Cardinals

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
AmareIsGod

Re: Cardinals

Post by AmareIsGod »

DeAndre Hopkins! Omg.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Such a weird thing with it going down the same day as Tom Brady going to Tampa Bay.

People will look back at this deal in 6 months and think, wait, what happened here?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

What do you guys think Cards should do in the draft? Most people assuming we go for a RT..is there any chance we double down at WR? Do we go defense? Right now, here’s my order of preference:

1. Isaiah Simmons - Probably wishful thinking..he won’t make it to 8.
2. Derrick Brown - Most have him going top 7.
3. Henry Ruggs - trade down to 13-15 range and pick up a 2nd.
4. Draft a Tackle...I don’t have an opinion on who
5. Javon Kinlaw - also look at trading back in this scenario.

I almost feel like we’re gonna go with Ruggs. Just seems like a move Kingsbury would do. Imagine trying to defend a 4-wide formation with Hopkins and Ruggs on the outside, Kirk in the slot and Fitz as a pseudo TE. Not to mention Drake in the backfield and Kyler with the ball.

You almost have to always double Hopkins or he’s going to burn you. Ruggs on a fly route is going to draw a safety over. Fitz will have all sorts of space in the short game. Kirk as a 4th wr is gonna be 1 on 1 vs a LB or 4th DB. Drake will get a LB 1 on 1. Even if they manage to cover everyone, Kyler just has to beat a defensive lineman. The offense would be unstoppable. And you added a 2nd round pick, use that and remaining picks to bolster both lines.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Lamb

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think Lamb was my pick before Hopkins...but I think Ruggs speed and deep threat ability is more intriguing now. I’ve heard Lamb compared to Hopkins and Ruggs compared to Tyreek Hill. I think I’d rather have Hopkins and Hill than two Hopkins.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Gambo said they won't pick Ruggs at 8, so it would have to be a trade back scenario. I say go with Lamb. Make the offense dynamic. My first choice is Simmons though, if he's there.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think it’s probably hard to pick a WR at 8. Still need some help along both lines. If you trade back and add a 2nd, you can use that and 3rd round pick to bolster the lines. If you take a WR at 8, you don’t pick again until round 3 and that’s probably your only shot to draft another guy that’ll make an kind of impact this season.

Curious what else Gambo said? Does he think taking a WR is a real possibility?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Gambo clarified that how he gets his info is finding out what they won't do. That's why he was adamant that the Suns weren't going after DLo. I think it's very possible that they take a WR at 8, if someone they have higher doesn't fall, like Simmons. If they trade back, it could be for an O-Lineman or WR and more picks.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Gambo listed his Gambo 5 for the draft tomorrow. Jeff Okudah, Derrick Brown, Isaiah Summons, Andrew Thomas, and Tristan Wirfs. He wanted to include Ceedee Lamb as well but had to limit it to 5. I was surprised to hear he thinks Simmons will be there. He’d be my top choice.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cardinals go with Simmons! Love the pick...didn’t think he had a chance to be there at 8 a month ago.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:18 pm
Cardinals go with Simmons! Love the pick...didn’t think he had a chance to be there at 8 a month ago.
Love it, love it, love it. I didn't think so either. 3rd best player in the draft, imo. Perfect fit for Cards along with Campbell to maybe finally stop TEs from killing them every week.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, gotta think he starts at safety...though I’m sure we’ll move him all over the field like Clemson did

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm just glad they drafted a defender.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:42 pm
Ya, gotta think he starts at safety...though I’m sure we’ll move him all over the field like Clemson did
Why safety? Feels like he'd be more valuable at inside lb next to Campbell, play sideline to sideline and shut down TEs. Although, they do have Jordan Hicks, but I don't think he's anything special. Didn't the draft a safety (Jalen Thompson) in the supplemental draft last yr and was starting next to Baker?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t know much about Campbell, but Hicks is better right? He’s making 8 million a year. He played every single snap last year. He led the team in tackles. No way he’s getting benched.

I said safety because that seemed like the weakest spot. Yes they used a 5th round pick on Thompson last year. Is he anything special? I didn’t think so, not as good as Simmons. Is Campbell good? Maybe that’s the spot Simmons takes.

In reality, I don’t think it matters much what you call him. He’ll be on the field and I’m really happy we got him!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It feels like Hicks being the leading tackler doesn't mean much on a terrible defense and couldn't stop a TE if their life depended on it. Linebackers usually lead the league in tackles. I could be wrong, and Hicks might be great. Campbell was the leading tackler from Atl, and had shown the ability to cover TEs. My guess is that he was an upgrade on the opposite ILB.

You might be right, they might be able to play him all over the field at different positions, but I'm a little worried about him being a jack of all trades and master of none. You would think he could be a better version of Darryl Washington with some cover skills, but some think he could be the next coming of Sean Taylor. Not sure which is more valuable and I don't know much about Thompson, other than they were stoked to get him in the 5th round and thought he could have had a 1st round grade in this draft if he played college last yr. Sounded like he got better at the end of the yr and was young.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:38 am
It feels like Hicks being the leading tackler doesn't mean much on a terrible defense and couldn't stop a TE if their life depended on it. Linebackers usually lead the league in tackles. I could be wrong, and Hicks might be great. Campbell was the leading tackler from Atl, and had shown the ability to cover TEs. My guess is that he was an upgrade on the opposite ILB.

