NBA Draft 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:17 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:21 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:18 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:05 am
The two big risers as could pertain to the Suns this week seem to be Kira Lewis and Grant Riller.
Riller is a senior projected to go in the second round. So, yeah, that's probably Jones's guy at 10. :lol:

Lewis really is an interesting prospect. I hadn't checked him out before. Thanks for pointing him out. At first glance he seems like a DeJaunte Murray type player. I'll watch some more to see what I think.
I wouldn't have mentioned Riller if he was only a second round prospect. He could be rising into the lottery. Some really see a lot of Dame in his game.
I didn't mean that as a knock on you. Jones might actually pick Riller at 10. :lol:

But...

Those guys in the tweets are hoops hipsters. They like things to be different just for the sake of being different. That's how they get followers on Twitter.

ESPN: 41
Tankathon: 57
NBADraft.Net: Undrafted
Sports Illustrated: 33
Yahoo: Undrafted
CBS, The Bleacher Report, and FoxSports: Only ran the first 30 picks, and Riller is not among them.

ESPN might be the only site left with real reporting insight, now that they bought out Draft Express. Still, I've found Tankathon to be surprisingly accurate considering that they don't claim to do any real basketball analysis. I really don't put much stock in the rest of those sites, tbh.
I think the sites are usually a little behind the hoops hipsters. I didn't take it as a knock on me. I was just trying to let everyone know of something that might be a bit ahead of the curve.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

These are the type of things that make me want to take James Wiseman, if he drops, instead of a player like Obi Toppin at 10 or 11.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:26 pm
These are the type of things that make me want to take James Wiseman, if he drops, instead of a player like Obi Toppin at 10 or 11.
To be Ayton’s backup?

I don’t think there’s any chance he drops to 10, but I’d rather take someone who would be useful for more than 12 minutes a night.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 pm
In2ition wrote:
To be Ayton’s backup?

I don’t think there’s any chance he drops to 10, but I’d rather take someone who would be useful for more than 12 minutes a night.
Yeah, to be Ayton's backup and a safety net if things don't work out or because of injury. They could still get a backup PG and PF in FA, imo.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I mean, we’re picking at 10...from a talent standpoint I couldn’t argue with the pick. It’d be a weird fit for me. But he’d be the biggest talent on the board. Almost never a bad idea to take the biggest talent.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Taking a center would be a tough pill to swallow. I know you aren't supposed to think too much about positions and are supposed to draft the best player available. But at #10 how can we even be sure who the best player is? Drafting a C is a way to guarantee that the guy is barely going to get any minutes and has a small chance of success here.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think the FO still puts shooting as a priority. Ideally, that shooter is a big or a PG who can play off the ball. We'll also have some holes to fill up front if Baynes and Dario end up elsewhere.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:19 am
Taking a center would be a tough pill to swallow. I know you aren't supposed to think too much about positions and are supposed to draft the best player available. But at #10 how can we even be sure who the best player is? Drafting a C is a way to guarantee that the guy is barely going to get any minutes and has a small chance of success here.
Ya that’s how I feel as well. Unless we think he’s a can’t miss prospect that’s value will go up once he hits the court.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:55 am
I think the FO still puts shooting as a priority. Ideally, that shooter is a big or a PG who can play off the ball. We'll also have some holes to fill up front if Baynes and Dario end up elsewhere.
I think so too...I’m thinking Vassell, Nesmith, Bey. Who are the other shooters in that range? Think Haliburton feels like a James Jones guy to me. His percentages are great, though he’s got a funky release and isn’t really a pull up threat.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
I'm dense I guess. You would take Wiseman because most scoring centers are not great defenders?

I'm not too worried about it, since I doubt either Wiseman or Toppin drops to 10. Just trying to understand your point.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:14 am
ShelC wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:55 am
I think so too...I’m thinking Vassell, Nesmith, Bey. Who are the other shooters in that range? Think Haliburton feels like a James Jones guy to me. His percentages are great, though he’s got a funky release and isn’t really a pull up threat.
I think playing with Booker, Ayton and Kelly, being a good catch-and-shoot 3-pt guy would be a huge boon. I have very little confidence in Ricky there. I think Haliburton would be a really nice fit.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, he’s my top guy right now.

carey

Post by carey »

I like Haliburton. Any love for Grant Riller here? Seems like a Jones kind of guy. Older & polished. Lethal first step.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

carey wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:40 pm
I like Haliburton. Any love for Grant Riller here? Seems like a Jones kind of guy. Older & polished. Lethal first step.
I’ve only watched a little video on him and this is likely unfair, but I get “Mike James dominating Euroleague” vibes when I watch him.

carey

Post by carey »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:45 pm
carey wrote:
I’ve only watched a little video on him and this is likely unfair, but I get “Mike James dominating Euroleague” vibes when I watch him.
Yeah, could be. It's hard to gauge small school guys. The Stepien did a piece on him tho: https://www.thestepien.com/2020/03/30/c ... nt-riller/
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:09 am
In2ition wrote:
I'm dense I guess. You would take Wiseman because most scoring centers are not great defenders?

I'm not too worried about it, since I doubt either Wiseman or Toppin drops to 10. Just trying to understand your point.
What I took from his post is that our defense drops off majorly when Ayton sits. Honestly I don’t know if Wiseman is going to be good defensively, but being able to keep a defensive anchor on the floor at all times is the goal..at least that’s what I interpreted.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:01 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
In2ition wrote:

What I took from his post is that our defense drops off majorly when Ayton sits. Honestly I don’t know if Wiseman is going to be good defensively, but being able to keep a defensive anchor on the floor at all times is the goal..at least that’s what I interpreted.
Exactly.
The point was there was a large glaring drop off in defense when Ayton went to the bench, was hurt or suspended, and when Baynes was playing hurt. Like I've said in the past, the best teams are super long and big. If Ayton is out, you have a chance to continue on playing the same way, that is having rim protecting switchable rim running big on the floor with wings.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:48 pm
Shabazz wrote:
carey wrote:
Yeah, could be. It's hard to gauge small school guys. The Stepien did a piece on him tho: https://www.thestepien.com/2020/03/30/c ... nt-riller/
I am really liking the idea of Riller. Besides needing shooting at PG, the Suns really need a guard next to Booker that puts pressure on the defense by driving the lanes and drawing fouls. He can do both, which would keep teams from loading up on Booker and Ayton. He's actually quite good in the PnR. If you were to add another real 3 pt threat, it makes the opposing team very uncomfortable trying to use gimmicky defense to stop the Suns. I think Booker would appreciate a guy like that, but I also agree that he gives me Mike James vibes in his style of play, but not the attitude though. Seems like a really good kid.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
carey wrote:
Pro tip: Watch a larger video. You can see more details.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:15 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:01 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Exactly.
The point was there was a large glaring drop off in defense when Ayton went to the bench, was hurt or suspended, and when Baynes was playing hurt. Like I've said in the past, the best teams are super long and big. If Ayton is out, you have a chance to continue on playing the same way, that is having rim protecting switchable rim running big on the floor with wings.
Fair enough.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan