NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by ShelC »

I just don't know that he moves the needle so much that he's worth trading for. If it's to get something in return for Oubre, who will be a FA, while freeing up minutes for Mikal and Cam at the 3spot, then there's a rationale I can sort of understand even if I don't necessarily agree with it. Maybe he looks better as a 3rd option between Booker and Ayton, and playing with a setup PG like Rubio, instead of being a 1st or 2nd option on those Orlando teams. I just don't know.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:22 am
I don't see a lot of value in returning Saric or Baynes. Baynes has perceived value for what he did as a starter. He performed significantly worse as a reserve, and that is his role on this team going forward.

Saric was mediocre. And this is coming from someone who applauded his addition. It just didn't work out. I think Saric would better of in Golden State, Toronto, or Houston.
I’m honestly shocked by Saric being so mediocre. You’d think with all the open looks he’s had that he would have performed better. I figured him to be able to spread the floor and take some pressure off Book. Maybe his looks came with too much pressure to make a play. He probably would be better off on a Houston team.
The team still needs an ace PF this summer.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The only hope for acquiring Gordon would be that maybe he'd get better looks here. But I don't know. Orlando had pretty bad PGs, so maybe Rubio can unlock Gordon on the fast break and can pass him the ball for some open looks. I'm skeptical. Gordon seems like he occasionally has a 1-2 week stretch of hot 3-point shooting but then regresses to being bad at them for the rest of the year.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I have never been a Gordon fan, and I honestly don't think he gives us more than Oubre. He is certainly a better passer, so that would be great to have. But everything else is similar, with the exception of his shooting. Kelly is so much better there, and it is still a big weakness for us. I don't want to downgrade there.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I like Gordon, but I’d rather have Oubre and just don’t see a huge need for both.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I think of Gordon as more of an undersized 4 but still don't know if he's worth it.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:58 pm
I have never been a Gordon fan, and I honestly don't think he gives us more than Oubre. He is certainly a better passer, so that would be great to have. But everything else is similar, with the exception of his shooting. Kelly is so much better there, and it is still a big weakness for us. I don't want to downgrade there.
Agreed
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I am interested in Gordon, but not in exchange for Oubre. That would be a lateral move in my opinion. I could see a trade if ORL wants to get cap flexibility and draft assets, or if there is a third team interested in such package with something proven going to ORL (what about CHI and LaVine?).

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I feel like Oubre's our only real tradeable asset and if we can't/won't re-sign him longterm, he may be the oddman out. Not even saying for Gordon necessarily, but it seems like given the rumors he's already on the block.
Last edited by ShelC on Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I've only read a bunch of "might" and "very well may be" stuff about Oubre playing.

I don't see how the league salary cap increases next season, at best it'll stay roughly the same. So it's a tricky situation for the Suns and Oubre. No one wants him to get hurt, but there will be a lot of eyeballs on the NBA when it comes back.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I happened to listen to the Warriors Locked On padcast yesterday and the host suggested that the Wartiors use their TPE on Rubio, but didn't suggest giving anything other than the TPE for him. Does that count as a tradable asset? Lol
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Rubio has more value to us at the moment IMO unless we draft a stud PG. I also wonder how that offense would look with him on the floor.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Rubio for Curry straight up. We will take that injury prone guard off their hands. :lol:
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Idk, what you think about this unrealistic off-season?
Trade Oubre to Chicago for Satoransky and Markkanen

Feels like it would plug 2 of the largest holes and allow the Suns to take BPA in the draft and/or trade down for more assets.

Such as:
If the Suns get a top pick, trade down w/ Detroit so that thd Pistons can take Melo, the Suns get Kennard and their pick. Maybe trade down again w/ Minn to get their pick & the 16th. Take Vassell and Poku.

Sign a certified torch in Bertans to create real gravity and bend the defense.

Rubio/Satoransky/Jerome
Booker/Kennard/Carter
Bridges/Johnson/Vassell
Markkanen/Bertans/Poku
Ayton/Baynes/Markkanen

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That team might struggle on defense, especially on the perimeter. But I love the shooting/scoring.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Soft defensively, takes a step back athletically. Doubt Chicago wants/needs Oubre.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:40 pm
I've had interest in both players, but that's not the kind of return that would get me to move Oubre. And Shel is right, I don't think think Chicago would be interested in putting another scorer/minimalist-passer next to volume scorers like Coby White and Zach Lavine.
In2ition wrote:
If the Suns get a top pick, trade down w/ Detroit so that thd Pistons can take Melo, the Suns get Kennard and their pick. Maybe trade down again w/ Minn to get their pick & the 16th. Take Vassell and Poku.
I think Suns were be better off keeping a top pick and drafting Killian Hayes, Obi Toppin, or Tyrese Haliburton.
In2ition wrote:
I think there will be a bidding war for Bertans and Christian Woods. I think both have value for the Suns; I just don't think it is going to be worth the financial commitment.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:49 am
In2ition wrote:
I've had interest in both players, but that's not the kind of return that would get me to move Oubre. And Shel is right, I don't think think Chicago would be interested in putting another scorer/minimalist-passer next to volume scorers like Coby White and Zach Lavine.
In2ition wrote:
I think Suns were be better off keeping a top pick and drafting Killian Hayes, Obi Toppin, or Tyrese Haliburton.
In2ition wrote:
I think there will be a bidding war for Bertans and Christian Woods. I think both have value for the Suns; I just don't think it is going to be worth the financial commitment.
I can not argue against any of these points, haha.

Killian is nice. What if Wiseman surprising falls to 10th, do you take him and hope that Monty and Mark Bryant develop him into a high value player and/or future trade asset?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:03 am
Soft defensively, takes a step back athletically. Doubt Chicago wants/needs Oubre.
Yeah, perhaps it would be better to stick with Oubre and run the small ball lineup primarily. Go after a PF like Boucher and FVV at PG.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:58 am
That team might struggle on defense, especially on the perimeter. But I love the shooting/scoring.
Yeah, it could be rough defensively....but the shooting... haha