06 pm
i loved swing.

MR
Well said. I've missed you man.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yo misteradiant! I still think of Mark. We really hit it off well for years and then one year we kind of parted ways in the politics folder. Nice to hear from you again!

Indy

Post by Indy »

well said

Singh

Post by Singh »

Been away for a long time. Sad to hear this he was a great contributor to the site. Wish he could have seen a championship. :-(

Indy

Post by Indy »

Singh wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:10 am
Been away for a long time. Sad to hear this he was a great contributor to the site. Wish he could have seen a championship. :-(
welcome back. sorry there wasn't better news to return to

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Singh wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:10 am
It's good to see you again, Singh. You're always welcome.

Suns_Dave

Post by Suns_Dave »

Here checking in on the old phxsuns.net crew and this is not the news I wanted to see.

Loved how his larger-than-life personality shone through the message boards. He was one of the ones I used to chat with late at night about basketball and random things. I remember I said something once that made him mad... don't recall what it was but the man could hold a grudge, lol. I regret that I never reached out and reconnected with him.

Rest in peace, Swingy.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Does anybody know how/why he died so young?
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Arrhythmia?

Too soon? I think he'd have a chuckle at that.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I get it. Yeah, he would.