Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
virtual9mm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by virtual9mm »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:35 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:36 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:49 am
With the strong probability that either a vaccine or evolution of the virus towards attenuation are going to materialize over the next 18 months, you can focus on how to get to this point. But Americans are simply too ignorant and under-educated to take the very simple and easy measures that will enable economic recovery and safety at the same time, aren't they.
It all comes from the top where our fearless 'leader' refuses to wear a mask.
And it trickles down to the uneducated masses
Yes, to both.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I watched the movie ‘The Rise Of Hitler’ today. It’s the story of Hitler from childhood to just before WWII. Scary.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:31 pm
I watched the movie ‘The Rise Of Hitler’ today. It’s the story of Hitler from childhood to just before WWII. Scary.
I work with a lot of people from Europe. Last week a German co-worker commented he couldn't believe the US could be dumb enough to elect Trump... :?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:19 pm
Nodack wrote:
I work with a lot of people from Europe. Last week a German co-worker commented he couldn't believe the US could be dumb enough to elect Trump... :?
Sad but true.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Nodack wrote:
I hope you remembered to tell him that he lost the popular vote. (Not that it changes that much about his perception of us.)
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

These are the dipshits we’re up against. Anti-maskers are the new anti-vaxxers. Dumb as hell, confidence of a scholar.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:15 pm
Indy wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Sad but true.
Well my point was his country elected Hitler. So glass houses and all.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

And they vote in a swing state. Sorry, but this isn't freedom of speech and shouldn't be given a platform. And if she's actually serious and believes all that, they should've dragged her off and thrown her in the loony bin.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:59 pm
And they vote in a swing state. Sorry, but this isn't freedom of speech and shouldn't be given a platform. And if she's actually serious and believes all that, they should've dragged her off and thrown her in the loony bin.
It is a city council meeting. The constituents are allowed to speak (unless they verbally attack people) for 2 minutes.

But yeah, she is completely nuts. Or maybe that is just the 5G talking.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:58 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:15 pm
Indy wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Sad but true.
Well my point was his country elected Hitler. So glass houses and all.

As A musician I have played in a lot of bands. There are singers who sing really well but have no stage presence. There are also singers that don’t sing so well and yet they can command a stage and make people believe and like them anyway. Those are called entertainers. They are kind of rare.

Trump like Hitler and really good entertainers have/had the gift of gab. Trump commands an audience. He craves an audience. He Puts them under his spell and they will believe anything he says. If he was a force for good he could have been one of the greatest of all time. Unfortunately imo he’s not a force for good...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Despite what the President wants us to believe, COVID is still growing out of control. 2.6m cases total in US, 128k deaths. Fri was an all-time high of 47,300 new cases; it's spreading as fast as it has ever been. USA has 4% of the world's population and almost 30% of the world's cases.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We like to do things our own way...

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

3rdside wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:39 am
When I say most, I count 9 of 15 of the wealthiest people in America being anti-trump and the more famous names below that likewise.

Hardly scientific - and I could easily be wrong there - but they'll also be more motivated to spend, imo, vs those who don't dislike Trump but don't love him either, esp when it's Biden in opposition who's historically been pro Wall Street.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... _net_worth
The top 15 list wasn't a great proxy ... it's 93 Trump billionaires to 106 Biden billionaires:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michelatin ... a785962341

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

After months of being silenced, CDC is easing back into public view
https://news.yahoo.com/after-months-of- ... 53863.html
“The CDC is not being allowed to speak,” Frieden told Yahoo News in May. “It is just inconceivable that for more than two months, the best public health agency in the world has been prohibited from speaking to Americans.”

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

At this point, the proof is out there for everyone to see. Italy and other European countries that were hit with this early on took Coronvirus seriously from the start and have seen numbers decrease and are getting back to some kind of normal. Their citizens listened, quarantined/isolated, wore masks, social distanced. The US, some 6 months later, is still arguing over wearing masks. Total failure from the top.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think it's all a strong sign that our culture in the US has decayed and become one of the worst and most toxic cultures in the world. Basically every other civilized nation (except arguably Brazil and/or India) has a basic understanding and agreement among its citizens to take this situation seriously and do the bare minimum to combat it. People all over the world are wearing masks, keeping a distance, washing their hands frequently, and generally doing daily things to reduce the spread of the virus. But in the US, about half or more of our citizens see the idea of doing these things as some kind of insult, an affront, a scheme by the other side of the partisan divide. How did we get this way? Why have we become so selfish and uncaring toward our fellow citizens?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Our leaders and the media tell us to hate each other every single day. That’s where we get it from.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:41 am
People all over the world are wearing masks, keeping a distance, washing their hands frequently, and generally doing daily things to reduce the spread of the virus.
I can only speak on my experiences over here, but this stuff isn't happening so much in Korea anymore.

Almost everyone wears a mask, and they're required for entering most large indoor areas such as Costco and when using public transportation. But other things like social distancing and hand washing.. not so much at all.

Those other preventative measures never really happened here in the first place. There was never a real 'lockdown'. When the virus initially hit here everyone kind of collectively just decided to stay home for a while, but most businesses didn't close for long if at all. I have a friend who's a bar owner and I don't think he's closed up for more than maybe 4-5 days total this year. I think most people trust the government and health care systems to manage everything, so they've essentially gone back to their normal life for the most part. I know I have.

I am still concerned about one thing. I happen to live in a tourist heavy area and I'm curious about what the scene will be in the next couple of months when most of the country has some sort of summer vacation. A huge segment of the population typically travels abroad during this time, but that's not going to happen this year. My neighborhood beach area has been really busy the past couple of months and I fear that it's only going to get more crowded. I've also heard that all of the local hotels have been fully booked throughout the summer for months as well. I guess the only thing that keeps me optimistic is that the tourists will either be Koreans or people who've gone through the government regulated 14-day quarantine. So if someone infected were to visit the area, the outbreak would be far more manageable.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:49 pm
Our leaders and the media tell us to hate each other every single day. That’s where we get it from.
partially this, but also they tell us not to believe anything you see/read/hear.

Cap

Post by Cap »