NBA Season Suspended due to COVID-19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: NBA Season Suspended due to COVID-19

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap is technically correct, although my initial reaction is that it is extremely unlikely that COVID-19 is still kicking our asses 6 months from now. Then I looked at the data.

I think I posted this here a while ago, but maybe I did't.

https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/

The U.S. has flattened the curve and new cases have been found at a steady (not growing) rate for most of this month. With about 1 million confirmed cases, we are at about 0.3% of our population. At the current rate the virus is spreading, the US has about 1,600 more weeks until we all have it. We can be pretty sure that isn't going to happen, but it's a fun number to throw around.

My first instinct in looking at the data tis to assume that the curve will drop now that is has flattened. But with governors eager to reopen states, we could see a second growth spike or continued steady amounts of new cases.

If we reopen business in May while we are still seeing 200k new cases per week, we will see another spike. Maybe it's June before we recognize that spike. It's completely plausible that we could be starting a second round of quarantine in June or July.

I hope we are smarter than that and stay home long enough to get this thing knocked out.

For comparison, South Korea stayed flat for about 2 weeks before seeing a huge drop in new cases found. That was at 0.02% of the population. France and Germany have similar numbers to SK.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

Right now there is little evidence that surviving COVID-19 protects you from re-acquiring it. Which means antibody tests will be meaningless, and makes engineering a vaccine to be incredibly difficult (if not impossible). I have no idea what the new normal looks like, but it won't look like the old normal.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In former-Suns Covid news, both Leandro Barbosa and his wife got it and she got it while 8 months pregnant:.

And Sebastian Telfair’s mother and brother both died from it:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Dude! At least separate the posts. I went from, "Ah, that's great!" to "Oh, man. That's horrible." in a split second.
"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Indy wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:10 pm
Right now there is little evidence that surviving COVID-19 protects you from re-acquiring it. Which means antibody tests will be meaningless, and makes engineering a vaccine to be incredibly difficult (if not impossible). I have no idea what the new normal looks like, but it won't look like the old normal.
You can kiss next season goodbye. Most indications tell us when you loosen things up, infections/deaths/chronic illnesses/permanent disability from this virus increase. Too many states seem to want to try wishful thinking on for size without the infrastructure and treatment to handle infection and let people be somewhat more active.
I think they should scrap this season and get permission to put on some rivalry matches and televise them only.
I hope they Figure out a way to modify next season so we can watch basketball on tv at least without infecting the teams and all the behind the scenes productions.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Is there some way to duct in cheering from everyone's home computer who'd watch the game that way? Is the only thing I can think of that'd help the weirdness of playing in an empty (or at least socially distanced) stadium otherwise, if that's the only option.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I’m watching Archie Goodwin highlight videos. I’ll take live sports any way I can get them.

Indy

Post by Indy »

3rdside wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:57 pm
Is there some way to duct in cheering from everyone's home computer who'd watch the game that way? Is the only thing I can think of that'd help the weirdness of playing in an empty (or at least socially distanced) stadium otherwise, if that's the only option.
Hey, the suns are pretty used to that!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:54 am
I’m watching Archie Goodwin highlight videos. I’ll take live sports any way I can get them.
We need to send someone up north to check on Bazz. I can't remember where you are, but I can drive to Toronto in about 5 hours.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

3rdside wrote:
For Suns home games vs the Lakers, can they pipe in a bunch of Laker fans cheering when the away team makes a basket? To simulate the real life experience?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

We've all watched sports with the MUTE on before. I don't think it'll be any different for us. For the players, yes.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:55 am
Shabazz wrote:
We need to send someone up north to check on Bazz. I can't remember where you are, but I can drive to Toronto in about 5 hours.
Yeah, but will they let you across the border?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:26 am
We've all watched sports with the MUTE on before. I don't think it'll be any different for us. For the players, yes.
Speak for yourself. I have NEVER watched basketball without sound.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:42 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:10 pm
You can kiss next season goodbye. Most indications tell us when you loosen things up, infections/deaths/chronic illnesses/permanent disability from this virus increase. Too many states seem to want to try wishful thinking on for size without the infrastructure and treatment to handle infection and let people be somewhat more active.
I think they should scrap this season and get permission to put on some rivalry matches and televise them only.
I hope they Figure out a way to modify next season so we can watch basketball on tv at least without infecting the teams and all the behind the scenes productions.
Hmm, I’m in the other camp...I think they’ll eventually play some kind of condensed season/playoffs. We won’t see any fans in attendance, but the games will go on. Though what happens in the next month or so as states start to open up a bit more will be key.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Ha. From Montreal originally but have lived in Los Angeles for the last 13 years.

I’m clearly not doing well.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:27 am
The Bobster wrote:
You never got the Rockets or Jazz broadcast on League Pass?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

3rdside wrote:
Korean baseball has been allowing fans to attend games as cheering robots and even control the robots.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28484536
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:02 pm
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Ha. From Montreal originally but have lived in Los Angeles for the last 13 years.

See, I am not doing well either or I would have remember you as an LA guy.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:03 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:27 am
The Bobster wrote:
You never got the Rockets or Jazz broadcast on League Pass?
Ha ha! I record both away and home. I'm sure I watch our home broadcast for those telecasts. It used to be the same for Portland but I like Calabro who they've got there now. The old pxp guy was absolutely horrible!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:31 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:02 pm
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

See, I am not doing well either or I would have remember you as an LA guy.
I had the pleasure of meeting 'Bazz at a LA Clippers / Suns game a number of years ago. I guess it was within 13 years ago. Fun fact, you and 'Bazz are the only two .netters that I've met in person in all these years!
"Be Legendary."