Suns News: Coronavirus Break

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: Coronavirus Break

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:27 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:04 pm
Yes, we know, Marty... Those smoldering eyes.
Under that mask, you could say he has an infectious smile.
You're pushing it, MARTY!!! :P
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Rubio (and Oubre) out tonight. Ty Jerome starting at point, Bridges at SF.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2330145 ... me-starts/

O_Gardino

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by O_Gardino »

I don't think we've talked about this tidbit from Gina Mizell's newsletter on Tuesday. She's my absolute favorite news source for Suns related stuff.
5. Saturday was a reminder of the arc of Mikal Bridges’ season.

The second-year wing referenced a blunt conversation between him and Williams in Memphis early on, when he was not playing as much as expected. Later, he fixed a hitch in his shot. Now, with Kelly Oubre Jr. likely out for at least part of this restart, Bridges is expected to continue starting at small forward and have the flexibility to shift to shooting guard and power forward.

“You just started to see this guy who was not only playing better, but he just had so much more confidence on the floor,” Williams said. “We hope that he becomes that guy with the starting group. That’s something that I‘ve thought about a lot. Not quite sure how that’s gonna work out, but I believe he has every intangible and talent and quality to be a glue guy in that starting lineup.”

Added Bridges: “He wanted me to work a little bit harder. So it kind of got my head to, after practice, off days, come in and keep working, and then I got to the position I was at before the season ended.”

Bridges scored in double figures in six of the Suns’ final seven games before the hiatus, including a 21-point, 10-rebound performance in a win over the Bucks on March 8.
The obvious solution is to start Oubre and Bridges, but of course this leaves the door open for trades or bringing Oubre of the bench as the scorer that 2nd unit needs. I love Bridges, so I'm glad that coach sees the same value in that kind of glue guy.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:41 am
I don't think we've talked about this tidbit from Gina Mizell's newsletter on Tuesday. She's my absolute favorite news source for Suns related stuff.
5. Saturday was a reminder of the arc of Mikal Bridges’ season.

The second-year wing referenced a blunt conversation between him and Williams in Memphis early on, when he was not playing as much as expected. Later, he fixed a hitch in his shot. Now, with Kelly Oubre Jr. likely out for at least part of this restart, Bridges is expected to continue starting at small forward and have the flexibility to shift to shooting guard and power forward.

“You just started to see this guy who was not only playing better, but he just had so much more confidence on the floor,” Williams said. “We hope that he becomes that guy with the starting group. That’s something that I‘ve thought about a lot. Not quite sure how that’s gonna work out, but I believe he has every intangible and talent and quality to be a glue guy in that starting lineup.”

Added Bridges: “He wanted me to work a little bit harder. So it kind of got my head to, after practice, off days, come in and keep working, and then I got to the position I was at before the season ended.”

Bridges scored in double figures in six of the Suns’ final seven games before the hiatus, including a 21-point, 10-rebound performance in a win over the Bucks on March 8.
The obvious solution is to start Oubre and Bridges, but of course this leaves the door open for trades or bringing Oubre of the bench as the scorer that 2nd unit needs. I love Bridges, so I'm glad that coach sees the same value in that kind of glue guy.
he was aggressive on both ends last night, and it was good to see. He needs to keep that up if he wants to be a starter in this league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:34 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:41 am

he was aggressive on both ends last night, and it was good to see. He needs to keep that up if he wants to be a starter in this league.
Yep.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

There was an arson fire down at the AZ Democratic Party Headquarters today.

Why am I posting about it here you might ask? As any old-timers around here could tell you, that building used to be home of the Suns' business offices for years until they moved into America West Arena in 1992. I remember many trips down there to visit there tiny "team shop" to buy shirts, posters and other Suns' merchandise.

I also remember checking out Jerry's Jaguar which was occasionally parked in the parking lot.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This is great!
Williams, an avid fisherman, brought his own gear to Orlando, and has fished at a lake by the team's hotel at Walt Disney World.

Bridges, a fishing novice, joined him Monday. That's something not likely to happen in Phoenix during the season.

Bridges asked his coach what it felt like when a fish took the bait. Sometimes, Williams said, you'll feel a steady thump. And sometimes, a big bass will nearly jerk the rod from your hand.

“I’m watching him fish and I can see his rod moving,” Williams said. “I can tell it was a fish that had taken the bait. Ty Jerome calls him on FaceTime at the same time he was getting a hit. And Mikal, because he doesn’t know how to fish and doesn’t fish often, answered the phone.

“As soon as he answered it, he realizes he’s getting a hit. He tries to reel it in and answer at the same time. He ended up losing the fish. I just look at Mikal and said, ‘dude, unless it’s your mom, or your wife or God, you never answer the phone when you get a hit.’”
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Baynes has been cleared to play! He is en route to Florida.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2333182 ... join-suns/
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Too funny

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

8-) :D

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Listening to Sam Vecenie’s game theory podcast. They are reacting to the early scrimmages, nice little section on Mikal Bridges. Sam says Mikal will be on an All-Defense team next year and then says he majorly screwed up leaving him off his top 50 rookie contract guys. Nice to see people seeing how good Mikal is.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:11 pm
Listening to Sam Vecenie’s game theory podcast. They are reacting to the early scrimmages, nice little section on Mikal Bridges. Sam says Mikal will be on an All-Defense team next year and then says he majorly screwed up leaving him off his top 50 rookie contract guys. Nice to see people seeing how good Mikal is.
Hell yeah he did. Didn't he have Miles Bridges above Mikal?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:16 pm
Split T wrote:
He figured he'd burn that Bridge(s) after he crossed it.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:19 pm
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
Haha.

I just looked at it and yes, he had Miles at 46 and Mikal missed the cut. :roll:
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:20 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:19 pm
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
Haha.

I just looked at it and yes, he had Miles at 46 and Mikal missed the cut. :roll:
Mikal was bad a good chunk of this season. I don't think ranking a player that averages 13 ppg over a player that averages 8 is a crime. I'm not saying I prefer Miles, but come on, we're giving Mikal a lot of credit for 8 games and 2 scrimmages, and one of the scrimmages he was 5-13 from the field.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.