Racism in the US

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
bajanguy008

Re: Racism in the US

Post by bajanguy008 »

I'm posting this before even reading it fully tbh for the simple fact Baynes is from Australia so he probably knows a bit about this issue.....
Just wouldn't imagine any BS article from Baynes on any matter :shock:

https://www.nba.com/suns/features/open- ... ron-baynes#
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:41 am
I'm posting this before even reading it fully tbh for the simple fact Baynes is from Australia so he probably knows a bit about this issue.....
Just wouldn't imagine any BS article from Baynes on any matter :shock:

https://www.nba.com/suns/features/open- ... ron-baynes#
I'm Australian but didn't grow up there / spent nine years there from 19yo - 27yo but visited every 2 years or so before and after those years .. as much as Aussies are very easy going people, some of them are highly casually racist without realising it, and pointing it out (subtly or not) doesn't tend to go down too well with them.

If interested, look at the appalling story of Adam Goodes, an aboriginal, one of the greatest Aussie Rules players of all time and former Australian of the Year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Goodes

Anyway, Australia's 29 year record run of no economic recession came to an end yesterday - the longest in history for any country I believe - and its growth required many immigrants to fuel it (the usual British but you notice a lot more south american, chinese, european and even americans these days) so with that, and social media making the world smaller, it's inevitably changing for the better, imo.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks. Nice letter from Baynes.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Awesome!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Baynes is a good guy. I hope we can find some way to keep him here on the team.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Did you see Haliburton's tweet about BLM? I thought it was really well put.

""
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Doug of Doug and Wolf fame got himself into a little hot water. He thinks that you don't have white privilege if you're white and poor.

https://theathletic.co.uk/1853354/2020/ ... ning-show/
Arizona Sports 98.7 FM deletes 5-minute segment from Doug & Wolf morning show

Here’s what Franz had to say:

“It may come out of a position of ignorance and I don’t mind you pointing it out and saying you’re not seeing it the way I would like you to see it or the way I think you should see it or give me a different point of view but when we talk about this conversation, if you want to turn me off from the conversation use the phrase ‘white privilege.’ That’s a great way to turn me off of the conversation because there was nobody in my life telling me white privilege when I lived below the federal poverty line myself. There’s nobody that said white privilege when I talked my landlord into letting me pay my rent in installments because I couldn’t afford a whole $250 a month. So I would send $125 at the beginning of the month when I got a paycheck and I would wait for my next paycheck and I would pay the other $125.

“I’m not trying to dump my sob story on you because I totally believe you as a listener, you have your own struggles that you went through. And it’s an eye-opener for me when I heard (Suns coach) Monty Williams say … we all get left out. We all get into a situation of our own complacency when we take for granted the benefits because if of any us think we haven’t benefited from being an American … Really look around at other places in the world. What we can consider to be destitute in our country, holy crap.”

Less than a minute later Franz played a clip from Williams talking about a Zoom call he had with his players in which he said it was important to validate their feelings.

Wolfley, after the audio clip ended:

“It all comes down to personal responsibility does it not? It’s all of us. When I say all of us, black, white, green, purple, whatever. It’s gotta be all of us. Racism is any form can not be tolerated by any race, period. It’s interesting you bring up white privilege because you know my background as well. Grow up as a son of a truck driver and proud of that. On a dead-end street on the bottom of a hill that ended into a gravel pit. That’s for real. OK? That is for real. I grew up poor, ladies and gentlemen, so I guess the conversation has got to be it’s not like white people are the only people on the face of the planet that are racists. Right? I mean, can we agree on this stuff? This is where the conversation will be productive if we can all agree on the truth. It’s the truth that will set us all free.”
Jason Barrett, president of Barrett Sports Media and a sports radio consultant, said the decision by Arizona Sports to delete the segment online should be viewed in a positive light.

“You certainly hope as a listener that the radio station will cease any further promotion of a piece of content that may be considered offensive,” Barrett said. “It’s also smart for the brand to step in quickly, too, because sometimes audio can be edited by folks to sound worse than it may have been.”

Barrett said it’s not unusual for sports radio personalities to “miss the mark” with their words.

“It’s usually due to misspeaking, not thinking through an issue or lacking the ability to relate to a different segment of the audience,” he said. “That can happen when talking 180-240 minutes a day and sharing your views on a plethora of issues. The station’s role when situations like that occur is to address them immediately with the talent, and make sure that anything that may be deemed insensitive or disrespectful to the audience and the station’s advertisers is not promoted further.”

In a Twitter exchange following the show, Franz seemed to understand that he could have expressed himself better. Michael Kasen tagged Franz in a tweet and wrote, “Just getting a chance 2 respond 2 something I heard earlier. I think ur definition of white privilege is misguided. It’s about access not money. Do u think ur landlord would have offered u the same leniency in rent if u were a black young man? Prob not, unfortunately.”

Franz, replying, wrote, “thanks Michael excellent point. With more people like you expressing a great POV (point of view) it opens the eyes of others, including me.”
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

And then there's these yahoos:

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:35 pm
Doug of Doug and Wolf fame got himself into a little hot water. He thinks that you don't have white privilege if you're white and poor.

Maybe Doug should just sit this one out. Poor whites don't have it as good as middle-class and rich whites, but they still have some privilege. And it has such an "all lives matter" feel to it. Right now the focus is on police violence against black Americans and other racism they face. Let this moment be about them; we don't have to "poor whites also matter" it up.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:42 pm
Superbone wrote:

Maybe Doug should just sit this one out. Poor whites don't have it as good as middle-class and rich whites, but they still have some privilege. And it has such an "all lives matter" feel to it. Right now the focus is on police violence against black Americans and other racism they face. Let this moment be about them; we don't have to "poor whites also matter" it up.
The thing is, he’ll never know what it’s like to be black and how you’re treated by law enforcement as well as many other in society. The poorest white guy will be treated much better. I’ve heard a bunch of personal stories from black friends and the ridiculous treatment they get from police. Now I’m hearing a ton more. There’s a black, female writer on Late Night with Seth Meyers and she tells of these experiences with police that are unbelievable. And every black person has too many of these stories.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I just hope some good comes out of all this bad.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:08 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Superbone wrote:

The thing is, he’ll never know what it’s like to be black and how you’re treated by law enforcement as well as many other in society. The poorest white guy will be treated much better. I’ve heard a bunch of personal stories from black friends and the ridiculous treatment they get from police. Now I’m hearing a ton more. There’s a black, female writer on Late Night with Seth Meyers and she tells of these experiences with police that are unbelievable. And every black person has too many of these stories.
not surprising to hear him say that stuff.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:40 am
Superbone wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Why is that?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:58 am
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Why is that?
I stopped listening a long time ago, but when I did listen, he always seemed to come off tone def when it came to perspectives other than his own. Wolf has clearly been around people different than him throughout his life. Doug never came off that way.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:08 am
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

Why is that?
I stopped listening a long time ago, but when I did listen, he always seemed to come off tone def when it came to perspectives other than his own. Wolf has clearly been around people different than him throughout his life. Doug never came off that way.
Gotcha. I don't recall previously hearing something racist out of him, but of course I wouldn't be hyper aware if he did due to my... wait for it...white privilege.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:15 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:08 am
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Why is that?
Gotcha. I don't recall previously hearing something racist out of him, but of course I wouldn't be hyper aware if he did due to my... wait for it...white privilege.
I never heard anything I would have called racist either. I would have called it tone def. But, to your point, I might not have noticed.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Fire their asses. That is assault that they're covering for.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:50 pm
Fire their asses. That is assault that they're covering for.
And they lied about it. You could hear that man's skull crack from across the street.