Democratic primary watch

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: Democratic primary watch

Post by Nodack »

Commentary
NPR stated that Reade changed her story over time and that some of the details she provided have been "inconsistent", noting that in 2019 she did not mention sexual assault, but only harassment.[19] Katie Halper, whose interview with Reade broke the story of the allegations, said Reade's story had not changed, writing in the The Guardian, "Reade provided more details over time, something that is common among survivors of sexual assault."[53] In response to similar claims from Amanda Marcotte of Salon regarding inconsistencies in Reade's account, Nathan J. Robinson of Current Affairs mentioned that he had talked to Reade extensively and that she was "completely consistent".[54] Laura McGann of Vox, who conducted multiple interviews of Reade and other relevant sources, stated: "The story that both she and her corroborating witnesses are telling has changed dramatically."[15] Joan Walsh, writing in The Nation, said Reade's allegation of sexual assault "doesn't stand up to close scrutiny".[55] The Guardian columnist Arwa Mahdawi wrote an op-ed about the allegations, saying it was frustrating to see conservatives "weaponize the accusations" and liberals "turning a blind eye" to the allegation.[56][57]

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That clears it up.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Right?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I vote early by mail. I have been doing it a long time. I never selected a party preference on purpose and now they sent me a form and said I have to pick one if I want to continue early mail in voting. My choices are Republican, Democrat or City/Town only. I didn’t want them to know which party I vote for. That seems none of their business to me. If I select City/Town only does that mean I can only vote for local officials? I don’t like it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:25 am
I vote early by mail. I have been doing it a long time. I never selected a party preference on purpose and now they sent me a form and said I have to pick one if I want to continue early mail in voting. My choices are Republican, Democrat or City/Town only. I didn’t want them to know which party I vote for. That seems none of their business to me. If I select City/Town only does that mean I can only vote for local officials? I don’t like it.
yes on that last question.

It is stupid. I don't get why so many folks make it harder to vote. It is a right, not a privilege.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Picking a party is just a matter of which primary you vote in. It doesn’t mean you have to vote for the same party in the general.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Nodack wrote:
That’s dumb, my state still allows me to choose independent...though only the democratic primary let’s me vote.

Indy

Post by Indy »

AZ used to be that way too, Split. I used to register as "no party" and then I couldn't vote in the partisan primaries.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Cap wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:32 am
Nodack wrote:
Picking a party is just a matter of which primary you vote in. It doesn’t mean you have to vote for the same party in the general.
I didn’t want to say a party because I didn’t want them to know what party I vote for. If you fill out a change of address card at the Post Office you will all of the sudden get ads from moving companies. My mother gets mountains of Republican propaganda because she gave one of them money. Trump is trying to eliminate ALL mail in voting and now my Republican run State wants to know who I vote for. I don’t think it’s any of their business. I don’t care if I’m not allowed to vote in a primary.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

What were we just talking about? I got sent a form that says designate Democrat or Republican or you won’t be allowed to mail in vote. I said it’s none of their business but, if I want to keep mail in voting I have to check the box so, I did. It’s just an open post card that anyone can see. I suppose only the mailman will see it so, we’re pretty safe.

DOJ says letter carrier charged with attempted election fraud
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... tion-fraud
Federal prosecutors on Tuesday said a West Virginia letter carrier committed attempted election fraud by altering party affiliations from Democratic to Republican on requests for absentee ballots.

He only did a few and said it was supposed to be a joke. They didn’t think it was very funny.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:19 pm
What were we just talking about? I got sent a form that says designate Democrat or Republican or you won’t be allowed to mail in vote. I said it’s none of their business but, if I want to keep mail in voting I have to check the box so, I did. It’s just an open post card that anyone can see. I suppose only the mailman will see it so, we’re pretty safe.

DOJ says letter carrier charged with attempted election fraud
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... tion-fraud
Federal prosecutors on Tuesday said a West Virginia letter carrier committed attempted election fraud by altering party affiliations from Democratic to Republican on requests for absentee ballots.

He only did a few and said it was supposed to be a joke. They didn’t think it was very funny.
I would hope he does federal time. Disenfranchisement should be prosecuted much more than a bag of weed.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump retweets video declaring 'the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat'
https://theweek.com/speedreads/916844/t ... d-democrat

Gabby Giffords' Group Condemned Trump For Sharing A Video Saying "The Only Good Democrat Is A Dead Democrat"

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ju ... rats-video

Did Trump Retweet a Video Saying ‘The Only Good Democrat is a Dead Democrat?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump ... t-cowboys/

Trump promoted video: 'The only good Democrat is a dead Democrat'

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-sho ... t-n1216746

Trump Shares Video Claiming ‘the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat’

https://www.theroot.com/trump-shares-vi ... 1843732030

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Donald Trump is the most juvenile and petty president this country has ever seen or will ever see. And there’s plenty more character flaws you could insert in there.
"Be Legendary."

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:33 pm
Donald Trump is the most juvenile and petty president this country has ever seen or will ever see. And there’s plenty more character flaws you could insert in there.
I struggle to understand how any credible person could even remotely think he's a credible candidate to be the most powerful man in the world.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

3rdside wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:08 am
Superbone wrote:
I struggle to understand how any credible person could even remotely think he's a credible candidate to be the most powerful man in the world.
I had NO IDEA he could be this bad when he was elected. I remember thinking, let's give him a chance. Oh, man, did he hit the ground running with his idiocy. I seriously could have never imagined it could possibly be this bad.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We have a President who just declared the only good Dem is a dead Dem to his pro gun constitutes. Not scary at all. Some nut with a MAGA hat is going to shoot up a church or something, killing a bunch of people and Trump will take zero blame....again.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Superbone wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:38 am
3rdside wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:08 am
Superbone wrote:
I had NO IDEA he could be this bad when he was elected. I remember thinking, let's give him a chance. Oh, man, did he hit the ground running with his idiocy. I seriously could have never imagined it could possibly be this bad.
Exactly the same as me.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Nodack wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:45 am
We have a President who just declared the only good Dem is a dead Dem to his pro gun constitutes. Not scary at all. Some nut with a MAGA hat is going to shoot up a church or something, killing a bunch of people and Trump will take zero blame....again.
Twitter looks like it's going into bat against him .. they've just slapped a notice on another of his tweets:

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Twitter should pull his account, at least temporarily to send a message. It would send him into an absolute rage.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Too extreme / plays into the hands of deep state conspiracy theorists imo.

Regulation of social media is a really challenging space, but it has to be done and slowly (very slowly) the right approach, even though I think it could be sped up a little.