Movies / TV Shows

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

Re: TV Shows / Movies

Post by Superbone »

I'll probably be watching Hamilton for the first time tonight. It's streaming on Disney+.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:37 pm
Yes, I saw Whiplash. I was in the Scottsdale Community College Jazz band out of HS and It wasn’t nearly as intense as that movie. Then again we weren’t that good.
One of my favorite things in the world is to play in a good contemporary jazz big band. I was lucky to have a great band in college at NAU. Also, had a few chances to play with a local gigging big band a few years ago. Now that I'm getting back in shape, might have to find one. Although, I'm pretty sure the reason I have tinnitus today is from all the years of sitting in front of a trumpet section.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have tinnitus too. Decades of gigs takes it’s toll. My first experience with ringing in the ears was when I was a kid playing with a cap gun. Remember those? I would get the roll of caps and use my thumb to scrape the cap and get one to pop. That got boring so I decided to get a hammer and hit the entire roll of caps with it to see if the bang was bigger. It was and that was my first good experience with ringing of the ears.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

A few recommendations for you guys:

If you liked Game of Thrones: The Last Kingdom on Netflix. It’s Saxons vs. Danes in 8th century England. Similar to GoT stylistically and with how mercilessly it offs main characters, minus the fantasy elements. Also follows one protagonist instead of having 15 different storylines.

If you like sci fi: Devs on Hulu. Trippy show about a couple that works at a large Silicon Valley tech company with a mysterious “Devs” team that’s working on...something. A murder occurs, free will vs determinism are debated. It’s definitely interesting and cool to look at. From Alex Garland, who made the movies Ex Machina and Annihilation.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Oh, man. I really want to see Devs but I’m not subscribing to yet another service. Already have Netflix, CBS all-access, Disney, and Prime at the moment.
"Be Legendary."

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

I got tinnitus from listening to my ipod in 2006 when I first started riding the tube. I had no idea how loud the tube was, nor my ipod therefore. It wasn't until a girlfriend at the time pointed it out at home 5 months later when she arrived.

Was recovering okay until a few years later when I was under a bridge and an ambulance turned it's sirens on right in front of me which blew my ears out for another year. I still have it but it's not bad at all.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Watched Alien last night - for a film shot in '79 it's pretty sharp though the Sigourney Weaver / underwear section of final scene felt a little kooky. The 70's, lol.

Not sure I'll watch Aliens as remember it pretty well, but I did watch Parasite instead - the Korean Oscar winner - good and recommended.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Those f***ing ambulance drivers (with some respect here) and cops (no respect here) btw, using their sirens as symbols of authorit-a at totally unnecessary moments ... seriously, no one wants to hear it.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Dark season 3 is just too much. I thought season one was a masterpiece. Season 2 was pretty good (with a ridiculous twist). I've got one episode left in the 3rd season and I need a diagram to keep track. It's just bananas.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:50 am
Dark season 3 is just too much. I thought season one was a masterpiece. Season 2 was pretty good (with a ridiculous twist). I've got one episode left in the 3rd season and I need a diagram to keep track. It's just bananas.
I heard the ending to this series lives up to the hype for a change. If I watch a series it's going to be this one.

Indy

Post by Indy »

3rdside wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:02 am
Watched Alien last night - for a film shot in '79 it's pretty sharp though the Sigourney Weaver / underwear section of final scene felt a little kooky. The 70's, lol.

Not sure I'll watch Aliens as remember it pretty well, but I did watch Parasite instead - the Korean Oscar winner - good and recommended.
yeah this is fantastic

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Loved Parasite. A movie that wins best picture and actually lives up the hype.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:09 am
yeah, seems like that doesn't happen often.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:31 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:09 am
yeah, seems like that doesn't happen often.
I gotta agree with you guys. Loved it. In a related story, this was the first movie I watched on AppleTV and they have by far the best picture and audio of any streaming service. The audio separation was unbelievable. The best my sound system has ever sounded while watching a movie! And it's not even close. I came away super impressed.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

On an unrelated note, has anyone noticed the muscles on my Ayton avatar?! Holy crap! What a beast. I forgot how much of a physical specimen he is. Wasn't he also playing amazing ball when he came back from suspension? Seems like forever ago.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I am totally down with Ayton. He gets a lot of hate from people for the things he says and his lack of aggression He’s like a big kid right now because he’s a big kid. He will get more mature like all kids do with age. I remember Amare getting a lot of crap too. “He doesn’t play any defense and he can only dunk”.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:01 am
I am totally down with Ayton. He gets a lot of hate from people for the things he says and his lack of aggression He’s like a big kid right now because he’s a big kid. He will get more mature like all kids do with age. I remember Amare getting a lot of crap too. “He doesn’t play any defense and he can only dunk”.
Amare's aggression was never in question.

and yeah he will mature like all players do. He has the physical tools to be the most dominant 5 in the game. I hope he makes it happen and am rooting for him.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:57 am
Nodack wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:01 am
Amare's aggression was never in question.

and yeah he will mature like all players do. He has the physical tools to be the most dominant 5 in the game. I hope he makes it happen and am rooting for him.
Exactly. Amare wanted to kill people (metaphorically) on the court. He didn't need to talk about it because it was obvious by just watching him. That's what drove him to strive for greatness, and I don't doubt he'd have made it if it weren't for his knees.

Ayton has only shown glimpses of that same mentality and he'll always come up short of the expectations placed on him if he doesn't fully commit himself to competition and being the best.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yes Amare was very aggressive but my point stands. Like all players he was far from perfect and had holes in his game that he improved on over the years.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Phoenix might hit 119 this Friday. Awesome!