NBA Season Suspended due to COVID-19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: NBA Season Suspended due to COVID-19

Post by Indy »

the CDC. They state the caveat under their numbers on their government website.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:18 pm
I should add that we have only administered 6000 tests across the US. For comparison, UK has already tested 30k and they have only 20% of the US population.
It’s a joke. We’ve asked for testing of patients and been declined several times already.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:46 pm
Does that mean they can't be carriers?
No clue. And honestly I’m not even sure if that’s real lol.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:45 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:41 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:39 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:14 am
carey wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:48 pm
How does one isolate themself? Like if I caught it would I have to shut myself in the bedroom and have someone pass food & drink to me? Or do I go to the hospital for 2 weeks?
Like the others have said, please stay home unless you have having breathing problems or a high fever that can't be managed with alternating acetaminophen and ibuprofen every 3 hours.
Anybody know if this can affect the family pet?
Our vet said she got the question a lot. It is a no. Although dogs/cats can be carriers, it doesn't harm them.
Heh. Thanks guys!
"Be Legendary."

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Disneyland closed, NCAA suspends all sports activities, MLB pushes back opening day...

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:41 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:18 pm
I should add that we have only administered 6000 tests across the US. For comparison, UK has already tested 30k and they have only 20% of the US population.
It’s a joke. We’ve asked for testing of patients and been declined several times already.
I thought I read Germany is testing 12k per day. It is crazy when even the UK has already tested 50 people for every 100k they have, and we are still only at 2.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:04 pm
Cap wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:49 pm
I wonder what this means for Bone’s Vegas bet.
Good question. If the season is over or shortened, I’d imagine it would nullify them and I’d get my original bets back. What happens if it’s shortened and the Suns still get to 30? It would then make sense to honor the over bets.
Maybe they'll just use winning percentage instead?

Cap

Post by Cap »

iLLmatic wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:34 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:04 pm
Cap wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:49 pm
I wonder what this means for Bone’s Vegas bet.
Good question. If the season is over or shortened, I’d imagine it would nullify them and I’d get my original bets back. What happens if it’s shortened and the Suns still get to 30? It would then make sense to honor the over bets.
Maybe they'll just use winning percentage instead?
It’s a pretty sure thing they won’t take Bone’s suggestion of paying on the over bets that made it and refunding the ones that didn’t.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I heard a bunch of people are already getting refunds on their NCAA bets.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

From what I have seen there is a little over 100,000 worldwide cases of Covid-19.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN20W2GX
Four countries - China, South Korea, Italy and Iran - account for 93% of the nearly 110,000 cases reported by more than 100 countries worldwide, WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.

This just in. Ohio says they have 100,000 cases themselves?

Ohio health official estimates 100,000 people in state have coronavirus
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4 ... oronavirus

If true that would be devastating.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

You're mixing reported cases with suspected cases.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Since they aren’t testing hardly anyone what’s the difference?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:14 pm
Agree. There are beyond inadequate testing measures in place. It's laughable and terrifying.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:14 pm
Your first link involves countries where they are testing and that statistic is the reported number of infections.

The second link is about Ohio, where there isn't adequate testing and the statistic is the suspected number of infections.

I don't really see the connection between the two links you posted other than the US needs to do a better job of testing, but maybe that's what you're trying to emphasize.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

How did the Jazz manage to procure 58 tests to check every member of their team and staff, while doctors with sick patients cannot get any testing kits?

pickle

Post by pickle »

Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:26 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:18 am
I know this goes without saying, but I sincerely hope that every one of you and your family manage to stay healthy. Statistically some of us are likely to get the darn thing before all is said and done. Or at the very least, some of our loved ones will get it. I hope for the best and hope that everybody will be okay.
Estimates are up to 150 million infected in the US alone. That means that, with a 2-3% mortality rate, 3-4.5M dead.
That estimate is way overblown... I don't have anything to back it up, but it's too outrageous imho.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:59 pm
How did the Jazz manage to procure 58 tests to check every member of their team and staff, while doctors with sick patients cannot get any testing kits?
The NBA asked their teams to get linked up to local medical facilities a few days ago in case there are issues with the corona-virus, so at least the league and their teams took this disease seriously.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:39 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:14 am
carey wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:48 pm
How does one isolate themself? Like if I caught it would I have to shut myself in the bedroom and have someone pass food & drink to me? Or do I go to the hospital for 2 weeks?
Like the others have said, please stay home unless you have having breathing problems or a high fever that can't be managed with alternating acetaminophen and ibuprofen every 3 hours.
Anybody know if this can affect the family pet?
Since I'm behind the GFW of China and cannot see Twitter unless I turn on VPN, I don't know if the others have already addressed this question. I have read that there was one case in HK where a pet dog showed symptoms of the disease, but it was concluded that the dog cannot pass the disease back to humans, and in fact it wasn't clear how the dog got the virus in the first place. In general I don't think it will be a problem for pets.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Cap wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:42 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:32 am

Oh, I agree it was stupid either way. I am just saying if that he was feeling fine and had no idea, it is just him being immature and acting like a 10 year old. If he was already feeling ill, he is knowingly spreading a potentially deadly disease.
It’s like the guy who comes out of a sensitivity workshop, immediately does what he was told not to do, and laughs. When called on his shit he says, “It was a joke. I’m not being racist, I’m being ironic.” Hopefully, that guy has a come-to-Jesus meeting with HR. Gobert was making the same kind of joke. The mentality that it might be harmful when others do it, but it’s humorously ironic when I do it.
Gobert issued a public statement, in which he explained that he didn't realize he had the disease when he pulled those stunts, and frankly I found that explanation to be unacceptable. He needs to apologize for not taking the precautions seriously, rather than to say "I touched people and things because I thought I didn't have the disease".

Also reading that relationships on the Jazz are strained and need to be repaired.