Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:10 pm
The possible scenario I keep hearing about is roughly the following: Trump spends lots of time between now and Nov talking about voter fraud and how vote-by-mail is evil and prone to tampering. Then we do the real election and lots of Dems vote by mail. By the end of election night, the mail votes haven't been counted. Without the mail votes, maybe Trump squeaks ahead. He insists that states call the election and certify the result. States with GOP House majority do so and submit their electoral college votes. The mail votes that would tip the election blue never get counted.

Is it possible? Can state legislatures do such a thing?
afaik, you can't call an election until the remaining votes to be counted wouldn't make a difference. So if you are in FL and 1.7 million people voted, and .2 million of that was from mail in, you couldn't call the election unless one candidate was ahead by more than .2 million.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

https://www.newsweek.com/these-are-stat ... il-1505245
Before the pandemic struck the U.S., only five states—Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Utah and Washington—conducted their elections using a vote-by-mail system. Though all states allow voters to vote by mail in certain circumstances, before the pandemic 16 required voters to provide reasons for those preferences before their applications were approved. Those restrictions have been significantly relaxed over the past couple of months, with many states actively working to expand options for at-home voting in an attempt to limit foot traffic at polling places.

Arizona elections officials defend mail-in voting after Trump’s criticism
https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2020/06/ ... il-voting/
Arizona Secretary of State Katie Hobbs also disagreed that mail-in ballots aren’t safe.

“He’s flat out wrong,” Hobbs said of the president’s claims. “We have a long track record of successful and secure voting by mail in Arizona. Ballots are tracked when they leave the county recorder’s office to go to voters, and voters can find out the status of their ballots once they return it. So there’s a lot of safeguards in place.”

About 80% of Arizona voters receive ballots in the mail, according to the Citizens Clean Elections Commission.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I've also read up on some scenarios where the news orgs, who always want to be first, might call a state one way or another and then later on the results could change after mail-in votes are counted (maybe up to a week later). If the results go against Trump, of course he'll claim fraud and challenge.

Thought these were some good articles:

https://news.yahoo.com/trumps-attacks-o ... 17202.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/revealed-rep ... 08562.html

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Nice. Those RINO’s are coming hard for Trump. I know RINO means Republican In Name Only and is meant as an insult. To me RINO means Moderate Republican who isn’t bat shit crazy like Magabillies.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Lincoln Project is having a big impact. They run ads targeted at Republicans, and they air them on Fox and other GOP outlets. I know it doesn't land for 98% of Trump's base, but there are a lot of other decent Republicans out there who are willing to be persuaded and be reasonable.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:02 am
Apparently, all Covid-19 data now bypasses the CDC and goes directly to the White House to be sliced and diced before shared with the public. This will allow the White House and POTUS the ability to manipulate the data. Exciting times.

What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:33 am
ShelC wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:02 am
Apparently, all Covid-19 data now bypasses the CDC and goes directly to the White House to be sliced and diced before shared with the public. This will allow the White House and POTUS the ability to manipulate the data. Exciting times.

right, but they have said it won't change access to the data, just increased reliability in submitting and storing it. clearly they are lying again (still?).

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The CDC is the agency tasked with protecting us from infectious diseases and Trump has completely neutered them during the worst pandemic of our lifetimes. How is that even possible?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:44 am
The CDC is the agency tasked with protecting us from infectious diseases and Trump has completely neutered them during the worst pandemic of our lifetimes. How is that even possible?
because racism. and also because senators (on both sides) care more about their power/party power than the country.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... andling-of
San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich tore into Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick (R) Wednesday over their handling of the coronavirus pandemic, saying “they’re all cowards and they’re all afraid.”

Popovich spoke with reporters during a video call while wearing a shirt that read: “Vote — Your Life Depends On It.”

“We have a lieutenant governor who decided he doesn’t want to listen to [Anthony] Fauci and those people any more,” Popovich said before adding sarcastically, “That makes a lot of sense. How safe can that be? The messaging is ridiculous.”

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:28 am
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... andling-of
San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich tore into Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick (R) Wednesday over their handling of the coronavirus pandemic, saying “they’re all cowards and they’re all afraid.”

Popovich spoke with reporters during a video call while wearing a shirt that read: “Vote — Your Life Depends On It.”

“We have a lieutenant governor who decided he doesn’t want to listen to [Anthony] Fauci and those people any more,” Popovich said before adding sarcastically, “That makes a lot of sense. How safe can that be? The messaging is ridiculous.”
I sure have come to respect the heck out of Pop.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I love the way Pop and Kerr are using their voice to speak out about racial justice issues and COVID and other important things.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

White House blocks CDC from testifying on reopening schools next week
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/17/politics ... index.html

"It is alarming that the Trump administration is preventing the CDC from appearing before the Committee at a time when its expertise and guidance is so critical to the health and safety of students, parents, and educators," the Virginia Democrat said in a statement.

Indy

Post by Indy »

they are literally fine with "killing a few people" if it helps their re-election campaign. it is fucking disgraceful

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Sorry for all you living in Arizona. Just saw that Arizona is number one in anti-mask sentiment. My home state is full of dumb asses. Makes me sick.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:35 pm
Sorry for all you living in Arizona. Just saw that Arizona is number one in anti-mask sentiment. My home state is full of dumb asses. Makes me sick.
it is all the 'libertarians' here.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump administration seeking to block funding for CDC, contact tracing and testing in new relief bill: report
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... ct-tracing

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

His strategy has always been to deny that the virus was a threat at all, to deflect by talking about other things like culture wars, and to just hope it goes away on its own. Now he is blocking needed funding for testing and tracing so the CDC can actually do its job. He is an active impediment to our handling the virus. How many of the deaths are directly on Trump's hands? Tens of thousands, at least.