Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
User avatar
Cap
Posts: 6425
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Cap » Thu May 21, 2020 4:44 am

I’m way overdue for a haircut too. Given Nodack’s story, I think it might be best to turn to a home solution. Just buzz it with clippers. How hard can that be?
JJ will be better than KP when all is said and done [in 2020]. Mark it. — AIG, with Indy betting against

My [2019-20] prediction is better than mid 30s... mark it down! — Superbone

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 10064
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Indy » Thu May 21, 2020 7:14 am

Cap wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:44 am
I’m way overdue for a haircut too. Given Nodack’s story, I think it might be best to turn to a home solution. Just buzz it with clippers. How hard can that be?
easy. depends how long you want it though. It is about 10 minutes of work, and maybe another 10 minutes of clean up depending on if you do it inside or outside. I cut my son's hair all the time.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 10064
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Indy » Thu May 21, 2020 7:15 am

Nodack wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:44 pm
Things are opening up in AZ. My hair was getting long so my wife made an appointment with our stylist who just opened up again in a new place. She sent a lost of precautions and said all clients must wear masks at all times. No one is allowed if they feel sick or had the virus. She said she opened up in a place where she has her own private room away from the other stylists. I decided to risk it.

I get there and have to call her to get buzzed in like the banks have been doing. We go to her 10 X 12 room and close the door. She says she hates the masks and doesn’t want to wear one and said I didn’t have to either. I reluctantly took my mask off and she started. A few minutes later another stylist and her client come in wearing masks and her client sits in the stylist chair next to me and they both take off their masks too. So much for just us. After a little chit chatting they move to the hair washing station on the other side of me and proceed to wash her clients hair. After a few minutes of then chatting her client announces that she had Covid -19 but, was feeling much better the past dour days. He stylist stops and says “What?” “You have Covid and you are here?” She immediately made her client leave and was pissed off. Now I have been within a few feet of someone with Covid for about ten minutes in an enclosed room. Perfect.

I finished there, wiped down with disinfectant in the car, came home and got in the pool thinking I would chlorinate my entire body. Then I gargled with Listerine and took a multivitamin. All those things were probably useless against getting it but, I did them anyway. Thanks lady!
this is criminal. I would be furious.

BigLewy
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:15 am

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by BigLewy » Thu May 21, 2020 7:15 am

Wow, that's insane, Nodack. I would have flipped out if I were you. I decided to just buzz my head two weeks ago, and will probably continue doing so for the foreseeable future, even as barber shops open up here in CT next week. I'm not going to risk it, and idiots like the one you described are what will cause another potential lockdown. How hard is it to stay home if you've had Covid, or think you may have been exposed? I mean I get that this quarantine sucks, and I've been venturing out when necessary, such as to grab a few things at Home Depot since I'm jobless and have more time on my hands, or a trip to the grocery store every 10 days or so, but I am extremely careful. I wear a mask, bring Lysol wipes in my pocket and wipe down any cart I use and also my hands a few times during the trip. Once my car is loaded, I wipe down my hands again and anything I may have touched in my car. So far, so good (unless I'm asymptomatic). People need to not just think that because some states are re-opening gradually, that they can party like it's 2019 and everything is fine. Venture out if you need to, but for crying out loud, be safe, and wear a mask for the near future just in case. The last thing we need is to have a second wave hit immediately because everyone is out running around in large groups thinking everything is fine. I can't see myself going to a restaurant until at least the fall, at the earliest. I'll get takeout like I have been sometimes if I want to support a local business.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6180
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by In2ition » Thu May 21, 2020 9:38 am

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... er-capita/
Sweden just became the country with the highest death rate per capita in the world.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 17086
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Superbone » Thu May 21, 2020 10:07 am

Cap wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:44 am
I’m way overdue for a haircut too. Given Nodack’s story, I think it might be best to turn to a home solution. Just buzz it with clippers. How hard can that be?
One word: Flowbee.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. (Note: Requires full 82 game season.)

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 10064
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Indy » Thu May 21, 2020 10:59 am

In2ition wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:38 am
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... er-capita/
Sweden just became the country with the highest death rate per capita in the world.
pretty crazy. We have a friend there (American living there). She is being told they will take her kids from her if she doesn't send them to school during this (they never locked down).

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 3993
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by specialsauce » Thu May 21, 2020 11:30 am

Nodack wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:44 pm
Things are opening up in AZ. My hair was getting long so my wife made an appointment with our stylist who just opened up again in a new place. She sent a lost of precautions and said all clients must wear masks at all times. No one is allowed if they feel sick or had the virus. She said she opened up in a place where she has her own private room away from the other stylists. I decided to risk it.

