NBA Draft 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by O_Gardino »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:13 am
What do folks think of Vernon Carey from Duke?

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/vernon-carey/

I'm mostly looking at PF/C guys who can shoot. It's always a plus to me when they come from a good program.
He doesn't look quick enough to me. I'd look at him with a 2nd round pick.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Suns are most likely picking 10-12, so here are the guys I like that might fall to that range. Not in order of preference. I don't know my order of preference yet.

PF
Okongwu - ok, he won't fall to 10. you got me.
Toppin - James Jones pick, but I like the guy
Paul Reed - Might be the best value in the draft if he falls out of the lottery. Baller.
Jaden McDaniels - Loves to block shots, has height and arms to be a good rebounder. Stretch 4 potential.

Wings
Jaden McDaniels - Some of the best handles in the draft. Can pass. Potential to be a secondary playmaker.
Josh Green - Not just a leaper. Has good balance and awareness of his body.
Vassell? I change my mind on him every week. He needs to be quicker or craftier. He has legit size, though
Nesmith is a legit scorer in college. I don't think he will do much besides shoot in the NBA, and he has short arms. Still, he can shoot.

PG - There isn't one I would take at 10. Crazy considering this was supposed to be a PG rich draft.

C - There isn't one I would take at 10. I'm probably missing a few guys who could be good energy/banger players off the bench, but I don't think I would take any of those guys over the PFs on my list.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Do you not think any of the PG’s will make it to 10? Or you don’t like the PG’s?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It this time, I think there are at least 4 PGs in the top 10.
LaMelo
Hayes
Hampton
Anthony
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:57 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:01 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:46 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:13 pm
My top pick would be LaMelo Ball.
Just for the Suns, or do you like him better than Wiseman overall?
I have him as my top pick overall and for the Suns.

I do like Wiseman though, and have him in my top 4. One of the problems the Suns had was the backup center spot. It never felt like we had a backup that could come in after the starter went out and do anything positive all year. That had to do with injuries and suspensions, but seemed pretty important, like missing a backup PG. I think there is a chance that Wiseman could end up better than Ayton. He has better hands, can catch lobs better, and seems to be a better functional athlete, imo.

This guy doesn't really like Wiseman all that much. https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2020/3/16 ... oronavirus
#20! Jesus. Wiseman seems quick, too me. I wouldn't be surprised if the team that takes him hypes him as a 4/5 combo.

LaMelo looks like a gamer for sure. I doubt the Suns will high enough to take him, but he's my #1 for the Suns. I don't love him enough to take him if there were any personality red flags, though. And I think most teams would take Wiseman over him.
He can get up and down the court in a hurry. He may never develop handles or court sense, but he could be a better DeAndre Jordan quickly.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

That guy is drunk or something. No way Wiseman is outside of the top 10, possibly top 5 depending on which team is selecting where.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:28 pm
Do you not think any of the PG’s will make it to 10? Or you don’t like the PG’s?
The ones I like enough to take in the lottery will be gone by 10. There are others I think might be worth a late 1st rounder or 2nd rounder.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:02 pm
It this time, I think there are at least 4 PGs in the top 10.
LaMelo
Hayes
Hampton
Anthony
I like LaMelo. I think Hampton and Hayes can be solid rotation players, but I don't see either as a star or primary creator on offense. I just don't see it with Cole Anthony at all.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I like Hayes and Halliburton. LaMelo is interesting in theory, but I haven’t actually seen him play. His 3pt shooting numbers were pretty bad. Is he supposed to be a shooter? What’s the story there?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The oil spill ruined Halliburton for me.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:53 pm
I like Hayes and Halliburton. LaMelo is interesting in theory, but I haven’t actually seen him play. His 3pt shooting numbers were pretty bad. Is he supposed to be a shooter? What’s the story there?
His form is a mirror image of Lonzo's, but he looks more natural and comfortable shooting it.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

And I do like Haliburton. You could talk me into him at #1.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:01 pm
Don't be a Dick. You know if we draft him he'll always get us the W.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Would you be open to swapping our pick if it is #10 for #'s 17 and 26 from Boston? Maybe come out of the draft with Paul Reed and Vernon Carey?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:28 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:01 pm
Don't be a Dick. You know if we draft him he'll always get us the W.
Don't pull my Cheney.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:03 am
Would you be open to swapping our pick if it is #10 for #'s 17 and 26 from Boston? Maybe come out of the draft with Paul Reed and Vernon Carey?
It's moot. There's no way James Jones is doubling down on this shitty draft to bring in two more 20 year olds.

Assuming he can extract some modicum of value from it, I think it's a near lock that he trades the pick.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He already tried to move it at the trade deadline. He’ll try again.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

With a college season where the tourney is cancelled, I bet teams are going to whiff even more than usual on their draft picks. Hard to gauge the players without seeing them compete for the championship.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:01 am
With a college season where the tourney is cancelled, I bet teams are going to whiff even more than usual on their draft picks. Hard to gauge the players without seeing them compete for the championship.
If this happened back when Villanova won the championship in the '80s, the Suns would have picked Karl Malone instead of Ed Pickney. I think they were swayed by the tournament production, even though they were high on Malone prior.

Perhaps someone else can either debunk or confirm.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Doesn't matter for James Jones. He only drafts by age and number of games played.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.