Democratic primary watch

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: Democratic primary watch

Post by Nodack »

An oldie but a goodie.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Biden, Gates, Musk: Bitcoin scam breaches some of world's most prominent Twitter accounts
Suspected bitcoin scammers grabbed control of accounts belonging to the rich and famous, as well as lower-profile accounts, for more than two hours.
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/s ... n-n1233948

The Twitter accounts of Barack Obama, Jeff Bezos, Joe Biden, Elon Musk and many other high-profile people and companies became pawns Wednesday in one of the most visible cyberscams in the internet's history.

A tweet typical of the attack sent from the account of Bill Gates, the software mogul who is the world's second-wealthiest person, promised to double all payments sent to his Bitcoin address for the next 30 minutes.

"Everyone is asking me to give back, and now is the time," the tweet said. "You send $1,000, I send you back $2,000."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I watched the attack unfold yesterday on my Twitter. Pretty amazing. It sounds like they had access to internal Twitter tools that they used to change the email addresses of many prominent accounts, then they reset the accounts' passwords and took control. The attackers claimed to have bribed a Twitter employee to get access to the tools. Wow.

It doesn't sound like they made off with too much money, but I worry about how easy it is to disrupt such an important service as Twitter. Will more devious attackers compromise the service just before our November election?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:31 am
I watched the attack unfold yesterday on my Twitter. Pretty amazing. It sounds like they had access to internal Twitter tools that they used to change the email addresses of many prominent accounts, then they reset the accounts' passwords and took control. The attackers claimed to have bribed a Twitter employee to get access to the tools. Wow.

It doesn't sound like they made off with too much money, but I worry about how easy it is to disrupt such an important service as Twitter. Will more devious attackers compromise the service just before our November election?
I saw a 'report' that estimated hundreds of thousands, and potentially into 7 figures.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I worry about how easy it is to disrupt such an important service as Twitter.
I don’t consider Twitter an important service. Don’t even have an account or have any interest in one. I even closed my Facebook account after some guy from Taiwan claimed to have my passwords and threatened to do bad things if I didn’t send him 1000 bit coins. I ignored him and closed it. I only received a few more emails before he gave up.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:48 am
I worry about how easy it is to disrupt such an important service as Twitter.
I don’t consider Twitter an important service. Don’t even have an account or have any interest in one. I even closed my Facebook account after some guy from Taiwan claimed to have my passwords and threatened to do bad things if I didn’t send him 1000 bit coins. I ignored him and closed it. I only received a few more emails before he gave up.
I applaud that, but also you have to admit you are in the vast minority of adults in the US. Isn't twitter in the top 3 information/news sources in the US? TV/Cable, FB, Twitter........... news papers.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have no doubt of their popularity. I just don’t have any interest

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:49 am
I have no doubt of their popularity. I just don’t have any interest
I get it, I was just debating the "importance" aspect.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Article from Bloomberg - normally I can't see them / don't know why I could this one.

One of the points is China wanting Trump to win - any US adversary would for obvious reasons - and there's no way, imo, he can now win without cheating .. but he's got pretty much got all the dictators on his side no doubt prepared to help him do that.

Stopping the cheating I guess is not going to be easy - said with no evidence - and I forgot he has the owner of the post office in his back pocket, which hardly gives me a good feeling ..

Spoiler: show/hide

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

What I would absolutely bet money on is Trump having an operation going to work out exactly how cheating the election might work. It's his only chance and he now knows it.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

And I just can't get over this photo of Trump at the top of the page - he's a fucking looney tune and doesn't the photo show it:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-pandemic

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

He's a freak show inside and out.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Get ready...

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/13-shot-illin ... ories.html
President Donald Trump is refusing to publicly commit to accepting the results of the upcoming White House election, recalling a similar threat he made weeks before the 2016 vote, as he scoffs at polls showing him lagging behind Democrat Joe Biden. Trump says it's too early to make such an ironclad guarantee.

“I have to see. Look ... I have to see,” Trump told moderator Chris Wallace during a wide-ranging interview on ”Fox News Sunday." “No, I’m not going to just say yes. I’m not going to say no, and I didn’t last time either.

“First of all, I’m not losing, because those are fake polls,” Trump said in the taped interview, which aired Sunday. “They were fake in 2016 and now they’re even more fake. The polls were much worse in 2016.”

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump skirting Congress to install loyalists in the Pentagon
Experts and Democratic lawmakers alike decried the campaign to root out those seen as disloyal and replace them with Trump acolytes.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/1 ... gon-366922

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

So do we really think if he loses in November that he and Barr, McConnell and Miller are just going to let Biden and the Dems wipe out all of these hirings/positions that serve Trump and GOP interests? They're not making these moves just to last a few months.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Yeah, and the courts stacking as well. If Trump is a criminal - and I think he is, with Obstruction of Justice, Emoluments Clause, Ukraine, and his tax returns promising to show up show some ugly things - and assuming he loses, then I'd expect all his appointments could and should be reviewed.

This election is going to be ugly as hell.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This article talks about options for what might happen if Trump refuses to accept the election results on Election Night, and/or tries to block mail-in votes from being counted.

https://thebulwark.com/get-ready-for-th ... n-recount/

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

See what's happening in Portland? Expect that in every major city.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:36 am
This article talks about options for what might happen if Trump refuses to accept the election results on Election Night, and/or tries to block mail-in votes from being counted.

https://thebulwark.com/get-ready-for-th ... n-recount/
“If”?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:02 am
See what's happening in Portland? Expect that in every major city.
I think so. I think Trump and Barr will send men to stand guard around polling places, wearing prominent "ICE" logos, to scare off Democratic voters of Mexican ethnicity. And I think he'll use force to try to stop ballot counting in places where he has a lead if the mail-in ballots have not been counted yet.