I get there and have to call her to get buzzed in like the banks have been doing. We go to her 10 X 12 room and close the door. She says she hates the masks and doesn’t want to wear one and said I didn’t have to either. I reluctantly took my mask off and she started. A few minutes later another stylist and her client come in wearing masks and her client sits in the stylist chair next to me and they both take off their masks too. So much for just us. After a little chit chatting they move to the hair washing station on the other side of me and proceed to wash her clients hair. After a few minutes of then chatting her client announces that she had Covid -19 but, was feeling much better the past dour days. He stylist stops and says “What?” “You have Covid and you are here?” She immediately made her client leave and was pissed off. Now I have been within a few feet of someone with Covid for about ten minutes in an enclosed room. Perfect.

I finished there, wiped down with disinfectant in the car, came home and got in the pool thinking I would chlorinate my entire body. Then I gargled with Listerine and took a multivitamin. All those things were probably useless against getting it but, I did them anyway. Thanks lady!
Arizonans are fucking morons. Half of them think it’s a hoax and won’t wear a mask cause I’m not going to let the government control me and masks don’t help!

My wife and I haven’t gone anywhere other than groceries in 2 months for this exact reason . Sorry that happened to you.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 10064
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Indy » Thu May 21, 2020 12:21 pm

I am moving in 3 weeks from Michigan to AZ, and this has me shook. I see that UofA already said they WILL be having in person classes in August. That is so shortsighted. I don't get it. I mean, yeah, I get that the provost can't get paid if he doesn't get people to pay tuition, but jfc make a choice that is for the greater good, not your 3rd house.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 3993
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by specialsauce » Thu May 21, 2020 2:13 pm

Indy wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:21 pm
I am moving in 3 weeks from Michigan to AZ, and this has me shook. I see that UofA already said they WILL be having in person classes in August. That is so shortsighted. I don't get it. I mean, yeah, I get that the provost can't get paid if he doesn't get people to pay tuition, but jfc make a choice that is for the greater good, not your 3rd house.
I don’t know what the environment is like in Michigan right now. But here in Phoenix you have a huge middle aged, white population that flat out refuses to follow any of the guidelines because it’s a liberal hoax (how this became political is beyond me. How has treatment -hydroxychloroquine- become a divisive issue? It’s so America and so pathetic).

If you ask someone to mind their distance who also isn’t wearing a mask (a dead giveaway for someone who just doesn’t give a shit) prepare to be ripped into and possibly assaulted, or coughed on intentionally.

Stay away from populated areas unless you need to or you don’t care

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6180
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by In2ition » Thu May 21, 2020 2:27 pm

specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:13 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:21 pm
I am moving in 3 weeks from Michigan to AZ, and this has me shook. I see that UofA already said they WILL be having in person classes in August. That is so shortsighted. I don't get it. I mean, yeah, I get that the provost can't get paid if he doesn't get people to pay tuition, but jfc make a choice that is for the greater good, not your 3rd house.
I don’t know what the environment is like in Michigan right now. But here in Phoenix you have a huge middle aged, white population that flat out refuses to follow any of the guidelines because it’s a liberal hoax (how this became political is beyond me. How has treatment -hydroxychloroquine- become a divisive issue? It’s so America and so pathetic).

If you ask someone to mind their distance who also isn’t wearing a mask (a dead giveaway for someone who just doesn’t give a shit) prepare to be ripped into and possibly assaulted, or coughed on intentionally.

Stay away from populated areas unless you need to or you don’t care
What is a hoax?
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 3993
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by specialsauce » Thu May 21, 2020 2:39 pm

In2ition wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:27 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:13 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:21 pm
I am moving in 3 weeks from Michigan to AZ, and this has me shook. I see that UofA already said they WILL be having in person classes in August. That is so shortsighted. I don't get it. I mean, yeah, I get that the provost can't get paid if he doesn't get people to pay tuition, but jfc make a choice that is for the greater good, not your 3rd house.
I don’t know what the environment is like in Michigan right now. But here in Phoenix you have a huge middle aged, white population that flat out refuses to follow any of the guidelines because it’s a liberal hoax (how this became political is beyond me. How has treatment -hydroxychloroquine- become a divisive issue? It’s so America and so pathetic).

If you ask someone to mind their distance who also isn’t wearing a mask (a dead giveaway for someone who just doesn’t give a shit) prepare to be ripped into and possibly assaulted, or coughed on intentionally.

Stay away from populated areas unless you need to or you don’t care
What is a hoax?
The entire illness, the social distancing, the masks. All of it intended to control and violate our constitutional rights. It’s completely insulting to the healthcare industry. I’m isolating myself from my family and exposing myself each day wearing a mask for 12 hours a day and people balk at wearing a mask for 20 minutes in a public area because a YouTube video told them
masks are a worldwide government conspiracy. It’s just reprehensible behavior.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 3993
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by specialsauce » Thu May 21, 2020 2:43 pm

To me this is apolitical. I hate both parties and extremists on both sides do nothing for this society but drive us further into extinction.

