Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Mori Chu »

Looks like there's been a minor breakthrough in COVID treatment. A new drug, dexamethasone, is showing significant benefits. Not a miracle cure, but that's great news.
For patients on ventilators, it cut the risk of death from 40% to 28%. For patients needing oxygen, it cut the risk of death from 25% to 20%.

Chief investigator Prof Peter Horby said: "This is the only drug so far that has been shown to reduce mortality - and it reduces it significantly. It's a major breakthrough."

Lead researcher Prof Martin Landray says the findings suggest that for every eight patients treated on ventilators, you could save one life.

For those patients treated with oxygen, you save one life for approximately every 20-25 treated with the drug.
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53061281

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:23 am
Looks like there's been a minor breakthrough in COVID treatment. A new drug, dexamethasone, is showing significant benefits. Not a miracle cure, but that's great news.
For patients on ventilators, it cut the risk of death from 40% to 28%. For patients needing oxygen, it cut the risk of death from 25% to 20%.

Chief investigator Prof Peter Horby said: "This is the only drug so far that has been shown to reduce mortality - and it reduces it significantly. It's a major breakthrough."

Lead researcher Prof Martin Landray says the findings suggest that for every eight patients treated on ventilators, you could save one life.

For those patients treated with oxygen, you save one life for approximately every 20-25 treated with the drug.
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53061281
Cautious optimism here until the study gets published, reviewed, and eventually validated by another study. Really promising though. We’ve gone full circle here- in March the consensus was steroids bad!!!! Now we’re back to saying steroids good.

Link for the RECOVERY trail website
https://www.recoverytrial.net/news/low- ... f-covid-19

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

A treatment would be a big step obviously until (if) there's ever a vaccine.

Meanwhile, Beijing is closing schools and pretty much locking down and Texas hospitalizations are spiking.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The treatment is only for those on ventilators I believe.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

By the way, the discovery of new kinds of treatment is one of the many benefits of flattening the curve, locking down, buying ourselves time for the world's best and brightest minds to work on this problem. If you get COVID this fall rather than this spring, you might be able to take one of these treatment drugs and have a better chance of survival. I hope this is instructive to the ignorant folks claiming that the lockdowns have had no benefit.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We are going to fight over everything no matter what. We can’t help ourselves.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:12 am
By the way, the discovery of new kinds of treatment is one of the many benefits of flattening the curve, locking down, buying ourselves time for the world's best and brightest minds to work on this problem. If you get COVID this fall rather than this spring, you might be able to take one of these treatment drugs and have a better chance of survival. I hope this is instructive to the ignorant folks claiming that the lockdowns have had no benefit.
As I said before, according to expert epidemiologists, slowing it down is only going to allow it time to mutate and stay around forever (killing untold numbers) instead of being exterminated through herd immunity.

And we've had an even better treatment for severe cases that's been known since the beginning of the pandemic (very high dose IV vitamin C), but most doctors refuse to use it because it's not a "drug."
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:33 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
As I said before, according to expert epidemiologists, slowing it down is only going to allow it time to mutate and stay around forever (killing untold numbers) instead of being exterminated through herd immunity.

And we've had an even better treatment for severe cases that's been known since the beginning of the pandemic (very high dose IV vitamin C), but most doctors refuse to use it because it's not a "drug."
Wrong. Cute though

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

this whole vitamin C thing has been around forever for every disease. It is not true. doctors treating covid (or cancer, or pick your favorite) don't get paid based on if they use IV drugs or not.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:08 am
JeremyG wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

this whole vitamin C thing has been around forever for every disease. It is not true. doctors treating covid (or cancer, or pick your favorite) don't get paid based on if they use IV drugs or not.
Don’t bother at this point man. Let him think we do. Also he just regurgitates what he sees on OAN without any ounce of knowledge. Herd immunity won’t happen for a long ass time, and if this Coronavirus behaves the same as other corona strains, then we will NEVER have herd immunity, ever. He’s so full of shit that it’s coming out his mouth and his ass simultaneously and he can’t stop it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LOL @ thinking Vitamin C kills corona. Can you imagine being sealed in such a fact-free media environment as that?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

No one wants to talk about how a daily dose of zinc would prevent anyone from ever being sick again. It basically makes you immortal.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:49 pm
No one wants to talk about how a daily dose of zinc would prevent anyone from ever being sick again. It basically makes you immortal.
Shhhhhh...
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:24 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:49 pm
Shhhhhh...
Yeah has to be a massive dose up your ass, highly recommend it

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

JeremyG wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
I am in close contact with deans from a medical school that knows more about COVID than anyone else -- and they tell me that give COVID another 1.5 seasons to select or evolve into a less virulent seasonal flu. Some of the seasonal flus we have today, for instance, started as killers like the 1918 Spanish Flu.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:49 am
JeremyG wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
I am in close contact with deans from a medical school that knows more about COVID than anyone else -- and they tell me that give COVID another 1.5 seasons to select or evolve into a less virulent seasonal flu. Some of the seasonal flus we have today, for instance, started as killers like the 1918 Spanish Flu.
That may well be true, but it's still just an educated guess and doesn't do anything to address the issues the US is having with COVID right now.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Here's the Trump Admin putting the whole "we'd have less positive cases if we tested less" strategy into action. How is this not a cover up that could cost lives? It's like voter suppression, except with a contagious disease.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/move-coronav ... 25966.html

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:52 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:49 am
JeremyG wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
That may well be true, but it's still just an educated guess and doesn't do anything to address the issues the US is having with COVID right now.
It has everything to do with the issues that the US is having -- from a longer-term point of view. The goal is to weather the storm and avoid both a public health catastrophe and economic collapse for another 18 months when the virus will hopefully become less virulent or a vaccine developed. There have been analyses indicating that something as simple as wearing masks will enable 95% of economic activities to take place while stopping 95% of transmissions -- which means that the virus will be under control.

Take, for example, Hong Kong where I live. Life is back to normal and schools have re-opened, with the caveat that you get stared at and even yelled at if you are not wearing a mask. Every month or so, you have a rogue community transmission of the virus. But it never spreads beyond family or close workplace units. Even China, despite the recent recurrence in Beijing, is moving full speed ahead. A friend of mine in interior design says that work has been booming in Shanghai and even Wuhan in the past month. Contrast that to the renewal of full lockdowns that will soon be needed in the US.

With the strong probability that either a vaccine or evolution of the virus towards attenuation are going to materialize over the next 18 months, you can focus on how to get to this point. But Americans are simply too ignorant and under-educated to take the very simple and easy measures that will enable economic recovery and safety at the same time, aren't they.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:49 am
With the strong probability that either a vaccine or evolution of the virus towards attenuation are going to materialize over the next 18 months, you can focus on how to get to this point. But Americans are simply too ignorant and under-educated to take the very simple and easy measures that will enable economic recovery and safety at the same time, aren't they.
It all comes from the top where our fearless 'leader' refuses to wear a mask.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:36 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:49 am
It all comes from the top where our fearless 'leader' refuses to wear a mask.
And it trickles down to the uneducated masses