Suns Videos That Make Me Happy

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns Videos That Make Me Happy

Post by Superbone »

Thanks, OG. That makes me smile.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:44 pm
Of course, 2 pages in and no Matrix highlights which is fitting for a guy who always felt underappreciated. Watching these videos, all of this feels like a lifetime ago. Shawn was a special transition player with elite athleticism.

Shawn is a top 5 suns player of all time. I hope guys like DA and Booker knock him out of that group, though, because that would mean they end up being great players here a long time.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I could watch that Marion video on loop all day. Back in the mid-2000s I knew our team was special, but I didn't realize how truly rare it was to have a team like that, and how long it would be before we had anything remotely like that again. I miss those days.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:41 am
I could watch that Marion video on loop all day. Back in the mid-2000s I knew our team was special, but I didn't realize how truly rare it was to have a team like that, and how long it would be before we had anything remotely like that again. I miss those days.
We took it for granted under Colangelo.

When we had several seasons in a row of winning 50 games and exiting in the first or second round, that was the “malaise.” It was considered a dark time, because we expected better from a Colangelo-run franchise. What we wouldn’t give to have that kind of “malaise” now!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

We were pretty maxed out with those Kidd led late 90s teams. McDyess ditched us and we were left with Cliffy, Googs, Longley, Mark Bryant, etc to go up against the likes of Shaq, Sheed, Brian Grant, Vlade, CWeb, Duncan, Robinson. Plus Backcourt 2000 never materialized.

Colangelo at least left us a parting gift in Nash, Shawn, Amar'e and JJ (then traded for Diaw). Sarver really pissed away the last 10 years.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:57 am
We were pretty maxed out with those Kidd led late 90s teams. McDyess ditched us and we were left with Cliffy, Googs, Longley, Mark Bryant, etc to go up against the likes of Shaq, Sheed, Brian Grant, Vlade, CWeb, Duncan, Robinson. Plus Backcourt 2000 never materialized.

Colangelo at least left us a parting gift in Nash, Shawn, Amar'e and JJ (then traded for Diaw). Sarver really pissed away the last 10 years.
The top two moves Sarver didn’t make that cost us at least one championship:

1. Not resigning Joe Johnson over a $5 mil difference.
2. Not drafting Igoudala and instead trading the pick.
"Be Legendary."

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

ShelC wrote:

Don't knock Uncle Spliffy. He'd be a perfect PF in today's game.

Edit: check out how many leader boards he was on and how long he played at a high level. Having that second peak in his early to mid 30s in Phoenix really made his career. The guy was the prototype for Garnett.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... ncl02.html
Last edited by virtual9mm on Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

No I loved Cliff! One of my favorites of all time and he'd be in high demand today (no pun intended). But he was the best of that group and wasn't nearly enough against the frontlines of those WC powers. He was tasked with guarding all of those guys at one point or another because he was our best frontcourt defender.

Also, didn't we censor Longley on this site?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:26 am
ShelC wrote:

The top two moves Sarver didn’t make that cost us at least one championship:

1. Not resigning Joe Johnson over a $5 mil difference.
2. Not drafting Igoudala and instead trading the pick.
I'm pretty sure that #2 was the front office decision at the time, since they didn't think Iggy was going to fall to them. Of course, they kept their word on the trade prior to the draft and even after they saw that he was going to fall. Too bad the Warriors didn't do the same when they agreed to trade their pick(which was Steph Curry).
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:49 am
No I loved Cliff! One of my favorites of all time and he'd be in high demand today (no pun intended). But he was the best of that group and wasn't nearly enough against the frontlines of those WC powers. He was tasked with guarding all of those guys at one point or another because he was our best frontcourt defender.

Also, didn't we censor Longley on this site?
You beat me to my edit -- it's amazing how many leader boards he was on, especially defensively. Imagine how good he'd look playing next to Ayton.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Listening to some of these nba redrafts Bill Simmons has been doing...whoever was scouting or making decisions in the late 90’s and early 2000’s was doing a great job. Nash went 15 in the 96 draft and then 2nd in the redraft to Kobe. Marion and Amare both went 9th in 99 and 2002, but both went 1st in the redrafts. I haven’t seen one for 2003 yet, but we got Barbosa at like 29...it really is too bad we traded the 04 pick, as Iggy at 7 would have been another great pick.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:32 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Listening to some of these nba redrafts Bill Simmons has been doing...whoever was scouting or making decisions in the late 90’s and early 2000’s was doing a great job. Nash went 15 in the 96 draft and then 2nd in the redraft to Kobe. Marion and Amare both went 9th in 99 and 2002, but both went 1st in the redrafts. I haven’t seen one for 2003 yet, but we got Barbosa at like 29...it really is too bad we traded the 04 pick, as Iggy at 7 would have been another great pick.
Yeah, the Suns used to take advantage of bad organizations when it came to the draft, but now other organizations take advantage of our bad drafting. I think it was a team effort, and Cotton and Jerry had a good amount of voice in the room.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:

How good was the western conference when you can name so many HOF bigs that you forget the Mailman. So Many Great Bigs.
Last edited by O_Gardino on Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:48 am
ShelC wrote:

How good was the western conference when you can name so many HOF bigs that you forget the Mailman. So Many Great Bigs.
Ha! Or Kevin Garnett.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:51 am
O_Gardino wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Ha! Or Kevin Garnett.
Or Dirk.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:52 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:51 am
O_Gardino wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Ha! Or Kevin Garnett.
Or Dirk.
Young Gasol, Ming, Brand.

So Many Great Bigs.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

F the Mailman. You're right tho but for some reason I felt like he (and the Jazz) never really gave us problems? The Kings always had our number and we were just overmatched against the Blazers (Sheed, Grant, Dale Davis) and Lakers (prime Shaq).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That pass at 5:40...
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I remember Marion’s rookie season. The Suns had him ride one of those three wheeled bicycle taxi’s on camera down town picking up people to see if anyone recognized him. They totally set him up by having him pick up two guys that started talking smack about Marion as he peddled. He was trying to defend himself still posing as a taxi guy.

Guy #1 - “The Suns picked Marion with their pick. I heard he sucks”.

Marion- “Naw man, I heard he was good. Know what I’m sayin?”

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

I loved Marion - I may be biased (you don't say..) but Nash, Amare and him are just about my three favourite players of all time. Dirt worker on a pogo stick putting up 25 and 15 regularly. Awesome.

We probably shouldn't have traded him in hindsight but even though I wasn't paying too much attention to the Suns at the time I do remember being pretty excited about Shaq coming on board.