Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Superbone

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:11 pm
And from what I've seen on social, Dr. Fauci isn't at his press conferences anymore? If true, that tells you exactly where we're headed.
They say it's due to "social distancing." Seriously.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think Fauci pissed off Trump by criticizing and contradicting him at a recent press appearance. Can't criticize dear leader. He'll be off TV now, and probably fired or reassigned shortly thereafter. The death of expertise.

As for stopping the quarantine after 15 days / before Easter, that will lead to thousands of American deaths. If Trump thinks that will help stabilize the economy or his poll numbers, he's got another thing coming. That could end up being a complete humanitarian disaster, and it would be entirely on his shoulders.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Nothing ever falls on his shoulders. He'll move right along and/or look to exploit it.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Dr. Fauci was back on the briefing TV show today.

I only caught about the last 10 minutes or so, but I heard Trump claim that the US has tested more people in 8 days than South Korea has in 8 weeks. That can't possibly be true.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:09 pm
As for stopping the quarantine after 15 days / before Easter, that will lead to thousands of American deaths. If Trump thinks that will help stabilize the economy or his poll numbers, he's got another thing coming. That could end up being a complete humanitarian disaster, and it would be entirely on his shoulders.
The Texas lieutenant governor of Texas essentially called for the elderly to sacrifice their lives for the sake of the American economy recently.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:04 pm
Dr. Fauci was back on the briefing TV show today.

I only caught about the last 10 minutes or so, but I heard Trump claim that the US has tested more people in 8 days than South Korea has in 8 weeks. That can't possibly be true.
Were his lips moving? Then yeah, he was lying.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Exactly

I think that most States would completely ignore his order to open up everything on Easter.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... eath-toll/
Notice the numbers are going straight up? If this was a stock we owned we would be rich.

The mortality rate for the flu is .1%.

The mortality rate for the Corona virus so far is 3-4% according to experts. 30-40Xs higher than the flu.

I don’t get the numbers though. 422,945 People have gotten the virus. 18,907 Have died from the virus. What % is that?

pickle

Post by pickle »

Mori Chu wrote:
I think Fauci pissed off Trump by criticizing and contradicting him at a recent press appearance. Can't criticize dear leader. He'll be off TV now, and probably fired or reassigned shortly thereafter. The death of expertise.

There's a reason why Trump and Kim are BFF.

I know I'm being extra-cynical, but honestly, Trump's most ardent base is going to be less impacted, because they tend to live in less densely populated areas, and they believe nothing from the media and only Trump's own words... so while I do believe the country will suffer through unnecessary devastation from Trump's handling of this emergency, his approval ratings may not drop that much. I hope I'm dead wrong, I really do, but I think he can escape this unscathed and remain the favorite to win the election in November.

Indy

Post by Indy »

pickle wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:42 am
Mori Chu wrote:

I know I'm being extra-cynical, but honestly, Trump's most ardent base is going to be less impacted, because they tend to live in less densely populated areas, and they believe nothing from the media and only Trump's own words... so while I do believe the country will suffer through unnecessary devastation from Trump's handling of this emergency, his approval ratings may not drop that much. I hope I'm dead wrong, I really do, but I think he can escape this unscathed and remain the favorite to win the election in November.
this is not as cynical as you think. and likely to be true.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:11 pm
It'll happen and he'll say it's great, everything's going great, things are back to normal and people are going back to work and we made it thru the pandemic with the lowest numbers of any country and everything was overblown by the media and he handled everything great and our numbers are better than ever.

Whether or not state/local officials do in fact open things back up and people go back to work is another story.

And from what I've seen on social, Dr. Fauci isn't at his press conferences anymore? If true, that tells you exactly where we're headed.
Italy is ever so slightly starting to turn their curve, and looks like they will top out with 100k-120k confirmed cases (but with only 4% of China's population!?!).

Our curve is still very steep and growing, instead of turning. Probably because we are not testing like other countries and plenty of states with huge populations are not doing anything (FL and TX I am looking at you).

We will likely have more cases than China by this weekend, and thus take the lead for the most cases in the world. The deaths will follow from there.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I was literally just writing that Trump will claim other countries aren't testing as much as we are or are suppressing their numbers while we're doing the best job testing which is why our numbers are higher.

And of course, he just tweeted that out. Scary how predictable everything is becoming.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Trump also just tweeted out a mocking message about Mitt Romney, sarcastically saying he was sad that Romney tested negative for corona. This man is a monster.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

pickle wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:42 am
Mori Chu wrote:

I know this sounds cynical but, Trump winning in November would set up Democrats controlling the WH, Senate and House in five years. Whoever wins in November is going to inherit a crap sandwich just like Obama got when he was elected. The Great Recession didn’t happen on Obama’s watch but, he was blamed for not bringing the economy back fast enough. Let Trump win. The world economy is going to be in tatters for awhile and Trump as President for eight years will make it hard for him to blame Obama and Hillary still. As much as it pains me to see Trumps face and listen to his constant BS lies anymore, I think we should let him finish what he started. Let America see Trumps Utopia after 8 years. No Mexican paid for wall, no improved health care, a massive national debt, foreclosures and unemployment. It doesn’t matter who’s fault it is. The incumbent always gets the blame.

If a Dem wins, they will inherit that crap sandwich and all that goes with it.

Edit: Then again can we withstand four more years of Trump? He is very active in manipulating things. We may not live in a Democracy in five years if he is still President.

Indy

Post by Indy »

If he wins in November, he will likely appoint 2 more SCOTUS justices, and our democracy will not survive. Think of Citizens United as the first brick in the wall, not the last.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

You want cynical? I think our "democracy" has been over. GOP won't give up power again.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:45 am
You want cynical? I think our "democracy" has been over. GOP won't give up power again.
I'm really worried. I worry that Trump will cancel or delay the November election due to the virus. I worry that if the election does occur, there could be messing around with the integrity of the election, everything from stationing cops and ICE agents at polling places to enacting weird voter restrictions to stop dems from voting, to suspicious counts of votes from voting machines. I worry that even if Trump does lose, he'll challenge the results in a case that will go to an increasingly partisan Supreme Court. I worry that even if he doesn't overturn the election, he'll simply say that he refuses to leave office. Then it'll be up to the Secret Service to oust him, and he's carefully installed a bunch of loyalists to run the Secret Service recently. Then what? A coup to remove him? With what army? Trump has strong support from the military leaders, as do most GOP goons. I just can see him using every tool at his disposal to try to stop his own removal from power. It really really scares me. And I don't think it is crazy to worry about these things. He talks all the time about rigged elections, about wanting to stay past the 2-term limit, he attacks the media, he looks up to dictators, and on and on.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I heard KAT mom is in a medically induced coma likely suffering from Covid-19.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:24 am
I heard KAT mom is in a medically induced coma likely suffering from Covid-19.
yeah he posted an insta story about it. not great.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:45 am
I think it depends on how you look at it. November will be telling for the Senate seats that are up for grabs.

I REALLY hate our two party system in this country. It actively works against a democracy.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I have more faith in the country than you guys do. I think the American public has learned their lesson and will vote him out of office. If he were to try to suppress it, it would only make it worse for himself. I hope I'm right.
"Be Legendary."