Game Day: Warriors (12-47) @ Suns (24-36), Sat 2/29/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day: Warriors (12-47) @ Suns (24-36), Sat 2/29/20

Post by ShelC »

You're paying and treating Booker like a #1 and then bringing in someone else to play as (and end up paying) a #1, with Ayton waiting to be maxed out and expecting to be played as at least a #2 if not #1 during stretches. You need to rebalance the roster and payroll somehow. Or max 3 guys and sign journeymen, vets on minimum deals like the Heat. Cuz Sarver ain't gonna pony up the dough.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:44 pm
You're paying and treating Booker like a #1 and then bringing in someone else to play as (and end up paying) a #1, with Ayton waiting to be maxed out and expecting to be played as at least a #2 if not #1 during stretches. You need to rebalance the roster and payroll somehow. Or max 3 guys and sign journeymen, vets on minimum deals like the Heat. Cuz Sarver ain't gonna pony up the dough.
Having too many players worthy of max deals is a good problem to have. It’s like complaining about having too many beers to choose from, poor you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:29 pm
I also wouldn’t trade Ayton for most of the players in the league. He’s the defensive center we’ve needed for decades. I’m not trading him for anyone but Giannis, Steph, Klay level players. That doesn’t include KAT to me. I think we just need a star PG to take the playmaking/scoring load off Booker and open up the offense further.

We could use Kelly and whatever assortment of picks necessary + any cap space to add that player and round out our bench.
I have no idea why you would just throw Kelly's name out there like that. :lol:

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:18 pm
ShelC wrote:
Having too many players worthy of max deals is a good problem to have. It’s like complaining about having too many beers to choose from, poor you.
Yes, but I assume you are bringing in that #1 guy already on a max deal. So you have two guys on max deals, and only next year with Ayton before you have to decide if you are going to max him. That means we have to be really sure which of the 3 we are keeping.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:43 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:29 pm
I also wouldn’t trade Ayton for most of the players in the league. He’s the defensive center we’ve needed for decades. I’m not trading him for anyone but Giannis, Steph, Klay level players. That doesn’t include KAT to me. I think we just need a star PG to take the playmaking/scoring load off Booker and open up the offense further.

We could use Kelly and whatever assortment of picks necessary + any cap space to add that player and round out our bench.
I have no idea why you would just throw Kelly's name out there like that. :lol:
I’m going to speak it into existence :D

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:46 pm
specialsauce wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Yes, but I assume you are bringing in that #1 guy already on a max deal. So you have two guys on max deals, and only next year with Ayton before you have to decide if you are going to max him. That means we have to be really sure which of the 3 we are keeping.
We can keep all 3, like Dubs with Curry Thompson and Green.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:35 pm
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Draymond is still pretty cheap (18M this year). I would assume any #1 option we trade for would be closer to 25-30M. And Sarver is not going to go into tax threshold.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:44 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Draymond is still pretty cheap (18M this year). I would assume any #1 option we trade for would be closer to 25-30M. And Sarver is not going to go into tax threshold.
Sarver has shown a willingness to pay the tax if we’re winning. I know it’s been a decade but let’s be fair

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:45 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:44 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Sarver has shown a willingness to pay the tax if we’re winning. I know it’s been a decade but let’s be fair
He only did it once, right? When we still had Nash and Amare the last season? And I think our entire tax bill, for every year we have paid it in our history, was less than Kelly is making this season alone. Maybe he will prove us wrong, but I think if we do go into tax territory, it means we are going to slash and burn soon after (KT-plus-2-firsts-for-cash-type deals).

Split T

Post by Split T »

Here’s the plan...Have 3 max guys..one on the super max, one on the post rookie scale max and one waiting to be maxed but still on their rookie deal. As the rookie deal guy starts his max, you trade the super max guy for your next max player still on a rookie deal. Simple. Haha

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

No super maxes. That's a guaranteed franchise death sentence, imo. We've already been in a slow death for the last 10 yrs, or maybe in a coma.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:03 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:01 pm
ShelC wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:40 am
Honestly I've been starting to wonder if Book is the guy.
I’ve down this line of thought many times, but the guy is so likeable and the is so lacking in talent, that we keep looking at him as our savior. But maybe this summer is the right summer to finally cut bait for our All Star. What could we get for Booker that fits with Ayton in timeline and on court play?
Would you trade Booker for Barton, MPJ and a resigned Plumlee?
In2, I really like Michael Porter Jr., but I'm somewhat shocked you think this is even remotely close to an acceptable package for Booker.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Or max 3 guys and sign journeymen, vets on minimum deals like the Heat. Cuz Sarver ain't gonna pony up the dough.
Exactly. The Suns have their 2 max guys, and that's who we are going to have to carry us. Needing a third star just means there's a problem with the two that you have.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:25 pm
ShelC wrote:
Or max 3 guys and sign journeymen, vets on minimum deals like the Heat. Cuz Sarver ain't gonna pony up the dough.
Exactly. The Suns have their 2 max guys, and that's who we are going to have to carry us. Needing a third star just means there's a problem with the two that you have.
Post of the year candidate right here.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:22 pm
In2ition wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
ShelC wrote:
I’ve down this line of thought many times, but the guy is so likeable and the is so lacking in talent, that we keep looking at him as our savior. But maybe this summer is the right summer to finally cut bait for our All Star. What could we get for Booker that fits with Ayton in timeline and on court play?
In2, I really like Michael Porter Jr., but I'm somewhat shocked you think this is even remotely close to an acceptable package for Booker.
It's not. These are the factors I used:
1. He's lowered his own value lately with his play.
2. Still hasn't won more than 24 games yet in his career, let alone been close to the playoffs regardless if it was his fault or not.
3. If he asks out, his value goes down.
4. No one wants to give fair value to Jones, as he's shown the propensity to not understand value in trades.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:53 pm
INFORMER wrote:
ShelC wrote:
It’s cute, but it’s just hating to hate

Say that to Lebron Wade and Bosh
Or Curry Thompson Durant Green

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:07 pm
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
ShelC wrote:
2. Still hasn't won more than 24 games yet in his career, let alone been close to the playoffs regardless if it was his fault or not.
4. No one wants to give fair value to Jones, as he's shown the propensity to not understand value in trades.
WRONG!
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:15 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:07 pm
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:

WRONG!
Haha! "Yet" was the key word.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:47 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Those are terrible comparisons. Those guys came together to go from playoff teams/contenders to champions. Shoot, Curry, Thompson, and Wade won a championship without a third star. You're talking about adding a third star to help a duo that hasn't even had a winning season nor made the playoffs. Come on.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:13 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:47 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Those are terrible comparisons. Those guys came together to go from playoff teams/contenders to champions. Shoot, Curry, Thompson, and Wade won a championship without a third star. You're talking about adding a third star to help a duo that hasn't even had a winning season nor made the playoffs. Come on.
You can’t call a guy a star if they can’t get you a winning record. Next year will determine that for us. If we go 5 years with Book as our clear #1 and can’t get a single season with a winning record, he isn’t a star.