Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:00 pm
Trade for him now while his value is low!
He is on my list of "just figure out how to get guy here" and one I would happily give up a 1st rounder to make it happen.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Maybe Ricky and our 1st this year. :)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nuggets close their practice facility after COVID issues.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy

Post by Indy »

There is no way this season will finish. If it does, it will be with 50 guys from the G-league playing.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:25 am
There is no way this season will finish. If it does, it will be with 50 guys from the G-league playing.
They are probably just secretly hoping to get their 70 games in for each team.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Aren't the TV deals for 70 games, which is why that's the magic number?

I do agree that any basketball tourney at this point will probably be a letdown with watered down rosters. I'm not even that excited about the tournament overall. Mentally, I'm missing the draft, free agency and summer league at the moment more than actual basketball.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

This report from Cleveland.com may shed light on why Trier isn't a Sun (yet):
Since the season ended, the Cavs have considered a number of possibilities. With limited salary cap space -- and a desire to avoid the tax -- they couldn’t claim Theo Pinson or Allonzo Trier. While they revisited a deal with Trier after he cleared waivers, the former Knicks guard was looking for more money and a different contract structure than the Cavs were willing to give. Members of the front office also questioned his fit alongside young guards Darius Garland, Kevin Porter Jr. and Collin Sexton.
https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2020/06/ ... s-say.html

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Trier isn't good enough to fight with over contracts. Cleveland can have him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Maybe I’m being too optimistic, but I think we’ll see less positive tests once they get to Orlando. While it’s not exactly a bubble since Disney employees will come and go, I can’t imagine they’d be any safer back in their home markets. Constant testing, social distancing everywhere but the actual games.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:25 am
Indy wrote:
Maybe I’m being too optimistic, but I think we’ll see less positive tests once they get to Orlando. While it’s not exactly a bubble since Disney employees will come and go, I can’t imagine they’d be any safer back in their home markets. Constant testing, social distancing everywhere but the actual games.
I guess it depends on how many people in the Orlando area are dying each day.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

These kids are too thirsty to actually be responsible adults and stay home. This rush of positive tests is not the least bit surprising

Split T

Post by Split T »

There’s also a rush because every nba player had to be tested before going into the bubble.

Are you saying you think they’ll leave the bubble? I guess I’m not sure how the nba plans to enforce that or not, but ya that could make things problematic. I’d guess a lot had been fairly careless during the break, hence why we saw 16 test positive, but that’s why I figured they’d be safer in the bubble. That’s assuming they stay in it though.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:18 pm
There’s also a rush because every nba player had to be tested before going into the bubble.

Are you saying you think they’ll leave the bubble? I guess I’m not sure how the nba plans to enforce that or not, but ya that could make things problematic. I’d guess a lot had been fairly careless during the break, hence why we saw 16 test positive, but that’s why I figured they’d be safer in the bubble. That’s assuming they stay in it though.
I didn’t mean in the bubble, I’m actually surprised it’s not half the league testing positive right now with all players being tested. I don’t see them as the type to have been sitting at home for 2 months.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:14 pm
Split T wrote:

I didn’t mean in the bubble, I’m actually surprised it’s not half the league testing positive right now with all players being tested. I don’t see them as the type to have been sitting at home for 2 months.
You don't see them having the type of discipline they need to stay safe for the next 2 months?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:18 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:

You don't see them having the type of discipline they need to stay safe for the next 2 months?
Do you?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:23 pm
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:

Do you?
I mean you have to have a lot of discipline to be one of the 450 best in the world of whatever you do, especially something that so many people would love to be and doesn't require a tremendous amount of money or education to achieve.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:58 am
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:23 pm
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:

Do you?
I mean you have to have a lot of discipline to be one of the 450 best in the world of whatever you do, especially something that so many people would love to be and doesn't require a tremendous amount of money or education to achieve.
I also think they’re 20 something year old millionaires who are used to going out and meeting girls. See: DBook as one example meeting up with the kardashians.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Yeah, not to generalize, but I doubt that the NBA players as a group are being super cautious and social distancing and wearing masks everywhere. Some are, I'm sure, but many either don't know or don't care what to do to be safe.