Racism in the US

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Racism in the US

Post by Mori Chu »

I like how they "resigned" from serving on the Emergency Response Team while not resigning from their actual jobs, so they kept their full pay and position, just refused to help any more during this crisis.

This is systemic rot and corruption. All 57 of these cops are covering for overuse of force and attacking innocent civilians. They must be purged from law enforcement and replaced with more honorable men who serve the people first and foremost.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:08 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:42 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:35 pm
Doug of Doug and Wolf fame got himself into a little hot water. He thinks that you don't have white privilege if you're white and poor.

https://theathletic.co.uk/1853354/2020/ ... ning-show/
Maybe Doug should just sit this one out. Poor whites don't have it as good as middle-class and rich whites, but they still have some privilege. And it has such an "all lives matter" feel to it. Right now the focus is on police violence against black Americans and other racism they face. Let this moment be about them; we don't have to "poor whites also matter" it up.
The thing is, he’ll never know what it’s like to be black and how you’re treated by law enforcement as well as many other in society. The poorest white guy will be treated much better. I’ve heard a bunch of personal stories from black friends and the ridiculous treatment they get from police. Now I’m hearing a ton more. There’s a black, female writer on Late Night with Seth Meyers and she tells of these experiences with police that are unbelievable. And every black person has too many of these stories.
Here’s an example of what I was talking about. And this is one of her tamer stories.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Cap wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:55 pm
I agree those quotes are completely hypocritical. But there is also hypocrisy from the so-called left all the sudden supporting the right to assemble and protest, even during a pandemic.

I supported both the anti-lockdown protests and the George Floyd protests, but even if I didn't, I believe protests should always be allowed and protected, as the Constitution demands. This curfew we have been under for 8 straight nights in Arizona is not only unconstitutional, but it is one of the biggest overreactions by a governor ever. As far as I know, no other governor has ever issued a statewide curfew in the history of the United States. And just because of mainly one incident affecting his elite business buddies, Gov. Ducey punishes all law-abiding citizens for 8 days at his buddies' request!

The First Amendment does not say, "P.S. The right to peaceful assembly only applies between the hours of 5am-8pm"!
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I moved to AZ in the late 60’s as a 4 year old and this is my first lockdown and first curfew I have ever seen. These are extraordinary times. The reason for the lockdown was to save lives, not take people’s freedoms away.

The Conservatives protesting were protesting being locked down, claiming the Republican Governor had no right to do that because it took away their freedoms. I don’t recall any of them practicing social distancing or wearing masks. Wearing a mask is almost an insult to them. Seeing that most of the US shut down along with most of the planet, the decision seemed on par with everyone else.

I was going to say the Dems are protesting police brutality but, it’s not just Dems. Romney was even out today. The entire planet was protesting in support of the US protestors. Most are wearing masks. Some aren’t. I think some are willing to risk it because the moment is now. They aren’t going to wait six months.

I am all for peaceful assembly. I don’t think you need to peacefully assemble at midnight at a mall while filling your sacks with loot.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Minneapolis officers slashed parked car tires amid protests
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... d-protests

While we can’t speak for other law enforcement agencies and their tactics, there were instances when State Patrol troopers strategically deflated tires to keep vehicles from being used in attacks, and so we could tow the vehicles later for collection of evidence if necessary,” Gordon said in a statement.

He said this was done in order to stop vehicles “driving dangerously at high speeds in and around protesters and law enforcement,” as well as vehicles “that contained items used to cause harm during violent protests,” including rocks, concrete and sticks.

“While not a typical tactic, vehicles were being used as dangerous weapons and inhibited our ability to clear areas and keep areas safe where violent protests were occurring,” Gordon said.

I have only seen one vehicle used as a dangerous weapon and that was the gas truck semi driver who was pissed off and drove at the protestors. I haven’t seen any evidence of vehicles used by protestors as weapons. I call ass on slashing everyones tires. It sounds more like something spiteful that they tried to explain away.

I am a little worried about the backlash to the police. I remember Iraq when we dismantled their military and police instead of making them the new Iraq police. Those police and military members became very angry and turned into insurgents we had to fight. No society can function without police. There were obviously some bad apples in Minneapolis. I don’t agree with disbanding the whole Minneapolis Police Department. That is a knee jerk response that could make things worse. Obviously changes need to be made and standards and training need to be increased along with leadership that stresses non racism in the police force. I would like to know who gave the order to slash protestors tires or if that was just a few bad apples getting even. These were State troopers and not Minneapolis police.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Man, I so bad want to kick this guy in the nuts:

https://nypost.com/2020/06/08/montana-m ... rotesters/

I had a visceral reaction watching this.

