Suns News: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Superbone »

The Suns beat the TWolves in 2K on Wednesday with Ty Jerome on the sticks if anybody cares. 3 wins away! :P
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

I never understood why a young player would go for a nice two year deal in order to a maximise their earnings when it's finished. Sports careers are so often limited injury - lock in for 4 years for less money per year but greater overall and worry about the payday after that.

Is there any better example than Nerlens Noel? Turned down 4yrs at $70m and is now making $2m on a one year and isn't exactly setting himself up to cash in at 7.7ppg / 4.9rpg in 18mpg.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Oubre didn't have a ton of leverage last summer.

He had a really nice few months to close out the prior season, but I think most teams were skeptical that he'd keep it up. 2 years for $30M is still a really good deal for him. Maybe there was a 3/40M or 4/55M type of deal out there and his agent advised him against it. I doubt it, but who knows?

He'll be at $14.5M next year with plenty of time to recover and rehab from his knee injury. Unless there's something wrong with his knee that we don't know about, he'll get every opportunity for a bigger payday by showing it on the court next year.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

3rdside wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:20 am
I never understood why a young player would go for a nice two year deal in order to a maximise their earnings when it's finished. Sports careers are so often limited injury - lock in for 4 years for less money per year but greater overall and worry about the payday after that.

Is there any better example than Nerlens Noel? Turned down 4yrs at $70m and is now making $2m on a one year and isn't exactly setting himself up to cash in at 7.7ppg / 4.9rpg in 18mpg.
Not everyone is LeBron or KD.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Is it possible for Oubre to sign an extension before he's a FA again?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:27 am
Oubre didn't have a ton of leverage last summer.

He had a really nice few months to close out the prior season, but I think most teams were skeptical that he'd keep it up. 2 years for $30M is still a really good deal for him. Maybe there was a 3/40M or 4/55M type of deal out there and his agent advised him against it. I doubt it, but who knows?

He'll be at $14.5M next year with plenty of time to recover and rehab from his knee injury. Unless there's something wrong with his knee that we don't know about, he'll get every opportunity for a bigger payday by showing it on the court next year.
Maybe even this year depending on how the NBA handles the hiatus.
"Be Legendary."

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Indy wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:30 am
3rdside wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:20 am

Not everyone is LeBron or KD.
Oubre could have got 4/$55M, to use FF's numbers - $25m is nothing to sneeze at plus it's two more years of job security.

Eric Bledsoe is the other guy that comes to mind - we put an offer out to him that he didn't like, looked around and got no other offers so ended up signing it (but for more than our original offer was for anyway, if I remember correctly?)

It's the smart thing to do.

The worry is that the player is then unhappy with his employers for a perceived low-ball but if the team culture is good, or he gets injured, then it's all put into perspective .. or you just trade him if he's really not happy.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

On the team culture thing - and slightly off on a tangent - but I'd bet there is a correlation between team success and quality of its training facilities and stadium.

We suck, it doesn't help that TSA badly does also.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

3rdside wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:52 am
On the team culture thing - and slightly off on a tangent - but I'd bet there is a correlation between team success and quality of its training facilities and stadium.

But that is all being corrected. Speaking of which, there are a lot of pissed off season ticket holders right now due to increased costs next year. Especially from those in club seating. My mom sent me an AZCentral article about it. She wasn't happy either just for being an AZ tax payer. Interesting that the article doesn't mention that the arena is owned by the city though and is used for other events as well.
"Be Legendary."

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:51 pm
3rdside wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:52 am

But that is all being corrected. Speaking of which, there are a lot of pissed off season ticket holders right now due to increased costs next year. Especially from those in club seating. My mom sent me an AZCentral article about it. She wasn't happy either just for being an AZ tax payer. Interesting that the article doesn't mention that the arena is owned by the city though and is used for other events as well.
Yeah it is thankfully - a pull factor for sure for more players to want to move here if we have state of the art facilities.

Think I agree with your mum that it's a bit rich for non-basketball loving Arizona tax payers to have to help pay for it, but such are the dynamics in the US. That being said, I don't like horse racing for example but if London decided it needed a new track to attract more tourists or whatever, I'd probably be okay with. But there would need to be an on-sell option - if I'm the state government and Sarver sells, I'd demand a slice of it, or something equivalent.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I would love to see the finances of running an arena. How profitable are they, how much $ goes back to the city, etc. Anyone have a link?

The theory behind city owned arenas is that they are good for the economics and culture of the city, while being too expensive for any private company to build.

But NBA/MLB/NFL teams could afford to build their own arenas. The cost of building a new arena is about 1-6 years worth of player salary. I don't think pro sports teams want to be in the business of operating the arena, but I do think a private company could make a profit leasing the arena to the team + concerts without help from the city.

Map of NBA areans with building cost and seating capacity: https://geoshen.com/posts/nba-arenas-ra ... g-capacity
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:03 am
I would love to see the finances of running an arena. How profitable are they, how much $ goes back to the city, etc. Anyone have a link?

The theory behind city owned arenas is that they are good for the economics and culture of the city, while being too expensive for any private company to build.

But NBA/MLB/NFL teams could afford to build their own arenas. The cost of building a new arena is about 1-6 years worth of player salary. I don't think pro sports teams want to be in the business of operating the arena, but I do think a private company could make a profit leasing the arena to the team + concerts without help from the city.

Map of NBA areans with building cost and seating capacity: https://geoshen.com/posts/nba-arenas-ra ... g-capacity
Not sure how accurate it is, but I remember last decade when we were in the playoffs regularly, the rule of thumb was each home playoff game nets the team a million dollars.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

That wiki link is good - it summarises a lot of what's out there showing the economic benefits to a city from its government funding a private sports stadium are outweighed by private enterprise gains.

And that's the different dynamic in the US vs Europe - team owners use "I'll relocate the club to Seattle" as a negotiating tactic.

Like many systems in America, this model is also bullsh*t; it's private profiteering at the public's expense.

Indy

Post by Indy »

3rdside wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:25 am
That wiki link is good - it summarises a lot of what's out there showing the economic benefits to a city from its government funding a private sports stadium are outweighed by private enterprise gains.

And that's the different dynamic in the US vs Europe - team owners use "I'll relocate the club to Seattle" as a negotiating tactic.

Like many systems in America, this model is also bullsh*t; it's private profiteering at the public's expense.
Yep. that is literally the american way.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:31 am
Just in time for this discussion:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers ... on-dollars
The legal back-and-forth was costing both MSG and Murphy’s Bowl LLC millions of dollars in legal fees each month, a person not authorized to speak publicly said earlier this month. The cost appeared to do little to dissuade Ballmer, the wealthiest owner of a professional sports team in North America, from his intended plan. In October, he said of MSG’s opposition: “I’m not sure they understand what they’ve gotten themselves into, from my perspective.”

You have to love this guy!!!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't know why he doesn't just move the team to Seattle. They could change everything about the franchise, but they're never winning over a majority of the people in the area. The Lakers are the only team that will ever matter in LA.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Give him some time. His plans are much larger than anything that the Lakers have thought up. He is fighting an uphill battle in Southern California, but the things he's done vs. what the Buss siblings have done are night and day. The Lakers were just lucky that LeBron picked them and the league continues to carry their water in terms of jumping in the lottery. That stadium that he's planning on building is going to be like nothing we've ever seen before.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass