Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: Around the League: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:12 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:58 am
INFORMER wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:19 pm
pickle wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:25 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:48 am

Then the Suns should walk away. Oubre is better than Markannen, so Oubre + 1st is a non-starter. The same applies to a Oubre/Aaron Gordon deal.
Inf, what is your scouting report on Markannen? And on Oubre, since I'm asking...

I love Oubre so I probably wouldn't do that deal either, but interested in your take in more detail.
I like Markannen and think he could work next to Ayton. He has the shooting range, just needs to work at consistently capitalizing on it. There could be some defensive issues, and his rebounding isn't reliable yet, but he kind of reminds me of Tom Chambers.

Oubre is someone that has won me over to a certain extent. I hate that he isn't a productive passer, but I appreciate the work he has put in to improve. He has the attitude, energy, and aggressiveness we need, and I think he takes some of the burden off of Booker. His next contract scares me a bit, but the money situation in the NBA in general is a big question mark now that is appears COVID-19 is going to have a significant economic toll on the NBA.
Lies, fake news, conspiracies

Only things he takes away from Book and DA are wins
He is 4th on the team in win shares...

Book at 6.0
Rubio and Mikal tied at 4.1
Kelly at 3.6
Win shares shwin shwares

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:27 pm
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
pickle wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:25 pm

Inf, what is your scouting report on Markannen? And on Oubre, since I'm asking...

I love Oubre so I probably wouldn't do that deal either, but interested in your take in more detail.
I like Markannen and think he could work next to Ayton. He has the shooting range, just needs to work at consistently capitalizing on it. There could be some defensive issues, and his rebounding isn't reliable yet, but he kind of reminds me of Tom Chambers.

Oubre is someone that has won me over to a certain extent. I hate that he isn't a productive passer, but I appreciate the work he has put in to improve. He has the attitude, energy, and aggressiveness we need, and I think he takes some of the burden off of Booker. His next contract scares me a bit, but the money situation in the NBA in general is a big question mark now that is appears COVID-19 is going to have a significant economic toll on the NBA.

Book at 6.0
Kelly at 3.6
Win shares shwin shwares
VALLEY BOYZ 4EVA!!

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:36 am
specialsauce wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:27 pm
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

Book at 6.0
Kelly at 3.6
Win shares shwin shwares
VALLEY BOYZ 4EVA!!
Lol. Has a worse team ever had a nickname before? Shouldn’t you at least sniff the playoffs before you deem yourself worthy of a nickname? ValleyBoyz is a lifestyle. Fit more important than game. Insta photo shoot more important than practice. 2k > RealK

We had Backcourt 2000. But that tandem was proven elite talent that got derailed due to injury, not some children who haven’t earned their way yet

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Saucy is big mad at the swag lol.

And let's be honest, Backcourt 2000 was thrown out there at the press conference before any games were played. The talent was there from each guy, but they never even played together up to that point.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:54 pm

And let's be honest, Backcourt 2000 was thrown out there at the press conference before any games were played. The talent was there from each guy, but they never even played together up to that point.
Yeah at least it wasn't self-anointed.

Lol. I am big big mad. No pandemic is strong enough to get rid of that.

Game has to bring about the genuine swag. None of this fake swag weak sauce

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:20 pm
ShelC wrote:

I look forward to the day when Oubre wins over SS. :P It might take a title but who knows? Maybe not even then. ;)
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:49 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:20 pm
ShelC wrote:

I look forward to the day when Oubre wins over SS. :P It might take a title but who knows? Maybe not even then. ;)
Dreaming is free lol

Indy

Post by Indy »

I still have a twitch whenever I hear "backcourt 2000." ugh that was awful.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:59 am
Would it have been so bad if Penny stayed healthy, Kidd didn't have McDonald's and McDyess wasn't held captive in Denver?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:44 am
Indy wrote:
Would it have been so bad if Penny stayed healthy, Kidd didn't have McDonald's and McDyess wasn't held captive in Denver?
Penny wasn't healthy before he got here, and he was never known as a winner. He was fine, but was thought of as so much better because he was playing with Shaq.

If you are going to make a splashy FA signing/trade, either get someone that is on the way up, or someone that is known as a winner.

When it comes to Kidd, he's just a really shitty person so I won't even go there.

As for McDyess--he could sign where ever he wanted. hopefully that choice made him happy. and I just can't believe we decided to throw all that money/years at Googs as a panic move.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:59 am
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
Penny wasn't healthy before he got here, and he was never known as a winner. He was fine, but was thought of as so much better because he was playing with Shaq.

If you are going to make a splashy FA signing/trade, either get someone that is on the way up, or someone that is known as a winner.

When it comes to Kidd, he's just a really shitty person so I won't even go there.

As for McDyess--he could sign where ever he wanted. hopefully that choice made him happy. and I just can't believe we decided to throw all that money/years at Googs as a panic move.
I thought Penny did pretty well even though he didn't have Shaq or a stacked team around him. Didn't he also win a playoff series with the Suns where Kidd was hurt the entire time? Not being known as a winner is a loaded term, imo. It's very much determined by the team around you.

I don't disagree with getting an up and coming player.

As for McDyess, iirc the Suns made the trade for him with the belief that he was going to resign with them. And I do agree that Googs was a panic move after McDyess fell through.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I also feel like there's more meaning and depth to a tagline/slogan when it comes from the team/players rather than the front office or some agency and pushed out to the fans. How many teams come out with taglines and campaigns every single year that rarely take hold. Only a few really stand out - The "We Believe" Warriors, "Believeland", even #Knickstape (which Baron Davis started when he played for the Knicks). Knicks fans still call out Knickstape. There's just more of a connection there instead of some plastic/generic slogan that feels forced, like fans are told "This is cool, you should like this".

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Googs broke my heart. It was hard to watch him lumber up the court. He was pretty decent when he was in Minny, but after his injury he wasn't the same player. As bad as the current team has been, those years were pretty bleh, too. Team was in a rut and had no real chance to improve.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:43 am
As bad as the current team has been, those years were pretty bleh, too. Team was in a rut and had no real chance to improve.
A “rut” of winning 50+ games a year sounds pretty good right about now.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
Good thing Five Guys wasn't around then. Those fries would have been lethal.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:59 am
I also feel like there's more meaning and depth to a tagline/slogan when it comes from the team/players rather than the front office or some agency and pushed out to the fans. How many teams come out with taglines and campaigns every single year that rarely take hold. Only a few really stand out - The "We Believe" Warriors, "Believeland", even #Knickstape (which Baron Davis started when he played for the Knicks). Knicks fans still call out Knickstape. There's just more of a connection there instead of some plastic/generic slogan that feels forced, like fans are told "This is cool, you should like this".
EYES ON THE PRIZE!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Is there any way to watch random old NBA games? Like, if I wanted to watch the entire 2006 or 2010 playoff run or whatever on my computer, is that a thing that can be done?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:31 pm
Is there any way to watch random old NBA games? Like, if I wanted to watch the entire 2006 or 2010 playoff run or whatever on my computer, is that a thing that can be done?
youtube

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."