When you have liberals hoping hydroxychloroquine fails so that Trump can look like a fool- it’s pathetic. And Trumps statements void of any medical background or any quality evidence are also pathetic. This should not be political. It’s human. We have a duty as humans to look out for each other. Wear a mask so I don’t catch It from you and take it home to my newborn. Wear a mask so you don’t catch it and give it to your elderly family. Wear a mask most importantly to respect the employees of the stores who don’t have a choice but to come face-to-face with you.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6180
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by In2ition » Thu May 21, 2020 2:56 pm

specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:39 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:27 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:13 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:21 pm
I am moving in 3 weeks from Michigan to AZ, and this has me shook. I see that UofA already said they WILL be having in person classes in August. That is so shortsighted. I don't get it. I mean, yeah, I get that the provost can't get paid if he doesn't get people to pay tuition, but jfc make a choice that is for the greater good, not your 3rd house.
I don’t know what the environment is like in Michigan right now. But here in Phoenix you have a huge middle aged, white population that flat out refuses to follow any of the guidelines because it’s a liberal hoax (how this became political is beyond me. How has treatment -hydroxychloroquine- become a divisive issue? It’s so America and so pathetic).

If you ask someone to mind their distance who also isn’t wearing a mask (a dead giveaway for someone who just doesn’t give a shit) prepare to be ripped into and possibly assaulted, or coughed on intentionally.

Stay away from populated areas unless you need to or you don’t care
What is a hoax?
The entire illness, the social distancing, the masks. All of it intended to control and violate our constitutional rights. It’s completely insulting to the healthcare industry. I’m isolating myself from my family and exposing myself each day wearing a mask for 12 hours a day and people balk at wearing a mask for 20 minutes in a public area because a YouTube video told them
masks are a worldwide government conspiracy. It’s just reprehensible behavior.
COVID-19 is clearly not a hoax. Maybe because they've never seen the virus, ;) , they don't think it exists. I'm kidding.

I know a lot of people that believe it's overblown and not "4% of those who get it will die" bad.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6180
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by In2ition » Thu May 21, 2020 2:57 pm

specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:43 pm
To me this is apolitical. I hate both parties and extremists on both sides do nothing for this society but drive us further into extinction.

When you have liberals hoping hydroxychloroquine fails so that Trump can look like a fool- it’s pathetic. And Trumps statements void of any medical background or any quality evidence are also pathetic. This should not be political. It’s human. We have a duty as humans to look out for each other. Wear a mask so I don’t catch It from you and take it home to my newborn. Wear a mask so you don’t catch it and give it to your elderly family. Wear a mask most importantly to respect the employees of the stores who don’t have a choice but to come face-to-face with you.
I agree.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 3993
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by specialsauce » Thu May 21, 2020 3:18 pm

In2ition wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:56 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:39 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:27 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:13 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:21 pm
I am moving in 3 weeks from Michigan to AZ, and this has me shook. I see that UofA already said they WILL be having in person classes in August. That is so shortsighted. I don't get it. I mean, yeah, I get that the provost can't get paid if he doesn't get people to pay tuition, but jfc make a choice that is for the greater good, not your 3rd house.
I don’t know what the environment is like in Michigan right now. But here in Phoenix you have a huge middle aged, white population that flat out refuses to follow any of the guidelines because it’s a liberal hoax (how this became political is beyond me. How has treatment -hydroxychloroquine- become a divisive issue? It’s so America and so pathetic).

If you ask someone to mind their distance who also isn’t wearing a mask (a dead giveaway for someone who just doesn’t give a shit) prepare to be ripped into and possibly assaulted, or coughed on intentionally.

Stay away from populated areas unless you need to or you don’t care
What is a hoax?
The entire illness, the social distancing, the masks. All of it intended to control and violate our constitutional rights. It’s completely insulting to the healthcare industry. I’m isolating myself from my family and exposing myself each day wearing a mask for 12 hours a day and people balk at wearing a mask for 20 minutes in a public area because a YouTube video told them
masks are a worldwide government conspiracy. It’s just reprehensible behavior.
COVID-19 is clearly not a hoax. Maybe because they've never seen the virus, ;) , they don't think it exists. I'm kidding.

