Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Coronavirus

Post by Mori Chu »

There's already a thread on this in General, but I want a thread here so we can talk about the political spin and discussion being applied to it.

Check out what Fox News is going with here. They think the coverage of the virus is the liberal media trying to lie and blame it all on the President. Hmm.

Nodack

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Nodack »

And the Dems forced Italy to put it’s entire country of 60+ million people in quarantine?

Iran went on the air with a senior leader and their minister of health to calm fears about the virus. As the leader speaks the health guy wipes his brow about fifty times as if it were 115. Turns out he had it and infected most of the senior Iranian leadership. Two have died so far.

There was a Republican conference with a bunch of Congressmen and one guy with the Corona virus. He had contact with several Republican lawmakers who are now mostly in self quarantine. One refused self quarantine. One of them shook hands with Trump on Friday. Trump has refused to get tested.

It’s almost embarrassing, but after work late tonight I went to Walmart and stocked up of some things.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Never would I have imagined that even a US under Trump would have botched things this badly. Experts agree that the US should have been able to contain with enough testing. But the US tested 2500 while South Korea tested 200,000. How is this even possible?

Now I expect a repeat of Wuhan and Milan in some US regions, especially NorCal, Seattle, and NYC. Stay safe and be careful.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Be especially careful if you are over 60. For someone like my mother with COPD it would be a death sentence.

My gigs have started to cancel due to the virus. What are we talking, 2-3 months of shutting down the world?

pickle

Post by pickle »

Yes, 2-3 months sounds about fair. Like I said in the other thread, get your finances in order to try and ride this out, especially if you tend to live paycheck to paycheck. Stock up on some non-perishable foods just in case, I don't mean like doomsday bunker, but at least have some pasta or instant noodles or cereal on hand. Don't go to the supermarket more than once a week, and try to use delivery services as much as possible... and at least have maybe two dozen masks for when you do have to make a supermarket run. Wash hands often.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Let me know if you have any questions about how to ride it out, have done it here at HK.

Indy

Post by Indy »

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:51 am
Let me know if you have any questions about how to ride it out, have done it here at HK.
would love to hear some advice.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:59 pm
Be especially careful if you are over 60. For someone like my mother with COPD it would be a death sentence.

My gigs have started to cancel due to the virus. What are we talking, 2-3 months of shutting down the world?

pickle wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:09 am
Yes, 2-3 months sounds about fair. Like I said in the other thread, get your finances in order to try and ride this out, especially if you tend to live paycheck to paycheck. Stock up on some non-perishable foods just in case, I don't mean like doomsday bunker, but at least have some pasta or instant noodles or cereal on hand. Don't go to the supermarket more than once a week, and try to use delivery services as much as possible... and at least have maybe two dozen masks for when you do have to make a supermarket run. Wash hands often.
Yeah, my company shut down travel through the end of June, and released a statement saying if you can possibly work from home, do it through June. Obviously there are a ton of our folks that cannot do that, but probably thousands that can.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Stock market is down quadruple-digits again today after Trump's moronic speech that comforted no one. I love how he bans travel from Europe, but not Eastern Europe (such as Russia), and not the UK, so that his golf courses and resorts there are not affected. He's so fucking incompetent and unqualified and blatantly obviously corrupt. He's going to get hundreds of thousands of people killed with his lack of leadership and action.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I called my mom yesterday and we talked about the virus. She is an avid Republican and watches lots of Fox News. She says the whole thing is overblown and that the media and the Dems are just amplifying it to try to bring down the President. She says she keeps hearing it's "just the flu" and that she may even go try to get a flu shot to boost her resistance to it. She hasn't altered her behavior at all and still goes out to eat, to the store, etc. without hesitation. She also talks about how the timing of the virus "sure is convenient" since it's right before the election.

It makes me sad to see my own mother taken in by such blatantly false propaganda. People are going to get sick and die because they're being fed this kind of disinformation.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Is your mom college educated? Does she live in Tucson?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Darwinism is at work here and Fox News may end up being the biggest culprit.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:20 am
She has a Masters in economics and is generally quite intelligent. She's been a lifelong Republican and seems to say that it stems from economic issues (lower taxes, wanting smaller government) and some cultural issues (doesn't like the "left" and their PC culture, being offended all the time, wanting to tax-n-spend, etc.). She lives in northwest Tucson, the Marana area. She and my dad are upper middle-class in terms of their earnings and lifetime income.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:34 am
Darwinism is at work here and Fox News may end up being the biggest culprit.
There is some truth to that. But there's also the problem that ignorantly infected people will spread it even to their more enlightened family and friends. There is also the problem that any communicable disease is more likely to spread quickly in big cities, and Trump's base isn't in those big cities, so he may feel less inclined to help those people if they are not "his" Americans.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:01 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:51 am
would love to hear some advice.
The coronavirus is functionally extinct "in the wild" in Hong Kong and this is how it was done:

DO practice social distancing, stay at least 6 feet away from folks, avoid large social gathering (although we had folks over at our place for small dinner parties on occasion with others who followed safe procedures)

DO spend lots and lots of time exercising outdoors, it would be almost impossible to catch the virus outdoors unless you're standing in front of someone who is coughing on you. Hiking and running trails in HK were filled to capacity.

