Democratic primary watch

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Democratic primary watch

Post by Indy »

So what started as the most diverse group of candidates ever, turns into a race between 3 white guys in their 70s. Ugh.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Here's the thing I don't know for sure. When I watch Biden in the debates, I see an old guy who has real trouble getting words and sentences out of his mouth. He stutters and stammers and changes direction mid-sentence, often seeming to forget what his original point was. My question is, is the problem in his mouth, or in his brain? If it's just stuttering, having trouble speaking, I can forgive him that. But if he's actually going senile and having trouble remembering things or forming coherent thoughts, that is disastrous. I'm really worried that during the campaign he will be exposed as, or become perceived as, old and senile / demented / lost his marbles. Trump has moments too where he seems off his rocker or not all there mentally, but they are more rare, and Trump seems to be able to show up sharp to rallies and debates for the most part. I really worry that some voters will decide that Biden is too old and isn't sharp enough to be President any more. It would probably benefit Biden to minimize the campaign season and number of public appearances, and that isn't a good thing.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Biden has had a stuttering problem since childhood, and worked really hard to combat it. I think it comes out a lot more when he is stressed.

He isn't my first or 2nd or 3rd or 4th choice for President, but he is a much better option than a racist narcissist with much lower than average IQ.

By the way, I am not excited about either of the candidates left. I expect my excitement level to go up once we hear on the running mates.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:45 am
So what started as the most diverse group of candidates ever, turns into a race between 3 white guys in their 70s. Ugh.
Does it help that they’re Jewish?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

As most of you know I am a musician. I sing and play guitar and at times am expected to speak to audiences and make announcements. I am famous in my main band for F’ing up announcements. I just start stumbling over the words and wrong words come out. I guess I get nervous or something. I feel I think just fine but, there is something about speaking in front of a bunch of people that turns me into Biden. His speaking gaffs don’t bother me because I can relate.

As far as all of them being old white guys? I voted for Obama because I liked him best, not because he was black. I am going to vote for whoever the Dem nominee is. I don’t care if they are white, black, old, young or whatever. We had a huge diverse group of candidates and now it’s down to three old white guys. It happens. Are old white guys no longer allowed?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Why do you guys keep saying 3? Down to the last 2 standing, right?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm not worried about Biden's mental acuity. He just struggles to speak in front of crowds. And he's infinitely brighter than the current idiot.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm operating at this point as if Biden's getting the nomination. Who do you think Biden will pick as his running mate? Amy Klobuchar seems like a strong candidate. She's a generally well-liked moderate, and she'll help him shore up midwestern votes. One might want to see Biden pick a minority candidate like Stacey Abrams, who could help him put Georgia in reach, but Klobuchar has better name recognition right now. I doubt Biden would pick someone ideologically far from him, such as Liz Warren, as his running mate.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:27 pm
I am counting Trump.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:45 pm
I'm operating at this point as if Biden's getting the nomination. Who do you think Biden will pick as his running mate? Amy Klobuchar seems like a strong candidate. She's a generally well-liked moderate, and she'll help him shore up midwestern votes. One might want to see Biden pick a minority candidate like Stacey Abrams, who could help him put Georgia in reach, but Klobuchar has better name recognition right now. I doubt Biden would pick someone ideologically far from him, such as Liz Warren, as his running mate.
I think Biden has the black vote more than any other candidate already. I think Amy would be his best pick to shore up the women's vote that he has a little bit of a sniffing problem with. Amy has earned it with her Presidential run. I can see Pete getting a job as something under Biden.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:05 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:27 pm
I am counting Trump.
Ah. I try to forget that guy as much as humanly possible.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I wish I could.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think Sanders would pick Warren as his running mate.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:26 pm
Unfortunately, I don't think that duo could beat Drumpf.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Never say never.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:25 pm
As most of you know I am a musician. I sing and play guitar and at times am expected to speak to audiences and make announcements. I am famous in my main band for F’ing up announcements. I just start stumbling over the words and wrong words come out. I guess I get nervous or something. I feel I think just fine but, there is something about speaking in front of a bunch of people that turns me into Biden. His speaking gaffs don’t bother me because I can relate.

As far as all of them being old white guys? I voted for Obama because I liked him best, not because he was black. I am going to vote for whoever the Dem nominee is. I don’t care if they are white, black, old, young or whatever. We had a huge diverse group of candidates and now it’s down to three old white guys. It happens. Are old white guys no longer allowed?
The lack of diversity means lack of thought and experience diversity as well. Old white guys that came of age in the late 50s are not what we need to lead this country. They literally grew up with Leave it to Beaver as an accurate representation of life.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:26 pm
There is a reason she didn't endorse him when she dropped out. I would rather see her in a different role than VP. VPs are pretty meaningless and powerless. And if she gets a job in the admin, that is one less Senator. Same with Bernie getting the nomination.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I still don't know who I am going to vote for.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Biden

Indy

Post by Indy »

That is where I am leaning. I like more of Bernie's policy ideas, but he can't get new people excited to vote for him. Which means they will stay home on election day, and not get any down-ballot Senators elected.