Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
specialsauce

Re: Coronavirus: When should we be concerned?

Post by specialsauce »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:58 am
AZ covid cases have been off the charts. This past week it seems to have peaked and is starting to decline.
Masks and cutting off bars work. We’re still at a really high % positive, but inpatient volumes are down which is reassuring. It will be really important that the governor doesn’t knee jerk reopen again . We need to keep bars closed and inDoor dining restricted severely until this is over.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It feels like it’s never going to be over. 2020 has definitely been the worst year ever. When life gives you lemons.... When the going gets tough... It’s always darkest before...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's funny how once you force everyone to wear masks and stay distant, the virus cases start to level off. Huh.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:00 pm
It's funny how once you force everyone to wear masks and stay distant, the virus cases start to level off. Huh.
Probably just a coincidence. Just think of all of the damage you are doing by forcing people to breathe in their own CO2.

Cap

Post by Cap »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:02 am
Nodack wrote:
AZ covid cases have been off the charts. This past week it seems to have peaked and is starting to decline.
Masks and cutting off bars work. We’re still at a really high % positive, but inpatient volumes are down which is reassuring. It will be really important that the governor doesn’t knee jerk reopen again . We need to keep bars closed and inDoor dining restricted severely until this is over.
Bars are open.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Cap wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:22 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Bars are open.
By his executive order they are not supposed to be.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Bars are open.
Stay out of those bars, Cap!
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:21 pm
Cap wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Bars are open.
Unless they serve food.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/restaur ... n-11477970

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Cap lives right next to a bar with food.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Cap wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:44 am
specialsauce wrote:
Cap wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Bars are open.
Unless they serve food.

SMH.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:12 am
Seven such businesses, in fact.

I think of Zipps and Phx Beer Co. as bars that serve food. Twisted Grove, Grassroots, Agave Del Scottsdale, Khazana, and Crust are restaurants that have bars. This is not based on any objective standard, just a subjective impression of what the emphasis seems to be.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:31 am
Cap wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:44 am
specialsauce wrote:
Cap wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Bars are open.
Unless they serve food.

SMH.
his executive orders are feckless, just like his leadership.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Cap wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:36 am
Nodack wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:12 am
Seven such businesses, in fact.

I think of Zipps and Phx Beer Co. as bars that serve food. Twisted Grove, Grassroots, Agave Del Scottsdale, Khazana, and Crust are restaurants that have bars. This is not based on any objective standard, just a subjective impression of what the emphasis seems to be.
I have ordered takeout from Zipps a few times in the last couple months, and they seem to do a good job social distancing at the tables, but the bar itself is full. I can’t understand for the life of me why it isn’t a requirement to close bar seating. It’s as bad as it gets.

I wouldn’t call Zipps a bar. Sports bar maybe- but not a whole lot different than functionally a restaurant. When I think of bars I’m thinking of places in old town Scottsdale (the nightclubs), or even lounges (yes- swizzle) where there are a ton of people in close proximity- not a sit down place.

If you want to argue that all indoor dining should be banned- I agree with you. But I think that’s a different but related topic.

I would open gyms with strict social distancing, masking, and capacity enforcements. I would ban all indoor dining of any kind (coffee shops, bars, restaurants, ice cream - whatever) where people are in an enclosed space without masks.

Hair salons and spas under same requirements as the gym, with mandatory masks for patrons and employees, and strict capacity reductions.

I would fine anyone found not wearing a mask. I would place a repeat offender under in-house arrest. Yes, I’m serious.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Even mild coronavirus cases can cause lasting cardiovascular damage, study shows
https://theweek.com/speedreads/927908/e ... tudy-shows
The study published Monday in JAMA Cardiology details the results of cardiac MRI exams of 100 recovered coronavirus patients. Twenty-eight of them required oxygen supplementation while fighting the virus, while just two were on ventilators. But 78 of them still had cardiovascular abnormalities after recovery, with 60 of them showing "ongoing myocardial inflammation," the study shows. These conditions appeared to be independent of case severity and pre-existing conditions, though JAMA researchers note these findings need a larger study.

Cap

Post by Cap »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/grim-opti ... -19-future
As a bevy of experts all told The Daily Beast this week, “all this”—the lockdowns, shifting hot spots, and surges in deaths and hospitalizations that threaten local health systems—will probably last about two to three years total.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I haven't watched the national news much at all since the NBA has restarted. What is the perception of how Sweden has handled the pandemic?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:05 am
I haven't watched the national news much at all since the NBA has restarted. What is the perception of how Sweden has handled the pandemic?
Not good from what I've seen. Most think their approach was a failure. They have a much higher percentage of cases than their neighboring countries.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don’t know. I haven’t been watching the news much either. I haven’t cared about Sweden’s handling of Covid. I will check it out.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53498133

Sweden has largely relied on voluntary social distancing guidelines since the start of the pandemic, including working from home where possible and avoiding public transport.
There's also been a ban on gatherings of more than 50 people, restrictions on visiting care homes, and a shift to table-only service in bars and restaurants.

Anders Tegnell says his modelling indicates that, on average, Swedes have around 30% of the social interactions they did prior to the pandemic.
And a survey released this week by Sweden's Civil Contingencies Agency suggests 87% of the population are continuing to follow social distancing recommendations to the same extent as they were one or two weeks earlier, up from 82% a month ago.

Sweden becomes an example of how not to handle COVID-19
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sweden-cov ... -covid-19/

The public health authorities banned gatherings of over 50 people, closed high schools and universities, and advised people to maintain a safe distance. But stores and restaurants have remained open throughout the pandemic, as have elementary and middle schools.

The country's mortality rate from the coronavirus is now 30% higher than that of the United States when adjusted for population size.

When Jan tested positive for COVID-19, the care home where he lived didn't send him to the hospital. Staff stopped monitoring his oxygen levels and gave him morphine. He died within days.

Asked how health care professionals could take such decisions — essentially making a call not to treat a patient — Gluckman said authorities in Stockholm seemed to decide early on that they weren't going to treat the elderly, perhaps to keep ICU beds available.

She said without hesitation that she's "lost faith" in both the government's and the public health authorities' handling of the epidemic.

A bigger problem could be the impact on Sweden's wider international reputation for high-quality state health and elderly care, she believes. "There has been a blow to the Swedish image of being this humanitarian superpower in the world. Our halo has been knocked down, and we have a lot to prove now."

Just 45% of Swedes now have confidence in the government's ability to handle the pandemic, according to a Novus survey last month, down from 63% in April.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I saw these on twitter today and thought they were interesting as it pertains to Sweden.

"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass