Suns News: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Suns News: Week 20 3/9-3/15

Post by ShelC »

Yea I thought there were times Carter really impacted the game with his defense and hit some big shots. He's a great energy, change of pace player in short spurts but too many minutes and he hurts you. He's also a 2nd rounder in his second year. The point of development is giving guys time to improve.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Carter grew on me as the season went on. He isn't great and would never be a starter, and I think the worst thing for him was when he got to start for a spell and got a big head about it. But he is a decent 3-and-D backup PG so long as you don't depend on him too much or give him too many minutes.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Carter is ideal as a third guard off the bench. He's not a reliable back up for either of the guard positions, but he's serviceable enough for spot minutes and seems to be a hard working professional.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:38 pm
Carter grew on me as the season went on. He isn't great and would never be a starter, and I think the worst thing for him was when he got to start for a spell and got a big head about it. But he is a decent 3-and-D backup PG so long as you don't depend on him too much or give him too many minutes.
Don’t depend on him or give him too many minutes. He’s good if you don’t put him on the court :P

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:54 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:38 pm
Don’t depend on him or give him too many minutes. He’s good if you don’t put him on the court :P
same can be said for Baynes. I think Carter is a pretty effective 4th guard for 10 minutes/change of pace guy.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think there's any denying Baynes played out of his mind for us this season. I think the dip in play was due to injury and probably exhaustion from his international play over the summer. Extended minutes heading into the season, then extended minutes during the season because of Ayton's suspension. Same thing happened to Rubio when he hit the wall and missed some games in November, then his numbers took a hit again when he had the baby in January.

I'd take Baynes back on a 2-3 year deal at a reasonable price but wouldn't break the bank for him. He's another steady, veteran presence in the frontcourt and gives us a toughness we need. He's 33, but I don't think he'd fall off a cliff in terms of play because he's not overly athletic and more of a bruiser. And with more rest and an offseason or so to recover, plus Ayton back starting, I'd expect him to be more consistent off the bench in 18-20mpg throughout the season.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I agree with ShelCs take, but I'd say that I have no idea what turns out to be a reasonable deal this offseason.

And at some level, I think it's a mot point. I think Jones really likes Baynes as an example and influence on Ayton, and as a guy who sets the tone defensively on the court. I'd be very surprised if Baynes is not back.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Well it's still up to Baynes. He may want to join a contender unless we overpay. Baynes was making 6mil last year. Maybe 8mil will seem like an overpay this summer. But yea, any deals are going to be relative given the lowered cap and expected revenues. Sarver very well could tell his FO not to spend anything given the lack of revenue and not knowing what next season's numbers will be.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I still don't get why we don't want Sauce back when he was so effective, loved playing here, and could be had cheap. Any idea?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:51 am
I still don't get why we don't want Sauce back when he was so effective, loved playing here, and could be had cheap. Any idea?
Idk, but it seemed to me that they liked what Baynes and Ayton brought and figured they would be back soon enough that they didn't want to give Sauce a guaranteed contract for the rest of the season. Seemed like it was a bad move and in hindsight it would have helped, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

A local guy with a great attitude and energy, who is a crowd favorite off the bench, who’s mother is chief of Police of Phoenix. The PR move alone is almost worth it even if he sucked but, he doesn’t.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

There is no reason to overpay for a backup C this offseason. Even Baynes. There are a lot of quality Cs on the market and not a lot of teams with a need at that position AND cap room. We can likely get a good bargain there is we play our cards right.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Maybe the NBA doesn't hate us after all.

Woj: NBA return-to-play plan focused on including Suns, expected to pass

https://arizonasports.com/story/2303378 ... d-to-pass/
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It'd be a short turnaround in getting ready, but a rested Rubio and Baynes along with the other guys, including a healthy Oubre, would be something to see. Maybe the league knows we're better than our record, maybe Sarver lobbied hard and made a good case, maybe the NBA likes the path we're on. Who knows, but I'l take it.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Ayton comes back pushing 350lbs.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:52 pm
It'd be a short turnaround in getting ready, but a rested Rubio and Baynes along with the other guys, including a healthy Oubre, would be something to see. Maybe the league knows we're better than our record, maybe Sarver lobbied hard and made a good case, maybe the NBA likes the path we're on. Who knows, but I'l take it.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Ayton comes back pushing 350lbs.
I'm ok if he's benching it. :P
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:52 pm

Why is that?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Just get the feeling he's the kinda guy who would let himself get out of shape during this extended break. Shawn Kemp "I didn't think we were coming back" type of move.

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:32 pm
Just get the feeling he's the kinda guy who would let himself get out of shape during this extended break. Shawn Kemp "I didn't think we were coming back" type of move.
I was just thinking the same thing. I get too Kemp vibes here:)
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nah, there have been recent pics of him working out at Inspire courts and he's looking to be in good shape.