I know a lot of people that believe it's overblown and not "4% of those who get it will die" bad.
Truth is they may be right, time will tell. To dismiss it entirely or to blow it all out of proportion are both ridiculous positions. Wear a mask, mind your distance and be considerate of others until we have more time and data to know exactly what we’re dealing with. It may not be 4%, but it is orders of magnitude worse than influenza or any other illness in recent times in the US.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6180
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by In2ition » Thu May 21, 2020 3:28 pm

specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:18 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:56 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:39 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:27 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:13 pm


I don’t know what the environment is like in Michigan right now. But here in Phoenix you have a huge middle aged, white population that flat out refuses to follow any of the guidelines because it’s a liberal hoax (how this became political is beyond me. How has treatment -hydroxychloroquine- become a divisive issue? It’s so America and so pathetic).

If you ask someone to mind their distance who also isn’t wearing a mask (a dead giveaway for someone who just doesn’t give a shit) prepare to be ripped into and possibly assaulted, or coughed on intentionally.

Stay away from populated areas unless you need to or you don’t care
What is a hoax?
The entire illness, the social distancing, the masks. All of it intended to control and violate our constitutional rights. It’s completely insulting to the healthcare industry. I’m isolating myself from my family and exposing myself each day wearing a mask for 12 hours a day and people balk at wearing a mask for 20 minutes in a public area because a YouTube video told them
masks are a worldwide government conspiracy. It’s just reprehensible behavior.
COVID-19 is clearly not a hoax. Maybe because they've never seen the virus, ;) , they don't think it exists. I'm kidding.

I know a lot of people that believe it's overblown and not "4% of those who get it will die" bad.
Truth is they may be right, time will tell. To dismiss it entirely or to blow it all out of proportion are both ridiculous positions. Wear a mask, mind your distance and be considerate of others until we have more time and data to know exactly what we’re dealing with. It may not be 4%, but it is orders of magnitude worse than influenza or any other illness in recent times in the US.
Yeah, unfortunately we don't have data to know if it's actually orders of magnitude worse than influenza or any other illness in recent times in the US. Obviously, the symptoms and what happens if it really hits you is bad bad.

I'm not saying the data is correct, but people are using the data that's been coming out and have already decided that it's not even 0.4%. They will point to Sweden, who has never really shut down, and sure they have the highest rate per capita of deaths of 6 for every million people, but that's assumed that it's transmitted to a much higher rate of the population. I think that Sweden is counting on that they will develop herd immunity and there isn't any true way of getting rid of it. It's eventually going to hit everyone.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 3199
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Nodack » Thu May 21, 2020 3:48 pm

We do have some data. The flu kills about .1% and Covid kills at least 1%. At minimum it’s 10 X’s more deadly.

https://www.washington.edu/news/2020/05 ... -symptoms/
The national rate of death among people infected with the novel coronavirus — SARS-CoV-2 — that causes COVID-19 and who show symptoms is 1.3%, the study found. The comparable rate of death for the seasonal flu is 0.1%.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-covid-death.html
U.S. COVID-19 death rate is 1.3%, study finds

13Xs more deadly.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6180
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by In2ition » Thu May 21, 2020 4:25 pm

Nodack wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:48 pm
We do have some data. The flu kills about .1% and Covid kills at least 1%. At minimum it’s 10 X’s more deadly.

https://www.washington.edu/news/2020/05 ... -symptoms/
The national rate of death among people infected with the novel coronavirus — SARS-CoV-2 — that causes COVID-19 and who show symptoms is 1.3%, the study found. The comparable rate of death for the seasonal flu is 0.1%.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-covid-death.html
U.S. COVID-19 death rate is 1.3%, study finds

13Xs more deadly.
"The 1.3% rate calculation is based on cumulative deaths and detected cases across the United States, but it does not account for undetected cases, where a person is infected but shows few or no symptoms, according to researcher Anirban Basu.

If those cases were added into the equation, the overall death rate might drop closer to 1%, Basu said."

I read both reports that you linked. Here's the problem, we don't know what the infection rate is. Some believe it's already over 20% of the population, but many more are asymptomatic or even somehow immune to it.

The last part I bolded is just a guess by Basu, unfortunately. We do certainly know that the infection rate is much higher and easier to spread, due to the nature of it being infectious without symptoms.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 3199
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by Nodack » Thu May 21, 2020 4:37 pm

The only way to know is to test everybody and that doesn’t seem to be in the cards. I called my doctor about my situation and they said to self quarantine for two weeks and call if I get any symptoms. I asked about a test and they said no test unless you do get symptoms. I might try to go outside my doctor to get a test. I would rather get tested in a few days and know than self quarantine for two weeks only to find out I didn’t have it.

I got a call for a gig next week. It’s the first gig I have been offered since March 9. I was a little hesitant on taking it thinking it might not be safe but, now I can’t take it anyway and I am almost relieved.

Post Reply