You might be right, they might be able to play him all over the field at different positions, but I'm a little worried about him being a jack of all trades and master of none. You would think he could be a better version of Darryl Washington with some cover skills, but some think he could be the next coming of Sean Taylor. Not sure which is more valuable and I don't know much about Thompson, other than they were stoked to get him in the 5th round and thought he could have had a 1st round grade in this draft if he played college last yr. Sounded like he got better at the end of the yr and was young.
I’m not able to watch enough cardinals games to have a super informed opinion, but trying to fit everyone onto the field seems like a pretty big upgrade from last years defense.

What I know, we’ve got 4 starter quality linebackers(Jones, Hicks, Campbell, Kennard) including one who’s All-Pro level. We’ve got 2 Pro-Bowl DB’s(PP and BB) 2 promising rookie DB’s(Thompson and Murphy) Add Simmons to that and if Alford is healthy and ready to go, we have 10 solid to elite LB/DB guys in the rotation. I have some doubts about the defensive line and the corner opposite PP, but we should have a respectable defense this year. Add in what I think will be a top tier offense, and we can do some damage.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:06 am
In2ition wrote:

I’m not able to watch enough cardinals games to have a super informed opinion, but trying to fit everyone onto the field seems like a pretty big upgrade from last years defense.

What I know, we’ve got 4 starter quality linebackers(Jones, Hicks, Campbell, Kennard) including one who’s All-Pro level. We’ve got 2 Pro-Bowl DB’s(PP and BB) 2 promising rookie DB’s(Thompson and Murphy) Add Simmons to that and if Alford is healthy and ready to go, we have 10 solid to elite LB/DB guys in the rotation. I have some doubts about the defensive line and the corner opposite PP, but we should have a respectable defense this year. Add in what I think will be a top tier offense, and we can do some damage.
I think Kennard is going to play opposite of Jones and rushing the QB. The addition of Jordan Phillips and Kennard along with a healthy Zach Allen, should in theory improve the defensive line tremendously to bolster Peters and Jones. Still probably need to find another DT though.

I was talking to a friend yesterday and if you consider Pat P as an addition after he had a down year with the suspension, Alford and Allen being healthy and Thompson & Murphy coming off the rookie seasons, they could have upgraded 7 positions & depth on the defense with (Pat P, Alford, Allen, Murphy, Phillips, Kennard, Campbell, Thompson, Simmons) with Hicks, Jones, Peters and Baker coming back relatively the same, as expected. Shutdown corners(Peterson, Alford), pass rushers (Jones, Phillips, Kennard), and backline defense w/ ability to cover TEs(Campbell, Simmons, Baker), this should be a very fun defense and year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:28 am
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:

I think Kennard is going to play opposite of Jones and rushing the QB. The addition of Jordan Phillips and Kennard along with a healthy Zach Allen, should in theory improve the defensive line tremendously to bolster Peters and Jones. Still probably need to find another DT though.

I was talking to a friend yesterday and if you consider Pat P as an addition after he had a down year with the suspension, Alford and Allen being healthy and Thompson & Murphy coming off the rookie seasons, they could have upgraded 7 positions & depth on the defense with (Pat P, Alford, Allen, Murphy, Phillips, Kennard, Campbell, Thompson, Simmons) with Hicks, Jones, Peters and Baker coming back relatively the same, as expected. Shutdown corners(Peterson, Alford), pass rushers (Jones, Phillips, Kennard), and backline defense w/ ability to cover TEs(Campbell, Simmons, Baker), this should be a very fun defense and year.
Ya Kennard will play opposite Jones, I’m calling them linebackers, but you can call them edge rushers.

Suns will always be my first love, and while I’m optimistic that they are turning the corner, I’m much more optimistic about the Cardinals. I think we’re legitimately good next year and make the playoffs. Kyler Murray is the best building block in Arizona sports. I’m not always great at scouting nfl players, I’m often wrong, but I really wanted Kyler and I’m happy to be right for once! Hopefully Simmons is another right pick!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:41 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:28 am
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Ya Kennard will play opposite Jones, I’m calling them linebackers, but you can call them edge rushers.

Suns will always be my first love, and while I’m optimistic that they are turning the corner, I’m much more optimistic about the Cardinals. I think we’re legitimately good next year and make the playoffs. Kyler Murray is the best building block in Arizona sports. I’m not always great at scouting nfl players, I’m often wrong, but I really wanted Kyler and I’m happy to be right for once! Hopefully Simmons is another right pick!
Simmons is either Sean Taylor or Bryan Urlacher. Either way, you can't go wrong. I'm really excited for this season. I hope they can pick up more gems the rest of the draft, but I'm not too worried about it after that pick.