NBA Draft 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
pickle

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by pickle »

Cap wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:35 am
pickle wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:33 pm
I don't want to come off as an ass, but how does anyone average 0.2 of anything over 3 games...
Those are stats per 40 minutes, not per game.
Oh duh... missed that "minor" detail... thanks for clearing that up.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Not 2020 but have you guys heard of this kid, Josh Christopher, that just declared he's going to ASU? Sounds like a mini-Oubre Jr. in guard form.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://arizonasports.com/story/2296380 ... nba-draft/

Pretty good article with some pretty reassuring quotes from JJ and Monty. From the article, they sound like they are planning on keeping the pick.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

It's interesting to me how the mock drafts have shifted inn the last few months. It seems like most mocks had Wiseman in the top 2 or 3, but now he has slipped in many. Obi Toppin has gone from mid to late lottery to top 5. Edwards is considered a candidate for the #1 in a few blog posts. Halliburton seems to have slipped a bit.

I'm very curious about what is prompting these moves. The guys aren't playing or working out with teams. Are the reporters just starting to calm down after the season and evaluate players more evenly? Are they getting intel from teams?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

carey

Post by carey »

What do you guys think will happen with the draft if we don't finish the season?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:40 pm
What do you guys think will happen with the draft if we don't finish the season?
I'd have to guess it would be based on current records. Some teams haven't played as many games as others so it would probably come down to winning percentages would be my guess.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:01 pm
carey wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:40 pm
I'd have to guess it would be based on current records. Some teams haven't played as many games as others so it would probably come down to winning percentages would be my guess.
I don't see how you can change from what it was at the beginning of the season.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Some fans talked about the draft:

He likes Maxie and Vassell for the Suns at 10.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I wouldn't mind trading back a few spots and picking up Paul Reed. That guy just looks like he would fit what we're trying to do so well. I don't get why he's not higher in mock drafts. I would easily put him in my top 10.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I like Reed. Looks like a playmaker on the defensive end.

Split T

Post by Split T »

How reliable is his shot? It doesn’t look like he took many 3’s. That’s the key...if he’s going to play the 4 next to Ayton, he’s going to need to shoot.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I don't think of him as a shooter at all, which is part of why he's so far back. I think he could develop a reliable jumper, but he doesn't have it yet.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:47 pm
I don't think of him as a shooter at all, which is part of why he's so far back. I think he could develop a reliable jumper, but he doesn't have it yet.
In that case I don’t think I’d draft him at 10. I think he provides a lot of useful skills, but without a jump shot, he’s essentially a backup 5.

Right now, I’m hoping Hayes or Haliburton drop to us. If not I’d take Vassell.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I'm pretty sure you could get Reed in the 20's.

I really do like this year's draft. I think someone good will drop to us at 10.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think we could see a lot of solid players come from it. There’s no can’t miss stars at the top of the draft, but we’re not drafting there anyways, so no big deal.

There’s some similarities to the the 2013 draft in that there’s no consensus top guy. Even with how weak everyone thought that draft was, it still turned out Giannis, Rudy, Oladipo, McCollum, Porter, Schroeder, Adams, Hardaway, KCP, Snell, Dieng. That’s at least 11 useful players.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The two big risers as could pertain to the Suns this week seem to be Kira Lewis and Grant Riller.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:05 am
The two big risers as could pertain to the Suns this week seem to be Kira Lewis and Grant Riller.
Riller is a senior projected to go in the second round. So, yeah, that's probably Jones's guy at 10. :lol:

Lewis really is an interesting prospect. I hadn't checked him out before. Thanks for pointing him out. At first glance he seems like a DeJaunte Murray type player. I'll watch some more to see what I think.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:18 am
In2ition wrote:
Riller is a senior projected to go in the second round. So, yeah, that's probably Jones's guy at 10. :lol:

Lewis really is an interesting prospect. I hadn't checked him out before. Thanks for pointing him out. At first glance he seems like a DeJaunte Murray type player. I'll watch some more to see what I think.
I wouldn't have mentioned Riller if he was only a second round prospect. He could be rising into the lottery. Some really see a lot of Dame in his game.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:21 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:18 am
In2ition wrote:

I wouldn't have mentioned Riller if he was only a second round prospect. He could be rising into the lottery. Some really see a lot of Dame in his game.
I didn't mean that as a knock on you. Jones might actually pick Riller at 10. :lol:

But...

Those guys in the tweets are hoops hipsters. They like things to be different just for the sake of being different. That's how they get followers on Twitter.

ESPN: 41
Tankathon: 57
NBADraft.Net: Undrafted
Sports Illustrated: 33
Yahoo: Undrafted
CBS, The Bleacher Report, and FoxSports: Only ran the first 30 picks, and Riller is not among them.

ESPN might be the only site left with real reporting insight, now that they bought out Draft Express. Still, I've found Tankathon to be surprisingly accurate considering that they don't claim to do any real basketball analysis. I really don't put much stock in the rest of those sites, tbh.