DO try to stay as far away from hospitals as possible, they will likely be focal points for infection.

DO carry hand sanitizer and use it religiously -- and wash your hands at every opportunity

DO avoid mass transit as much as possible

DO learn how to use Zoom and get really, really good at conducting meetings on it

DO wear facemasks indoors except at home and perhaps other people's homes. They don't really protect you unless you are indoors and in close proximity to someone who is infected. But they do protect you from unknowingly infecting others -- and if everyone does it, it cuts down infection rates massively.

DO stock up on frozen meats and canned foods -- we made fresh veggie runs twice a week wearing masks and sanitizing like crazy after handling money

DON'T do anything stupid like shake hands or travel when unnecessary

DON'T let yourself get too down -- it will all be over soon

DON'T PANIC! I believe that it was a flood of panic that killed more folks in Wuhan than anything else.

---

Hope this helps

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:03 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:20 am
She has a Masters in economics and is generally quite intelligent. She's been a lifelong Republican and seems to say that it stems from economic issues (lower taxes, wanting smaller government) and some cultural issues (doesn't like the "left" and their PC culture, being offended all the time, wanting to tax-n-spend, etc.). She lives in northwest Tucson, the Marana area. She and my dad are upper middle-class in terms of their earnings and lifetime income.
That is so strange (educationally, at least). My FIL and MIL live in the exact same area (roughly near Oracle and Ina). They are no longer married, but FIL is Trump supporter, listens to fox all the time, and says this is all over blown and nothing to worry about. MIL is a Dem and a supporter of anyone that isn't Trump (and prefers Bernie). Neither of them have any structured education after high school, and have lived in Tucson since the late 70s.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Thanks Virt

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I am also in a conundrum. My parents are getting in bad shape. My mother has COPD and is always on oxygen. My step dad drank, smoked and ate cheese all the time and ended up with a triple bypass surgery many years ago. They told him he needed to stop drinking, smoking and to eat better or he will regret it. He ignored their advice, retired and sits on the couch all day drinking beer and watching sports. It doesn’t matter what sports, just sports. Every half hour he struggles to get up and go outside with his walker to smoke a cigarette. His arteries in his legs are barely working now. He has falls all the time and can’t get up. They started calling the paramedics to come help him up. That is $200 every time they come so they started calling us when it happens. We live 35 minutes away in great traffic and that last time they called at 10pm and we didn’t get home again until midnight. My brother lives in town too, sort of on my side of town and he helps too.

It would be logical to put them in some sort of assisted living place. They want no part of that. We decided the best thing would be for us to move them closer to is so we can help them easier and make all our lives easier. We got a realtor, started fixing up their house to sell and started looking at new homes in our area.They took pictures of the house and it is going on the market this Friday and now the Coronavirus is hitting the country and we are really worried about how to proceed. We should be in lock down at their house and instead we are going to have an open house? You would think nobody is interested in new homes right now, but we saw a house go on the listings the other night we liked and within a few hours they stopped taking bids because they got too many offers. The realtor said we might be able to make a deal where they stay in the house for awhile if they sell it. My gut feeling says we should postpone putting it on the market for a couple of months, but the wheels are already in motion.

Indy

Post by Indy »

that house story has us really worried too. We bought a house in Chandler (don't close for another 6 weeks) but also have to sell our home in Michigan. We plan to list it in mid-April, but now we are worried with the market in complete free fall and quarantines (even voluntary) will mean people don't want to/can't move. I didn't really plan to be paying for two houses for a long time (especially when real estate taxes here in Michigan are 9k/year for a middle-class home in the 400-500k range).

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have a feeling Trump has or is going to get the virus.

Trump says he has no symptoms of coronavirus and doesn’t need to be tested after chief of staff, five others quarantined
https://www.the-sun.com/news/513496/tru ... uarantine/
Trump's chief of staff joins Reps. Matt Gaetz, Doug Collins, Paul Gosar, and Julia Brownley, as well as Sen. Ted Cruz who have all confirmed they were potentially exposed to the virus and would be self-quarantining.

Brazilian president aide tests positive for coronavirus days after posing with Trump and VP Mike Pence at Mar-a-Lago
https://www.the-sun.com/news/528592/pre ... ike-pence/

Republicans who came in contact with Trump self-quarantine
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/0 ... ine-124523
Georgia Rep. Doug Collins, who shook hands with Trump on Friday, and Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz, who was on board Air Force One and drove in Trump's car on Monday, announced earlier in the day that they have decided to stay home after being informed that they came in contact with an individual at the Conservative Political Action Conference who was later hospitalized with coronavirus.

Congressmen exposed to coronavirus shook Trump’s hand, flew on Air Force One
https://nypost.com/2020/03/09/congressm ... force-one/