Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:20 am
Cap wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:29 am
The bar next door is opening on Monday. They’re opening because the government says it’s okay to open. But is it really? I don’t know whether or not I should go.
Have fun!
Seriously though are they doing temperature checks or reducing capacity or anything?
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:12 pm
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:
The bar next door is opening on Monday. They’re opening because the government says it’s okay to open. But is it really? I don’t know whether or not I should go.
Have fun!
Seriously though are they doing temperature checks or reducing capacity or anything?
I don’t know.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:38 pm
Superbone wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:
Have fun!
I don’t know.
I wouldn't personally just jump back into it. I would hate for all this sheltering in place to be for naught.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:43 pm
Cap wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:38 pm
Superbone wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:
Have fun!
I don’t know.
I wouldn't personally just jump back into it. I would hate for all this sheltering in place to be for naught.
Exactly.

The library I work at is going to have very limited service beginning May 18th.

I don't see how businesses bars, restaurants and sporting events will be able to function anything close to how they did before.

And get a group together at a church who thinks "God will protect us" and you have problems just waiting to happen.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I found and posted this a couple of days ago.

Hydroxychloroquine Has about 90 Percent Chance of Helping COVID-19 Patients
https://aapsonline.org/hcq-90-percent-chance/

To date, the total number of reported patients treated with HCQ, with or without zinc and the widely used antibiotic azithromycin, is 2,333, writes AAPS, in observational data from China, France, South Korea, Algeria, and the U.S. Of these, 2,137 or 91.6 percent improved clinically. There were 63 deaths, all but 11 in a single retrospective report from the Veterans Administration where the patients were severely ill.

The antiviral properties of these drugs have been studied since 2003. Particularly when combined with zinc, they hinder viral entry into cells and inhibit replication. They may also prevent overreaction by the immune system, which causes the cytokine storm responsible for much of the damage in severe cases, explains AAPS. HCQ is often very helpful in treating autoimmune diseases such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

Today I read this.

Malaria drug shows no benefit in another coronavirus study
https://apnews.com/23f7a2d9645602bee1c3dc7c0c952191
A new study finds no evidence of benefit from a malaria drug widely promoted as a treatment for coronavirus infection.

Hydroxychloroquine did not lower the risk of dying or needing a breathing tube in a comparison that involved nearly 1,400 patients treated at Columbia University in New York, researchers reported Thursday in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:53 pm
I found and posted this a couple of days ago.

Hydroxychloroquine Has about 90 Percent Chance of Helping COVID-19 Patients
https://aapsonline.org/hcq-90-percent-chance/

To date, the total number of reported patients treated with HCQ, with or without zinc and the widely used antibiotic azithromycin, is 2,333, writes AAPS, in observational data from China, France, South Korea, Algeria, and the U.S. Of these, 2,137 or 91.6 percent improved clinically. There were 63 deaths, all but 11 in a single retrospective report from the Veterans Administration where the patients were severely ill.

The antiviral properties of these drugs have been studied since 2003. Particularly when combined with zinc, they hinder viral entry into cells and inhibit replication. They may also prevent overreaction by the immune system, which causes the cytokine storm responsible for much of the damage in severe cases, explains AAPS. HCQ is often very helpful in treating autoimmune diseases such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

Today I read this.

Malaria drug shows no benefit in another coronavirus study
https://apnews.com/23f7a2d9645602bee1c3dc7c0c952191
A new study finds no evidence of benefit from a malaria drug widely promoted as a treatment for coronavirus infection.

Hydroxychloroquine did not lower the risk of dying or needing a breathing tube in a comparison that involved nearly 1,400 patients treated at Columbia University in New York, researchers reported Thursday in the New England Journal of Medicine.
I hadn't heard of the AAPS before. I just did some quick searching and, let's just say they are not the NEJM or any other independent source of medical information.

From wiki: "The Association of American Physicians and Surgeons is a politically conservative non-profit association founded in 1943. It is opposed to the Affordable Care Act and other forms of universal health insurance."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Great, another right wing org posing as a real one. They fooled me.

Facebook, YouTube remove viral 'Plandemic' video that links face masks to getting sick
https://thehill.com/policy/technology/4 ... e-masks-to
Facebook, YouTube and other social media platforms have removed a viral documentary-style video titled "Plandemic" that promoted conspiracy theories about the coronavirus.

