NBA Draft 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by O_Gardino »

I've been watching more Hayes, and I might be coming around on him. I wish I could see a live game.

I didn't realize how young he is. I was concerned with his turnovers and 3pt%, but those things aren't so worrying for an 18 year old kid. He can definitely improve his shooting with work, and the turnovers make sense for the crazy passes he throws.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:08 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:28 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:01 pm
The oil spill ruined Halliburton for me.
Don't be a Dick. You know if we draft him he'll always get us the W.
Don't pull my Cheney.
You guys are a pack of cards ... you shuffle when you walk, and need to be dealt with :P
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:01 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:46 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:13 pm
My top pick would be LaMelo Ball.
Just for the Suns, or do you like him better than Wiseman overall?
I have him as my top pick overall and for the Suns.
Ball's shooting is too poor for my taste. Obi Toppin is my top choice.

There are probably at least 4 or 5 players I would draft before Ball.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:34 am
I've been watching more Hayes, and I might be coming around on him. I wish I could see a live game.

I didn't realize how young he is. I was concerned with his turnovers and 3pt%, but those things aren't so worrying for an 18 year old kid. He can definitely improve his shooting with work, and the turnovers make sense for the crazy passes he throws.
I feel like Theo Maledon is a better prospect.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:54 am
In2ition wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Name them.

Ball is my #1 and I don't see it change anytime soon. His feel is elite and his positional size and ability to do more than just pass makes him by far my top choice.

I do like Obi, but he's not my #1.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:43 pm
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Name them.
1. Obi Toppin
2. Tyrese Haliburton
3. Daniel Oturu
4. Aaron Nesmith
5. James Wiseman

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I don't think Ball will ever be an efficient scorer, but I do think he has everything else going for him on the court. He can pass, handle the ball, he can create his own points or set someone else up, and he seems to have an elite motor. This kid moves. I think he'll have real gravity even if he's shooting .410/.320. And I think he will get to the line a lot.

The shooting is a real concern, and it could be a bigger concern if you think he's not coachable. I would look closely at the off court stuff, the in practice stuff, and any other indication I could find about his character and attitude. If he's not a team player, I'd pass for one of the other guys.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I think he's started adjusting his form, and I could see him do more of that. I really think he will continue to improve it and get over the .410/.320 shooting splits. His form was never as broken as Lonzo's was and we've already seen Lonzo really start fixing it and improving his %s.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:56 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:43 pm
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

Name them.
1. Obi Toppin
2. Tyrese Haliburton
3. Daniel Oturu
4. Aaron Nesmith
5. James Wiseman
I hadn't looked at Oturu before, but I can see why you like him.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:11 am
I think he's started adjusting his form, and I could see him do more of that. I really think he will continue to improve it and get over the .410/.320 shooting splits. His form was never as broken as Lonzo's was and we've already seen Lonzo really start fixing it and improving his %s.
You're probably right. Those numbers are his worst case, IMO.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ASU's Remy Martin entered the draft.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

We haven't talked much about Avdija because it's unlikely he is on the Suns radar.

But what do y'all think about him? The highlights look great, but the numbers sure don't back it up.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:18 pm
We haven't talked much about Avdija because it's unlikely he is on the Suns radar.

But what do y'all think about him? The highlights look great, but the numbers sure don't back it up.
His comp is Gordon Hayward, no? If that's the case, I'm not sure that the Suns need a player like that at the moment. Of course, I could be totally wrong about what Jones is looking for.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:33 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:18 pm

His comp is Gordon Hayward, no? If that's the case, I'm not sure that the Suns need a player like that at the moment. Of course, I could be totally wrong about what Jones is looking for.
I don’t see the Hayward comp at all. He’s actually a little like Saric was in Europe but a speedier and with better creation/ball skills. He can lead or finish a break. Feisty on D, but Saric was too. I think Saric’s outside shooting was probably a safer bet. Avdija has a good looking stroke, but his awful FT shooting is worrisome.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Yeah, I don't think Avdija is a candidate for phx, but who knows how many SFs Jones may want.

In the highlights, Avdija looks like a #1 pick candidate, though. He shoots, drives , throws nifty passes, scores in the paint, rebounds, rotates for blocks, and looks really quick and natural doing all of it. The ft% is shocking. The other concern is 20mpg. What's he doing outside of the highlights that keeps him on the bench? It'll be interesting to see if he really is a player.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Article on athletic, but they do have a free 90 day subscription right now

Split T

Post by Split T »

For those who don’t want to sign up, here’s a quick summary:

4 scenarios in the 10-12 range:

1. Tyrese Haliburton - Vecenie likes the pick as we need a 3rd guard and haliburton could eventually start next to Book.

2. Precious Achiuwa - Vecenie doesn’t like it. Good defense, but can’t play the 4 offensively next to Ayton.

3. Onyeka Okungwe - I probably messed that spelling up, but Vecenie likes this pick better. He’s a better version of Achiuwa.

4. Devin Vasser - Vecenie likes him a lot. Wing that can really shoot and his defense is better than his shooting. Doesn’t really fill a need, but he says you can never have too many wings.

Then a scenario where we land 4th:

Obi Toppin is the pick. Thinks he can play the 4 next to Ayton offensively as he can stretch the floor a bit, then slide over to the 5 when Ayton sits and play the Richaun Holmes role. Defense is a question mark.

Last scenario is us landing #1

Has us taking Lamelo Ball. Very advanced ball handler, passer, feel for the game. Shows promise with his shot. Vecenie thinks he might have the highest ceiling in the draft.

Says Edwards/Wiseman are too similar to Booker/Ayton

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Thanks for the post and recap, Slit.

I'll be thrilled if Haliburton or Okongwu slips to us. I don't know if either has a stars mentality, but both have star talent, IMO. Okongwu isn't a shooter now, but he has the coordination to be a good shooter.

Precious Achiuwa is not a lottery pick, IMO. At 25? Maybe. At 10? No way. There will be many better choices. Who paid Vecenie to insert him in this discussion?

Vassell could be a Jones pick. We don't need him, but we might pick him. He does shoot and defend.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:43 am

I'll be thrilled if Haliburton or Okongwu slips to us. I don't know if either has a stars mentality, but both have star talent, IMO. Okongwu isn't a shooter now, but he has the coordination to be a good shooter.

Precious Achiuwa is not a lottery pick, IMO. At 25? Maybe. At 10? No way. There will be many better choices. Who paid Vecenie to insert him in this discussion?

Vassell could be a Jones pick. We don't need him, but we might pick him. He does shoot and defend.
Vecenie didn’t like Achiuwa...I think they used tankathon to simulate the draft and make the picks. He was just commenting on the selections.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:07 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:43 am

Vecenie didn’t like Achiuwa...I think they used tankathon to simulate the draft and make the picks. He was just commenting on the selections.
:lol: I just ran Tankathon about 30 times. We got Cole Anthony about 20 and Haliburton on the rest. Precious goes to the Lakers at 29 every time. I'm not knocking you or the article. I'm just dead serious about that pick being a product placement add. :lol: