Suns Videos That Make Me Happy

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Suns Videos That Make Me Happy

Post by Mori Chu »

I appreciate these posts, guys. It's nice to have something to smile about. These old Suns teams were really special.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I’m not even going to look at the videos that make us mad. I have had my fill of that already just from the last several years of being a Suns fan.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The Bobster wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:16 pm
Game 7, 1976 Western Conference Finals against defending champion Golden State -

Totally forgot about Westphal's dunk over Phil Smith at 58:48
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Westphal who just loves to jam the ball..." I sure don't remember that being the case.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:36 pm
"Westphal who just loves to jam the ball..." I sure don't remember that being the case.
No, he was no David Thompson, that's for sure.

But as demonstrated here, in the 1977 All-Star Game (where he should have been MVP), it wasn't that rare an occasion -

Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The most notable things to me from basketball in the '70s compared to now -

- No 3-point line (obviously)
- Less athleticism (especially among big men)
- More player movement (the unexpected side effect of the 3-point FG)
- Very demonstrative officiating (before the league wanted their officials to become robots)
- Less physical play (with the exception of an occasional hard foul)

And now let me digress further -

One rule that went away that I thing deserves another look is the old "backcourt foul". It was originally to help discourage excessive fouling, but I think now it could be used to discourage the fouls we see simply to keep teams from getting out on the fast break. Originally it was 3 FT to make 2, but it could be something like 1 FT and possession.

A couple of other old rules worth revisiting are the number of foul shots awarded for a foul on a three-point shot (when you consider the expected number of points from a 3-point shot, two free throws seems sufficient, three has just led to too much flopping) and the old ABA rule that instead of a player being disqualified after 6 fouls, he could stay in the game but a technical foul shot would be awarded for the 6th (and every subsequent) foul by the player (or get creative - make loss of possession the only penalty for an offensive foul, don't count it as a personal foul. Nobody wants to see a couple of flops take a star player out of the game early because of a couple of fouls).

Split T

Post by Split T »

I read an article once suggesting we go back to 2 shots for a 3pt foul. I initially thought that seemed dumb, giving 3 shots for taking a shot worth 3 points made sense. But the article pointed out the data and it was pretty overwhelming. While the expected points from taking 2 foul shots was higher than the expected points from a 2 point field goal. The expected points taking 3 foul shots was way, way more than the expected points from a 3pt shot. So put me in the camp that would do away with 3 free throws for a foul on a 3 pt shot.

Though I might make an exception for someone intentionally fouling a 3pt shooter.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:46 am
I read an article once suggesting we go back to 2 shots for a 3pt foul. I initially thought that seemed dumb, giving 3 shots for taking a shot worth 3 points made sense. But the article pointed out the data and it was pretty overwhelming. While the expected points from taking 2 foul shots was higher than the expected points from a 2 point field goal. The expected points taking 3 foul shots was way, way more than the expected points from a 3pt shot. So put me in the camp that would do away with 3 free throws for a foul on a 3 pt shot.

Though I might make an exception for someone intentionally fouling a 3pt shooter.
I think I’d also make an exception for the last two minutes of regulation or OT.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I would just go to a single FTA that counts for all of the points the shot would have made, but 3PA FTs are taken from the top of the 3 point line. And all "AND 1s" would just be awarded another point for the foul instead of taking the FTA.

And I would do all Q1 through Q3 FTs during the quarter commercial breaks. Do the 4th Q FTAs during game play.

I realize this takes away the potential for offensive boards on missed FTAs, but oh well. I think you could cut 15 minutes of dead time off the broadcast/game play. Maybe more for foul-fests. I am sure there is data out there on how much time is wasted due to FTAs.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The comments are gold. Makes me wonder if they are putting lead in the water in Philly.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ha ha ha! I also love how this kid talks about “this kid”.

They think they’re going to get Booker and Bridges for Horford, Harris, and Zhaire Smith. :lol:
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Pre Draft of Mikal.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

EJ asked me to post this video.

The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

On to some good news and video. For what it's worth, it feels to me that Mr. Sarver is starting to "get it", when it comes to the org and doing the right things for the players. I hope that continues to be the case.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:13 am
On to some good news and video. For what it's worth, it feels to me that Mr. Sarver is starting to "get it", when it comes to the org and doing the right things for the players. I hope that continues to be the case.
Only took 15 years! But yes, good news. Thanks for the video.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Of course he just walks into the Mercury locker room and shower with a camera. What a pervert.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:14 pm
Of course he just walks into the Mercury locker room and shower with a camera. What a pervert.
LOL! You did hear that there are little to no doors in the facility.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Cap wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:14 pm
Did he bring the foam finger?