Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:26 am
Superbone wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:30 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:31 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:06 pm
I've been enjoying Discovery even though I'm reading that a lot of Trekkies think it's too mature and dark. It is weird though how the theme music and opening credits remind me of Westworld.
I got through 2 episodes of Discovery. The newest Trek shows just don't feel like Trek to me. It's supposed to be about extremely competent officers, engineers, scientists working together in harmony to solve tough problems. The recent shows are more about melodrama and explosions and special effects and crap like that.
At it’s heart, it is. But you wouldn’t know that if you’ve only seen the first 2 episodes. I’m two episodes from the end of the first season.
In fact, after finishing season 1, that's exactly what it is.
That is what *one* episode from Season 1 is about. Despite having one of the best Trek speeches of all time at the end of Season 1, the season in whole wasn't good (IMO). I will say that Season 2 is so much better. Still too much melo drama, but so much better than Season 1.

Don't get me started on Picard.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I enjoyed Discovery, both season 1 and 2. There was a lot of melodrama, and some seemingly oddly built characters, but I enjoyed it much more than many of the other series in the Star Trek realm after Next Generation.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:32 am
That is what *one* episode from Season 1 is about. Despite having one of the best Trek speeches of all time at the end of Season 1, the season in whole wasn't good (IMO). I will say that Season 2 is so much better. Still too much melo drama, but so much better than Season 1.

I'm just about to finish Picard. So bummed out about it. I really like spending time with Sir Patrick Stewart again, but otherwise it just doesn't look or feel like a Trek show at all. I could go on and on about what I dislike about it, but suffice to say that the acting is cheesy and the writing is cringey and the overall story didn't pull me in. And, again, it didn't feel like Trek at all. It felt more like some generic space show like The Expanse or whatever, with Patrick Stewart in it for no reason.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:06 am
Indy wrote:

I'm just about to finish Picard. So bummed out about it. I really like spending time with Sir Patrick Stewart again, but otherwise it just doesn't look or feel like a Trek show at all. I could go on and on about what I dislike about it, but suffice to say that the acting is cheesy and the writing is cringey and the overall story didn't pull me in. And, again, it didn't feel like Trek at all. It felt more like some generic space show like The Expanse or whatever, with Patrick Stewart in it for no reason.
I was not a fan, but I disagree about the acting. The only cheesy acting was from the Romulan brother and sister. I thought everyone else did a great job (with what they were given). But the story sucked/writing was bad--which is crazy for such a great writer to be the main force behind the show. I think Chabon is a really good novelist. Maybe it just doesn't translate to TV. And it feels like they didn't have anyone that really knew Trek history, or even as much as they should about Picard. Too many inconsistencies. I feel like the team must have watched 8-10 "picard" episodes of TNG and the movies, and called it a day.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:26 am
Superbone wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:30 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:31 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:06 pm
I've been enjoying Discovery even though I'm reading that a lot of Trekkies think it's too mature and dark. It is weird though how the theme music and opening credits remind me of Westworld.
I got through 2 episodes of Discovery. The newest Trek shows just don't feel like Trek to me. It's supposed to be about extremely competent officers, engineers, scientists working together in harmony to solve tough problems. The recent shows are more about melodrama and explosions and special effects and crap like that.
At it’s heart, it is. But you wouldn’t know that if you’ve only seen the first 2 episodes. I’m two episodes from the end of the first season.
In fact, after finishing season 1, that's exactly what it is.

Uh, oh. I was planning on watching that next. (after Discover S2) Also, thinking of watching DS9. Never watched that series! Been reading good things while reading about Discovery eps.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Disco S2 >> Picard. But there are a few scenes in Picard I loved. Maybe nostalgia, though.

I am/was watching DS9. I got half-way through Season 3 (watching along with the Mission Log Podcast) but things got a little crazy once Winter hit and I lost track. The current craziness hasn't helped so I am still stuck there. I need to pick it up again. I also haven't seen more than a handful of Voyager episodes, and I know a lot of people that like that more than DS9. I haven't seen a single minute of Enterprise.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:27 pm
Disco S2 >> Picard. But there are a few scenes in Picard I loved. Maybe nostalgia, though.

I am/was watching DS9. I got half-way through Season 3 (watching along with the Mission Log Podcast) but things got a little crazy once Winter hit and I lost track. The current craziness hasn't helped so I am still stuck there. I need to pick it up again. I also haven't seen more than a handful of Voyager episodes, and I know a lot of people that like that more than DS9. I haven't seen a single minute of Enterprise.
I tried watching both Voyager and Enterprise but couldn't get into either of them at the time. How were you liking DS9?
"Be Legendary."

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Guys, came late to the conversation, but if any of you want it, I have the Celtics x Lakers best of enemies documentary and the Dream Team one (and probably the book by Jack Mccallum in my HDD.

I can upload to my One Drive and post the links, if that's alright.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:48 pm
Guys, came late to the conversation, but if any of you want it, I have the Celtics x Lakers best of enemies documentary and the Dream Team one (and probably the book by Jack Mccallum in my HDD.

I'd love to watch these!

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:

DS9 and ENT both start out pretty poor but get a lot better. They reward patience.

I’ve never been a big fan of VOY, but most of its fans seem to think it follows the same pattern of the later seasons being the best.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:38 pm
Indy wrote:

I tried watching both Voyager and Enterprise but couldn't get into either of them at the time. How were you liking DS9?
I really miss the "morality tale of the week told via a science fiction story" pattern of TNG and even TOS. DS9 doesn't seem like it is doing any of that. Although I did hear it gets better in Season 4.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:21 am
Indy wrote:

DS9 and ENT both start out pretty poor but get a lot better. They reward patience.

I’ve never been a big fan of VOY, but most of its fans seem to think it follows the same pattern of the later seasons being the best.
Did ENT follow the DS9 path or TNG path with regard to story telling? I think the entire point of ST is to put a mirror up against our current-day issues and show us the path forward. I am not getting that at all from DS9 (or Disco or Picard). Maybe I am just old and people today don't use SciFi the way it was used the past 100 years.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:50 am
Cap wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:21 am
Indy wrote:

Did ENT follow the DS9 path or TNG path with regard to story telling? I think the entire point of ST is to put a mirror up against our current-day issues and show us the path forward. I am not getting that at all from DS9 (or Disco or Picard). Maybe I am just old and people today don't use SciFi the way it was used the past 100 years.
There were certainly some episodes like that, but I wouldn’t say it was “the entire point” of the series.

I’m with you on Picard. Disappointed. I haven’t bothered with Disco yet, but I’m sure I will eventually.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Furlanfufi wrote:

Yes please!

Also, what happened to the logo on your avatar?

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

pickle wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:28 pm
Furlanfufi wrote:

Yes please!

Also, what happened to the logo on your avatar?
You mean the part where the number should be?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Watch to the end for the NBA payoff:

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

18 year anniversary

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Practice. I wish we were talking about practice. Practice. Not a game. Not a game... but practice.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Craig Hodges calls out Michael Jordan over 'cocaine circus' comments in 'The Last Dance' documentary

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/crai ... cumentary/
"One of the things as players we call this a fraternity," Hodges said. "So I'm watching the first episode and I was upset about the 'cocaine circus.' That bothered me because I was thinking about the brothers who are on that picture with you who have to explain to their families who are getting ready to watch this great Michael Jordan documentary event and they know you're on the team, and now you've got to explain that to a 12-year-old boy."
"Be Legendary."