Racism in the US

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: Racism in the US

Post by Nodack »

Awesome!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Biden had a great line today about Trump holding up a bible after having rubber bullets and tear gas fired into a peaceful crowd. "Maybe if he opened it, he would learn something!"
"Be Legendary."

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:37 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:03 pm
This president shows no empathy and now is threatening the country with military might. He had military police use tear gas and rubber bullets on peaceful protesters so that he could pose with a bible in his hand at a church. As if he’s a church-going man. This will not end well.
That was such a bad look. They attacked innocent peaceful protestors who had the right to be there! What were they thinking?

How can anybody look at the state of the nation right now and want four more years of this? I realize that what's happening is not 100% Trump's fault, but he's been horrendous at dealing with these crises. The exact moments when you need leadership from the White House, and there's none to be found.
I'm sure he can make political capital out of this - be seen to be acting tough, which appeals to a large % of the population, and no ones talking about the death toll from corona either, so it's arguably a win win for him.

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Reminds me of this

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

There's also these guys, who seem to be plain mercenaries with no identification on guard in DC

Indy

Post by Indy »

I heard they are DEA, but not branding because they are not being used for DEA activities. But since they roll up to Barr/DOJ, he can command them unlike military. I guess they could be ATF, since they now roll up to DOJ too

Cap

Post by Cap »

Prosecutors now believe they can prove intent and have charged Chauvin with second degree murder. The other officers involved have been charged with aiding and abetting second degree murder.

https://www.startribune.com/chauvin-cha ... 570984872/

Indy

Post by Indy »

good. i hope they get a conviction.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

You just get the sense that with all these heavily armed cops / military men / national guardsmen everywhere, and large groups of angry protestors, that something is going to go horribly wrong. Somebody is going to attack somebody or shoot somebody or whatever and it'll turn into a big bloody mess. I'm scared. I really hope everything begins to calm down and they can find a way to maintain peace on all sides.

Violent destructive events, aside from the loss of life, can also be used to justify atrocities in response. See also the Reichstag Fire in Germany in the 1930s, which was used as a pretext to seize additional power for Hitler.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichstag ... %20fire%20(German%3A%20Reichstagsbrand,in%20as%20Chancellor%20of%20Germany.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:32 pm
You just get the sense that with all these heavily armed cops / military men / national guardsmen everywhere, and large groups of angry protestors, that something is going to go horribly wrong. Somebody is going to attack somebody or shoot somebody or whatever and it'll turn into a big bloody mess. I'm scared. I really hope everything begins to calm down and they can find a way to maintain peace on all sides.

Violent destructive events, aside from the loss of life, can also be used to justify atrocities in response. See also the Reichstag Fire in Germany in the 1930s, which was used as a pretext to seize additional power for Hitler.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichstag ... %20fire%20(German%3A%20Reichstagsbrand,in%20as%20Chancellor%20of%20Germany.
Finally something we agree on completely. We are very close to a civil war and it is scary. Intimidating peaceful protesters with police in riot gear or military is not how you ease tensions. It only incites violence.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:46 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:32 pm

Finally something we agree on completely. We are very close to a civil war and it is scary. Intimidating peaceful protesters with police in riot gear or military is not how you ease tensions. It only incites violence.
Yay!!! Totally agree with you guys.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I am actually kind of shocked there hasn’t been any right wing extremist retaliation yet.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:27 pm
I am actually kind of shocked there hasn’t been any right wing extremist retaliation yet.
Hasn't been for a lack of trying.

https://www.businessinsider.com/3-booga ... reddit.com

https://www.businessinsider.com/white-n ... ing-2020-6

https://www.8newsnow.com/news/3-people- ... las-vegas/
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

This is just absurd. I really cannot understand how this stuff is still happening. I want to believe most police are trying to deal with this situation in a reasonable way, but WTF is going on with some of these morons?

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The LAPD chief made a public statement saying that the death of George Floyd was as much on the hands of the protestors as the four cops. There is some real systemic rot in our nation's police forces, and it goes beyond just a few bad apples. It goes all the way from the top on down. Major reform is needed.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:34 pm
The LAPD chief made a public statement saying that the death of George Floyd was as much on the hands of the protestors as the four cops. There is some real systemic rot in our nation's police forces, and it goes beyond just a few bad apples. It goes all the way from the top on down. Major reform is needed.
Huh?
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

What were those cops shooting in their shotgun? Salt rocks?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:55 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:34 pm
Huh?
“We didn’t have people mourning the death of this man, George Floyd, we had people capitalizing,” the top cop said. “His death is on their hands as much as it is those officers.”

https://nypost.com/2020/06/02/lapd-chie ... ers-hands/

Of course the Mayor, Eric Garcetti, refuses to fire him!
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Nobody mourned the death of George Floyd?