NBA Season Suspended due to COVID-19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Drewsprocket

Re: NBA Season Suspended due to COVID-19

Post by Drewsprocket »

Split T wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:50 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:42 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:10 pm
Right now there is little evidence that surviving COVID-19 protects you from re-acquiring it. Which means antibody tests will be meaningless, and makes engineering a vaccine to be incredibly difficult (if not impossible). I have no idea what the new normal looks like, but it won't look like the old normal.
You can kiss next season goodbye. Most indications tell us when you loosen things up, infections/deaths/chronic illnesses/permanent disability from this virus increase. Too many states seem to want to try wishful thinking on for size without the infrastructure and treatment to handle infection and let people be somewhat more active.
I think they should scrap this season and get permission to put on some rivalry matches and televise them only.
I hope they Figure out a way to modify next season so we can watch basketball on tv at least without infecting the teams and all the behind the scenes productions.
Hmm, I’m in the other camp...I think they’ll eventually play some kind of condensed season/playoffs. We won’t see any fans in attendance, but the games will go on. Though what happens in the next month or so as states start to open up a bit more will be key.
My stoke level would be off the charts to watch some fan less playoff basketball!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

What about finishing the season? Anybody? Is it too late?
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy, you ever see photo collections like this one?

https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-misera ... ng-photos/

They kill me every time.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:28 pm

They kill me every time.
That's so funny. I don't miss those days.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:27 pm
It sounds like the nba is still planning on it. Would require daily testing and almost surely one site for all the games. Disney World seems to be the leading contender.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
At first I thought there was no way they'd finish any regular season games. But I heard they want to get to 70/82 games played so that they don't have to give back any of their TV deal money. So I think they really want to try to find a way to do that.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:19 pm
Superbone wrote:
At first I thought there was no way they'd finish any regular season games. But I heard they want to get to 70/82 games played so that they don't have to give back any of their TV deal money. So I think they really want to try to find a way to do that.
I’m all for it to be honest. And not just because I have some bets that looked like they’re going to pay off. If they do though, it’s going to put a squeeze on next season.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Here's an article recapping the call between Silver and the Players Association last night:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/291 ... re-players

"Silver said no decision on returning to play this season needed to be made in May, nor immediately into the start of June."

"Silver said returning to play this season at one or two potential sites -- including Orlando and Las Vegas -- made the most sense, and that no decision on the league season needed to be made before June."

"Silver expressed a desire that the NBA complete its season with a traditional playoff structure that includes seven-game series in each round of the playoffs, but he left open the possibility of play-in tournaments to accommodate more teams in resumption of a shortened season. Silver also told players that the start of next season could be pushed until December, regardless of whether this season was completed or not."

"There are no guarantees when fans could fully return to NBA arenas next season."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:28 pm

They kill me every time.
Ha! The nice thing is that it doesn't happen at shopping malls or department stores. We almost never do that together. More so if we are traveling to a new country and there are small local shops.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:00 am
Where were you at in Michigan again? I spent a lot of time in Michigan a long time ago.
SW. In the Kalamazoo area. At least for another 32 days or so.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:50 am
Here's an article recapping the call between Silver and the Players Association last night:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/291 ... re-players

"Silver said no decision on returning to play this season needed to be made in May, nor immediately into the start of June."

"Silver said returning to play this season at one or two potential sites -- including Orlando and Las Vegas -- made the most sense, and that no decision on the league season needed to be made before June."

"Silver expressed a desire that the NBA complete its season with a traditional playoff structure that includes seven-game series in each round of the playoffs, but he left open the possibility of play-in tournaments to accommodate more teams in resumption of a shortened season. Silver also told players that the start of next season could be pushed until December, regardless of whether this season was completed or not."

"There are no guarantees when fans could fully return to NBA arenas next season."
If they don't make a decision about the season until mid-June, that means the draft is probably pushed back to august or September. That could really suck for a college kid on the bubble. Might put some pressure on them not to declare for the draft.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Indy wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:44 am
Nodack wrote:
Where were you at in Michigan again? I spent a lot of time in Michigan a long time ago.
I’ve got a gal in Kalamazoo.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:51 am
Indy wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:44 am
Nodack wrote:
I’ve got a gal in Kalamazoo.
Bet Swingy had that on 78.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I’m sure he did.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Orlando, Disney World Reportedly 'Clear Front-Runner' for NBA's Return Venue

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

3rdside wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:57 pm
Is there some way to duct in cheering from everyone's home computer who'd watch the game that way? Is the only thing I can think of that'd help the weirdness of playing in an empty (or at least socially distanced) stadium otherwise, if that's the only option.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... y-stadiums

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

3rdside wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:29 am
3rdside wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:57 pm
Is there some way to duct in cheering from everyone's home computer who'd watch the game that way? Is the only thing I can think of that'd help the weirdness of playing in an empty (or at least socially distanced) stadium otherwise, if that's the only option.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... y-stadiums
I’ve thought of this from the beginning of the pandemic. Especially for the late night comedy shows. We need technology to allow the viewer from home to be able to affect an on-site simulated crowd.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

A remote with an up or down vote button. Good joke? Up vote. Bad joke. Down vote.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:06 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:31 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:02 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:55 am
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:54 am
I’m watching Archie Goodwin highlight videos. I’ll take live sports any way I can get them.
We need to send someone up north to check on Bazz. I can't remember where you are, but I can drive to Toronto in about 5 hours.
Ha. From Montreal originally but have lived in Los Angeles for the last 13 years.

I’m clearly not doing well.
See, I am not doing well either or I would have remember you as an LA guy.
I had the pleasure of meeting 'Bazz at a LA Clippers / Suns game a number of years ago. I guess it was within 13 years ago. Fun fact, you and 'Bazz are the only two .netters that I've met in person in all these years!
What am I saying?! ShelC was the most recent .netter real life encounter I've had and in the great city of NYC! Fantastic guy!

So, only three in all these years. Not enough! Once this whole pandemic thing gets under control, we need to set up our first big phxsuns.net get together. I mean, something people can plan for way in advance. I propose we meet for a game in Phoenix at the newly renovated arena. What say you all?
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Sounds good to me.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass