Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:00 pm
Trade Kaminsky for Gobert!
I mean I’d obviously make that move, but only to immediately trade him for a different asset. I know you made that comment as a joke, but it’s hard to envision a team in the modern nba that can win a title with Rudy as a max player. He single handedly gives you a good defense, but those Jazz teams are never going to get out of round 2

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:47 pm
pickle wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:22 pm
On a different subject, I heard on some podcast that Lauri Markannen wants out of Chicago. Do we want him and for what assets? Personally I'm willing to put up the first round pick this year and maybe Okobo, though I don't know if that's enough for the Bulls. I think he can hold down the starting spot, and if we can get Saric back for a decent contract, we'd have a complete roster for the first time since ... the Dragic and Frye days?
Gambo thinks it will take a good player like Kelly plus a 1st.
Then the Suns should walk away. Oubre is better than Markannen, so Oubre + 1st is a non-starter. The same applies to a Oubre/Aaron Gordon deal.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:48 am
In2ition wrote:
pickle wrote:
On a different subject, I heard on some podcast that Lauri Markannen wants out of Chicago. Do we want him and for what assets? Personally I'm willing to put up the first round pick this year and maybe Okobo, though I don't know if that's enough for the Bulls. I think he can hold down the starting spot, and if we can get Saric back for a decent contract, we'd have a complete roster for the first time since ... the Dragic and Frye days?
Then the Suns should walk away. Oubre is better than Markannen, so Oubre + 1st is a non-starter. The same applies to a Oubre/Aaron Gordon deal.
Agreed
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

NBA HORSE competition getting read to start on ESPN.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea I dont know....this seems pretty painful especially when they're all on different courts.

Update: I lasted until the 1st commercial break.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:09 pm
Yea I dont know....this seems pretty painful especially when they're all on different courts.

Update: I lasted until the 1st commercial break.
Yeah, too drawn out. It was better watching the highlights on SportsCenter. 🤪
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:48 am
In2ition wrote:
pickle wrote:
Inf, what is your scouting report on Markannen? And on Oubre, since I'm asking...

I love Oubre so I probably wouldn't do that deal either, but interested in your take in more detail.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

KAT's mom died. She succumbed to Covid-19. Very sad.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:13 pm
KAT's mom died. She succumbed to Covid-19. Very sad.
Wow, so sad. She couldn't have been that old. His father also has it but is reportedly doing well. Unfortunately, this virus is killing a disproportionate amount of people of color.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/290 ... aled-world

A big documentary series on Michael Jordan starts Sunday night on ESPN. I wasn't sure I was going to watch it at first but since then I've read that it's really well done and deep. I've since set up the ol' DVR to record it.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:11 pm
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/290 ... aled-world

A big documentary series on Michael Jordan starts Sunday night on ESPN. I wasn't sure I was going to watch it at first but since then I've read that it's really well done and deep. I've since set up the ol' DVR to record it.
Me too. Looking forward to it. I really enjoyed watching those '90s Bulls teams. We got the WGN network on my cable TV at home in the '90s so we saw a lot of Bulls games (WGN was a Chicago superstation). So I got to see a ton of prime Jordan/Pippen carving up the league. Really enjoyed those years, since the Suns were also such a great team. When I think of the greatest teams of all time, I think of the Russell-era Celtics and the '90s Bulls and everybody else is way behind.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Caught the 1st episode and will watch the 2nd one tonight. Could Krause have been any less likable?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:59 am
Caught the 1st episode and will watch the 2nd one tonight. Could Krause have been any less likable?
The insecurity just oozes off of Krause. I enjoyed seeing MJ mercilessly mock and insult Krause throughout the whole show. "Are those the pills you take to stay that short? Or are those diet pills?"

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, he clearly was feeling the lack of recognition that MJ and Phil were getting. He probably thought he was just as important.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

What that FO did to that '98 Bulls team was borderline criminal. They just decided on a whim that the team was about ready to fall apart, so rather than waiting to see if that was true or trying to restock the team, they just gave up and announced that this would be their last year together. They tell their wildly successful (and underpaid) coach that it's his last season, and openly announce that they're going to trade everybody or let their contracts expire after the season. How can you do that to a six-time NBA championship dynasty? Outrageous. They acted like building the greatest team of all-time was easy and that they'd be rebuilt in a year or two. The sheer hubris of it is as staggering now as it was at the time.

You have to think that if they'd tried to do that in the modern era of social media, they'd get so absolutely publicly roasted for it that they'd have to reconsider.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:59 am
Same. Yeah, what an idiot. He had small, fat man syndrome like they said in ep1. Very compelling doc, by the way.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:28 am
What that FO did to that '98 Bulls team was borderline criminal. They just decided on a whim that the team was about ready to fall apart, so rather than waiting to see if that was true or trying to restock the team, they just gave up and announced that this would be their last year together. They tell their wildly successful (and underpaid) coach that it's his last season, and openly announce that they're going to trade everybody or let their contracts expire after the season. How can you do that to a six-time NBA championship dynasty? Outrageous. They acted like building the greatest team of all-time was easy and that they'd be rebuilt in a year or two. The sheer hubris of it is as staggering now as it was at the time.

You have to think that if they'd tried to do that in the modern era of social media, they'd get so absolutely publicly roasted for it that they'd have to reconsider.
I liked Jordan's line that the Cubs had been rebuilding for 45 years.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Any GM worth their salt tries as hard as they can to keep a dynasty/greatness going as long as they can. Announcing to the media and telling Phil flat out that 97-98 would be his last season was criminal. He couldn't wait to tear the Bulls down and rebuild them again just to win and take credit. And I'll never forget him winning the #1 pick in 2000. He just looked like a grown child shaking his fists in celebration.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yeah, it felt like the league was more than willing to bend over backwards to award them the #1 pick a couple times after that, just like they did for Cleveland, and gifting the Lakers the #2 pick 3 times and then jumping them up to #4 last year. Yet, they act like they did the Suns a favor by giving them the #1 pick once in their history and then #4 a couple other times. What a joke... Hell, they gave NO the #1 pick a couple times when they had something happen to them(owner changed and AD asked out).
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:38 pm
Yeah, it felt like the league was more than willing to bend over backwards to award them the #1 pick a couple times after that, just like they did for Cleveland, and gifting the Lakers the #2 pick 3 times and then jumping them up to #4 last year. Yet, they act like they did the Suns a favor by giving them the #1 pick once in their history and then #4 a couple other times. What a joke... Hell, they gave NO the #1 pick a couple times when they had something happen to them(owner changed and AD asked out).
I didn’t take you for a conspiracy theorist.