This woman is woman of the year for standing up to him. She raised her sunglasses and looked straight into the eyes of evil:

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I really don't understand people like that guy. Unless he's an unabashed racist, which I guess is the only logical reason for behaving that way.

But racism it self is illogical, so...IDK? Like I said at the beginning of this discussion, Lizard Brains.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm just blown away by all the videos and stories coming out over the past few weeks. Racism and police brutality are still huge problems in this country. Good on the protestors for shining such a bright light on this. It is to our country's great shame that this kind of behavior is present and is even encouraged by the man we stupidly elected as our leader. All these bad cops, and the bad administration that encourages them, need to go.

Indy

Post by Indy »

the ease/availability/ubiquitous nature of video at our finger tips has been a huge factor in shining a lite on the awful bigotry and inequities, especially in the US where we indoctrinate kids with "liberty and justice for all" every day.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

‘Beyond Deranged’: Commentators Across Political Spectrum Condemn Trump’s Claim Elderly Man Attacked By Police is ‘ANTIFA’
https://www.mediaite.com/trump/beyond-d ... is-antifa/
Trump - “Buffalo protester shoved by Police could be an ANTIFA provocateur. 75 year old Martin Gugino was pushed away after appearing to scan police communications in order to black out the equipment,” President Trump tweeted. “@OANN I watched, he fell harder than was pushed. Was aiming scanner. Could be a set up?”

Trump was watching OAN the ultra right wing cable news channel and saw a clip claiming the 75 year old guy who was pushed over by police was an Antifa agent secretly scanning police channels in order to block their communications and fell hard and cracked his skull on the pavement on purpose as part of some elaborate Antifa scheme. The replies to Trump are priceless.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:04 am
‘Beyond Deranged’: Commentators Across Political Spectrum Condemn Trump’s Claim Elderly Man Attacked By Police is ‘ANTIFA’
https://www.mediaite.com/trump/beyond-d ... is-antifa/
Trump - “Buffalo protester shoved by Police could be an ANTIFA provocateur. 75 year old Martin Gugino was pushed away after appearing to scan police communications in order to black out the equipment,” President Trump tweeted. “@OANN I watched, he fell harder than was pushed. Was aiming scanner. Could be a set up?”

Trump was watching OAN the ultra right wing cable news channel and saw a clip claiming the 75 year old guy who was pushed over by police was an Antifa agent secretly scanning police channels in order to block their communications and fell hard and cracked his skull on the pavement on purpose as part of some elaborate Antifa scheme. The replies to Trump are priceless.
Yeah everyone knows that you have to be within 6 inches to properly scan radio signals...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Can you believe this is the Commander in Chief of the United States of America tweeting out these conspiracy theories?! What has happened to our country?!!!!!!!! I hope this isn't the beginning of the end.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Trump is no different than your average FOX-viewing elderly person sitting at home and believing all this shit. He probably also subscribes to the National Enquirer. He doesn't have a rational cell in his brain.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:45 am
Trump is no different than your average FOX-viewing elderly person sitting at home and believing all this shit. He probably also subscribes to the National Enquirer. He doesn't have a rational cell in his brain.
Trump is closely connected to the man who publishes (published?) the Enquirer. They are the ones who paid Stormy Daniels $150k to buy her story about an affair with Trump, and then the Enquirer buried it until after the 2016 election. That may have literally won him the race, since such a scandal would have cost him some votes and the election outcome was so narrow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... llegations

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:17 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:45 am
Trump is closely connected to the man who publishes (published?) the Enquirer. They are the ones who paid Stormy Daniels $150k to buy her story about an affair with Trump, and then the Enquirer buried it until after the 2016 election. That may have literally won him the race, since such a scandal would have cost him some votes and the election outcome was so narrow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... llegations
That's right. I forgot about that. He fits that magazine's demographic. Did he really graduate from college? If so, I'm starting wonder if it was on the up and up.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I thought they bought the Playboy Bunny that slept with Trump’s story, not Stormy’s.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:27 pm
I thought they bought the Playboy Bunny that slept with Trump’s story, not Stormy’s.
My bad; that is correct. Her name is Karen McDougal. I get all these Trump sex scandals mixed up!