The 26-minute video, which was framed as part of a longer documentary on the coronavirus pandemic, promoted several false claims, including that wearing a face mask makes it easier to get the virus and that shelter-in-place orders hurt the immune system.

It also claimed without evidence that the coronavirus was invented in a laboratory in order to promote vaccinations. Judy Mikovits, an anti-vaccination activist, makes many of the claims in the video.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

My wife posted on Facebook that taking Vitamin D can help the immune system, and Facebook took it down as false information. Seemed fairly innocuous and common knowledge, but it was censored.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

If it just said that, it is accurate and shouldn't have been censored (especially by Facebook which doesn't seem to care too much about spreading info of any type). If it said anything in response to COVID, there is no evidence it prevents infection or helps with treating it.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:02 am
If it just said that, it is accurate and shouldn't have been censored (especially by Facebook which doesn't seem to care too much about spreading info of any type). If it said anything in response to COVID, there is no evidence it prevents infection or helps with treating it.
No evidence? Might want to google that. There is plenty of evidence that Vitamin D deficiency leads to worse outcomes from COVID. That doesn’t necessarily mean that people with adequate Vitamin D levels will benefit by having more, but if you’re deficient, supplements might help in case you get COVID.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:20 am
Indy wrote:
No evidence? Might want to google that. There is plenty of evidence that Vitamin D deficiency leads to worse outcomes from COVID. That doesn’t necessarily mean that people with adequate Vitamin D levels will benefit by having more, but if you’re deficient, supplements might help in case you get COVID.
I have. There is no clinical evidence that taking vitamin d supplements prevents infections or reduces symptoms/progression of the disease. The one "study" that keeps getting shared is an assumption by some researchers that said in countries with higher food fortification of Vitamin D, they are seeing less infection and less death. So they assume D is the difference. They are relying on circumstantial evidence, by their own summary.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:27 am
Cap wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:20 am
Indy wrote:
I have. There is no clinical evidence that taking vitamin d supplements prevents infections or reduces symptoms/progression of the disease. The one "study" that keeps getting shared is an assumption by some researchers that said in countries with higher food fortification of Vitamin D, they are seeing less infection and less death. So they assume D is the difference. They are relying on circumstantial evidence, by their own summary.
Thank you.

Correlation does not equal causation.

All my republican acquaintances on social media seem to have a really hard time grasping that concept.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Right. And I am not saying it doesn't make sense. D3 plays a role in the immune system, so it probably helps.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:10 pm
Right. And I am not saying it doesn't make sense. D3 plays a role in the immune system, so it probably helps.
Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't do anything. Maybe it harms. The leap that they made is wild and completely unscientific (is that a word?). I could see Trump making that leap, but not anybody with an actual medical or research background.

with COVID, when you go into cytokine storm it's actually the immune system that is overactive and leads to permanent pulmonary insult. So I could also see anything that is touted as "boosting your immune system" as leading to harm.

A promising study out there with tocilizumab, which actually functions to suppress.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yeah, I was reading that too. The body fights so hard it kills you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think the factor that seems to matter more in those countries they cited is population density. I mean, comparing Italy to Sweden is just crazy.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:57 am
I think the factor that seems to matter more in those countries they cited is population density. I mean, comparing Italy to Sweden is just crazy.
Totally

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
You mean it's not fair to compare Massachusetts to Wyoming?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:37 pm
Indy wrote:
In a correlation study of how the virus spreads or who it kills, no way. Maybe certain counties or even cities/towns in each state would be similar, but not the state as a whole.

Did I miss something? Is someone comparing those two states and writing a study saying what works in Wyoming should work in Boston?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:51 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:37 pm
Indy wrote:
In a correlation study of how the virus spreads or who it kills, no way. Maybe certain counties or even cities/towns in each state would be similar, but not the state as a whole.

Did I miss something? Is someone comparing those two states and writing a study saying what works in Wyoming should work in Boston?
No, no. Sorry Indy, my humor doesn't translate without the correct font. No one has compared Wyoming and Mass. It was me thinking off the top of my head the most dense state with the least dense.