Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:37 am
Craig Hodges calls out Michael Jordan over 'cocaine circus' comments in 'The Last Dance' documentary

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/crai ... cumentary/
"One of the things as players we call this a fraternity," Hodges said. "So I'm watching the first episode and I was upset about the 'cocaine circus.' That bothered me because I was thinking about the brothers who are on that picture with you who have to explain to their families who are getting ready to watch this great Michael Jordan documentary event and they know you're on the team, and now you've got to explain that to a 12-year-old boy."
At this point, would the 12 yr old be the grandson of the teammates he played with? Hodges is being a little sensitive, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea really that stuff was 35 years ago. I'd just be like "It was the 80s".

Split T

Post by Split T »

Hodges just seems upset he’s not in the documentary. He wasn’t even on that cocaine team

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:59 am
18 year anniversary

Can't have that without this:

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Speaking of practice, did anyone else catch this interview with Rex Chapman last year?

Apparently, KJ didn't like practicing and didn't like how hard Nash worked in practice.

The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

No, I didn't. Thanks for posting.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm really glad Rex turned his life around.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Rex Chapman's twitter feed is absolutely bonkers.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

He even admits to have been a drug addict during the interview. So glad he cleaned up. I like his openness.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

pickle wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:25 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:48 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:47 pm
pickle wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:22 pm
On a different subject, I heard on some podcast that Lauri Markannen wants out of Chicago. Do we want him and for what assets? Personally I'm willing to put up the first round pick this year and maybe Okobo, though I don't know if that's enough for the Bulls. I think he can hold down the starting spot, and if we can get Saric back for a decent contract, we'd have a complete roster for the first time since ... the Dragic and Frye days?
Gambo thinks it will take a good player like Kelly plus a 1st.
Then the Suns should walk away. Oubre is better than Markannen, so Oubre + 1st is a non-starter. The same applies to a Oubre/Aaron Gordon deal.
Inf, what is your scouting report on Markannen? And on Oubre, since I'm asking...

I love Oubre so I probably wouldn't do that deal either, but interested in your take in more detail.
I like Markannen and think he could work next to Ayton. He has the shooting range, just needs to work at consistently capitalizing on it. There could be some defensive issues, and his rebounding isn't reliable yet, but he kind of reminds me of Tom Chambers.

Oubre is someone that has won me over to a certain extent. I hate that he isn't a productive passer, but I appreciate the work he has put in to improve. He has the attitude, energy, and aggressiveness we need, and I think he takes some of the burden off of Booker. His next contract scares me a bit, but the money situation in the NBA in general is a big question mark now that is appears COVID-19 is going to have a significant economic toll on the NBA.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:19 pm
pickle wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:
pickle wrote:
On a different subject, I heard on some podcast that Lauri Markannen wants out of Chicago. Do we want him and for what assets? Personally I'm willing to put up the first round pick this year and maybe Okobo, though I don't know if that's enough for the Bulls. I think he can hold down the starting spot, and if we can get Saric back for a decent contract, we'd have a complete roster for the first time since ... the Dragic and Frye days?
Then the Suns should walk away. Oubre is better than Markannen, so Oubre + 1st is a non-starter. The same applies to a Oubre/Aaron Gordon deal.
Inf, what is your scouting report on Markannen? And on Oubre, since I'm asking...

I love Oubre so I probably wouldn't do that deal either, but interested in your take in more detail.
I like Markannen and think he could work next to Ayton. He has the shooting range, just needs to work at consistently capitalizing on it. There could be some defensive issues, and his rebounding isn't reliable yet, but he kind of reminds me of Tom Chambers.

Oubre is someone that has won me over to a certain extent. I hate that he isn't a productive passer, but I appreciate the work he has put in to improve. He has the attitude, energy, and aggressiveness we need, and I think he takes some of the burden off of Booker. His next contract scares me a bit, but the money situation in the NBA in general is a big question mark now that is appears COVID-19 is going to have a significant economic toll on the NBA.
We're going to be shocked how far the salary cap crashes.

Split T

Post by Split T »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:03 pm
INFORMER wrote:
pickle wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Will anyone have cap space? Especially if the rest of the season doesn’t get played. The cap was supposed to go up about 8 million I believe...we already had the China stuff that was going to drop it. Not playing the playoffs could drop it significantly. Feels like a terrible time to be a free agent. Nothing but mid level deals and resigning with current teams probably. No one is going to be turning down those player options.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Split T wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:08 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:03 pm
INFORMER wrote:
pickle wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

Will anyone have cap space? Especially if the rest of the season doesn’t get played. The cap was supposed to go up about 8 million I believe...we already had the China stuff that was going to drop it. Not playing the playoffs could drop it significantly. Feels like a terrible time to be a free agent. Nothing but mid level deals and resigning with current teams probably. No one is going to be turning down those player options.
I also think we'll see lots and lots of deals with existing teams that are just higher than the mid-level deals that other teams can offer. The Suns are going to be in great shape because they didn't sign many deals under what turned out to be a temporarily high cap except Booker's.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Even if the cap does crash, they'll add in a bunch of exceptions and things to help teams wiggle around it.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

A lower cap would impact rookie scale salaries, too, wouldn't it? This could turn out to be a great year to have multiple picks, or maybe more kids stay in school and the draft class gets even weaker.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's all relative tho right? Lower cap is due to lower revenue, which is less money for owners to spend. It's not like the owners are bringing in the same money while the players are paid less. Everything would be scaled up or down accordingly for both sides.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Yeah, that's how I understand it. All those salary numbers are tied to the previous year's revenue.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
pickle wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:
pickle wrote:

Lies, fake news, conspiracies

Only things he takes away from Book and DA are wins

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:58 am
INFORMER wrote:
pickle wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:

He is 4th on the team in win shares...

Book at 6.0
Rubio and Mikal tied at 4.1
Kelly at 3.6

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:12 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:58 am

He is 4th on the team in win shares...

Book at 6.0
Rubio and Mikal tied at 4.1
Kelly at 3.6
:lol:

It's so typical of the actual fake news, to use those words accusing actual facts of being untrue!!!

Modern times... :lol: