Racism in the US

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
ShelC

Re: Racism in the US

Post by ShelC »

Good stuff from Pop, must read:

https://www.thenation.com/article/socie ... -protests/
“The thing that strikes me is that we all see this police violence and racism, and we’ve seen it all before, but nothing changes. That’s why these protests have been so explosive. But without leadership and an understanding of what the problem is, there will never be change. And white Americans have avoided reckoning with this problem forever, because it’s been our privilege to be able to avoid it. That also has to change.”
He also lays into Trump, Graham and McConnell. It'll be interesting to see if it garners any reaction. Trump's never addressed Pop or Kerr's criticisms from what I can recall. Maybe he doesn't care or maybe it's not a fight he wants to start but he usually goes right after those who go after him.
“He’s not just divisive. He’s a destroyer. To be in his presence makes you die. He will eat you alive for his own purposes. I’m appalled that we have a leader who can’t say ‘black lives matter.’ That’s why he hides in the White House basement. He is a coward. He creates a situation and runs away like a grade-schooler. Actually, I think it’s best to ignore him. There is nothing he can do to make this better because of who he is: a deranged idiot.”

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't think you can find a cogent argument against any of his points.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I love woke Pop.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I always hated Pop because his team abused ours over and over. Of course I would have welcomed his as our coach. I had no idea who he was this politically until Trump was elected. Now I love the guy.

Pop for President! It almost sounded like he was applying for the job. I would take him over Trump or Biden in a heartbeat. He was in the Air Force, has proven himself as a leader and has a moral compass.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

And then there's this, in Illinois which isn't an open carry state:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This is scary; look who is #1 by far:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/01/george- ... harts.html
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This president shows no empathy and now is threatening the country with military might. He had military police use tear gas and rubber bullets on peaceful protesters so that he could pose with a bible in his hand at a church. As if he’s a church-going man. This will not end well.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Precursor to November. I tried to watch only a little because it was actually terrifying to see what was going on. Something you're used to seeing in Russia or Turkey.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Just when you thought he couldn't be any dumber.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:53 pm
This is scary; look who is #1 by far:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/01/george- ... harts.html
Not only that, but if you look at cities with half a million or more, Phoenix, Mesa, and Tucson are all in the top 5.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Scottsdale and Glendale are pretty high too

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:03 pm
This president shows no empathy and now is threatening the country with military might. He had military police use tear gas and rubber bullets on peaceful protesters so that he could pose with a bible in his hand at a church. As if he’s a church-going man. This will not end well.
That was such a bad look. They attacked innocent peaceful protestors who had the right to be there! What were they thinking?

How can anybody look at the state of the nation right now and want four more years of this? I realize that what's happening is not 100% Trump's fault, but he's been horrendous at dealing with these crises. The exact moments when you need leadership from the White House, and there's none to be found.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:56 am
Scottsdale and Glendale are pretty high too
I didn't even notice them. That is crazy. 5 major cities in the state...

Indy

Post by Indy »

Form the same article--there were only 27 days in 2019 where cops didn't kill someone in the US. (empty boxes)

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mesa was high on the list of smaller cities.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Bishop ‘outraged’ after President Trump poses with Bible in front of St. John’s Church
https://www.wiproud.com/news/bishop-out ... ns-church/
Budde, the Episcopal bishop of Washington D.C., spoke with CNN shortly after the photo-op, saying, “Let me be clear, the president just used a Bible, the most sacred text of the Judeo-Christian tradition, and one of the churches of my diocese, without permission, as a backdrop for a message antithetical to the teachings of Jesus.”

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:49 am
Bishop ‘outraged’ after President Trump poses with Bible in front of St. John’s Church
Budde, the Episcopal bishop of Washington D.C., spoke with CNN shortly after the photo-op, saying, “Let me be clear, the president just used a Bible, the most sacred text of the Judeo-Christian tradition, and one of the churches of my diocese, without permission, as a backdrop for a message antithetical to the teachings of Jesus.”
...while teargassing Americans a block away.

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:18 am
Nodack wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:49 am
...while teargassing Americans a block away.
Tear gassing may come to seem like nothing. Trump tweeted a threat to start executing looters on the street.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Tense protest turns emotional as 60 North Carolina police kneel before demonstrators
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state ... 93151.html

Police in Fayetteville, North Carolina, made a surprising move Monday during a tense stand off with protesters seeking justice in the case of George Floyd, who died after being restrained by police in Minneapolis.

All 60-plus officers knelt before the marchers on Murchison Road.

Video of the moment had been viewed more than 14,000 times on Twitter and got 15,000 reactions on Facebook as of Tuesday morning.

“The protesters first got mad when asked to step back, but once the officers knelt down, it was on. Men and women alike started crying and then cautiously came toward the police officers to shake their hands,” Mimamo Monika posted on Facebook.

“These are moments that will go down into history and will be taught to future generations.”

The three-hour march ended when the officers knelt, “with hugs and hand shakes between the officers and protesters,” WTVD reported.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Trump has said the GOP will no longer hold it's convention in North Carolina. Dollars to donuts it's not a coincidence.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.