NBA Season Suspended due to COVID-19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: NBA Season Suspended due to COVID-19

Post by The Bobster »

Stay-at-home has been extended until May 15th in Arizona, and I don't think we'll be an exception.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:31 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:02 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:55 am
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:54 am
I’m watching Archie Goodwin highlight videos. I’ll take live sports any way I can get them.
We need to send someone up north to check on Bazz. I can't remember where you are, but I can drive to Toronto in about 5 hours.
Ha. From Montreal originally but have lived in Los Angeles for the last 13 years.

I’m clearly not doing well.
See, I am not doing well either or I would have remember you as an LA guy.
I do identify more as a Canadian.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:01 pm
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
I’m watching Archie Goodwin highlight videos. I’ll take live sports any way I can get them.
We need to send someone up north to check on Bazz. I can't remember where you are, but I can drive to Toronto in about 5 hours.
Ha. From Montreal originally but have lived in Los Angeles for the last 13 years.

I do identify more as a Canadian.
Where's that gif of the LA douches in the stands?
"Be Legendary."

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:50 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:42 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:10 pm
Right now there is little evidence that surviving COVID-19 protects you from re-acquiring it. Which means antibody tests will be meaningless, and makes engineering a vaccine to be incredibly difficult (if not impossible). I have no idea what the new normal looks like, but it won't look like the old normal.
You can kiss next season goodbye. Most indications tell us when you loosen things up, infections/deaths/chronic illnesses/permanent disability from this virus increase. Too many states seem to want to try wishful thinking on for size without the infrastructure and treatment to handle infection and let people be somewhat more active.
I think they should scrap this season and get permission to put on some rivalry matches and televise them only.
I hope they Figure out a way to modify next season so we can watch basketball on tv at least without infecting the teams and all the behind the scenes productions.
Hmm, I’m in the other camp...I think they’ll eventually play some kind of condensed season/playoffs. We won’t see any fans in attendance, but the games will go on. Though what happens in the next month or so as states start to open up a bit more will be key.
Everybody is losing money right now, specially the players (many also happens to live day-to-day), so the incentive to start playing again is high on both sides, even on empty stadiums.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:06 pm
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

I had the pleasure of meeting 'Bazz at a LA Clippers / Suns game a number of years ago. I guess it was within 13 years ago. Fun fact, you and 'Bazz are the only two .netters that I've met in person in all these years!
Vegas in like 2014? 2015? I can't remember when that was, exactly. But it was a pleasure.

I think I have met about 8-10 or so folks from here, but some aren't around anymore like Sose or Charles V. But it has been a really long time. I think the last was right before I left AZ. We were at Zipps and I think it was (at least) Cap, V9, Laz, and illmatic. I think it was a weekend so Nodack couldn't join us that time.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:54 am
3rdside wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:57 pm
Is there some way to duct in cheering from everyone's home computer who'd watch the game that way? Is the only thing I can think of that'd help the weirdness of playing in an empty (or at least socially distanced) stadium otherwise, if that's the only option.
Hey, the suns are pretty used to that!
Ha yeah we might have some home court advantage for a change

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:32 pm
3rdside wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:57 pm
Is there some way to duct in cheering from everyone's home computer who'd watch the game that way? Is the only thing I can think of that'd help the weirdness of playing in an empty (or at least socially distanced) stadium otherwise, if that's the only option.
Korean baseball has been allowing fans to attend games as cheering robots and even control the robots.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28484536
UK has tentatively agreed to restart the existing football (soccer) season on June 8, but players are already concerned about their welfare so no guarantees .. and they're discussing using CGI imagery to overlay fake crowds to make it more realistic for the fans at home, acknowledging that empty stadiums are weird for the viewers as well not just the players.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It has been interesting seeing American TV respond to the virus. Some shows just stopped mid stream. Others like American Idol made an episode of just rehashing old tape to fill the slot for a week and then continued on with the show by letting the contestants perform from home to tracks allowing the show to continue.

As a musician I have been wondering if and when I will be allowed to go back to work again and what changes will have to be made. Even after opening things up are people going to rush to group up? Would you feel comfortable in a concert or sporting event with a thousand people all crammed together?

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Nodack wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:27 am
It has been interesting seeing American TV respond to the virus. Some shows just stopped mid stream. Others like American Idol made an episode of just rehashing old tape to fill the slot for a week and then continued on with the show by letting the contestants perform from home to tracks allowing the show to continue.

As a musician I have been wondering if and when I will be allowed to go back to work again and what changes will have to be made. Even after opening things up are people going to rush to group up? Would you feel comfortable in a concert or sporting event with a thousand people all crammed together?
I feel you. Lucky me that 80% of my income comes from teaching, because I don't even know when I'll be able to do a show again here in Brazil.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yeah, it looks like I will be looking for a new line of work, at least for the next year or so. I hate teaching. Kids never want to learn theory. They only want to learn their favorite song.

BTW, Brazil has the best meat I have ever tasted.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:13 am
Yeah, it looks like I will be looking for a new line of work, at least for the next year or so. I hate teaching. Kids never want to learn theory. They only want to learn their favorite song.

BTW, Brazil has the best meat I have ever tasted.
Have you ever been to Argentina?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Why yes I have. Right after Brazil as a matter of fact. I had one steak at an dinner theatre/tango place in Buenos Aires and it was horrible. It was a dinner theatre though and they are not know for spending on their food at those places worldwide. I ate a steak at another nicer restaurant and it was ok. I really liked their pizza at another place.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Best steak I’ve ever had was in Buenos Aires

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

My best meal ever was in Rio. I was a picky eater in a country I don't speak the language. I took a chance and ordered what I hoped was some sort of steak. It was basically a Tenderloin Parmigiana and it was delicious.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Everyone that I know that travels around South America raves about the beef in Argentina. I haven't been yet.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I was on vacation there with 6 women. As exciting as that sounds it had it’s drawbacks. They all loved to shop. I hate shopping.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:33 pm
I was on vacation there with 6 women. As exciting as that sounds it had it’s drawbacks. They all loved to shop. I hate shopping.
same. whenever we are somewhere new, my wife loves to go into local shops and see what they have. it drives me crazy. but then I spend roughly 2000 hours over the last decade watching a sports team lose more games than they win (by a wide margin) and she hasn't complained about it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I see but, did she have to sit there and watch the games with you or did she do something else?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:46 am
I see but, did she have to sit there and watch the games with you or did she do something else?
She puts up with me when I postpone/skip our time together. It is a little easier since we moved to Michigan, because most of the games are after the house is asleep and I just have to give up sleep to watch them. But it is still a drain on her.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Where were you at in Michigan again? I spent a lot of time in Michigan a long time ago.