NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by In2ition »

I like Larkin. He's small, but he's really athletic, he has a great feel for the game, and best of all he can shoot the heck out of the ball.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:01 pm
I like Larkin. He's small, but he's really athletic, he has a great feel for the game, and best of all he can shoot the heck out of the ball.
I bet he's a decent baseball player too.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

What do you guys think of trading the pick for Kennard. Then going after FVV and Chris Boucher in FA and for the most part bringing everyone else back?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Didn't Kennard have injury problems? Any update on that?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:44 pm
Didn't Kennard have injury problems? Any update on that?
He had tendinitis in his knees, but has said he's all healthy now.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Is Kennard really the answer?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:48 pm
If the question is, "How do you make the bench much stronger when Booker and Rubio go to the bench?" I would say he's a very good piece for the bench. Someone that can create for himself, can pass and can shoot. He would keep the Suns from falling off the cliff when Booker goes to the bench.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:40 pm
What do you guys think of trading the pick for Kennard. Then going after FVV and Chris Boucher in FA and for the most part bringing everyone else back?
Not sure how to do that cap wise. At the least, you have to let Saric/Baynes/Kaminsky go to have space for FVV. Kennard will cost 5ish million as well which cuts into the cap if you’re not sending any contracts back. To be fair, I haven’t actually looked to see if it could be doable, but on the surface I don’t see how.

Not considering the cap, it leaves us quite guard heavy. If we’re adding FVV, we don’t need Kennard anymore. FVV more than fixes the bench. You’d see a lot of 3 guard lineups, which cuts into Oubre/Bridges/Cam minutes, who’d have to all play a lot of 4.

I was somewhat in favor of going after Kennard at the deadline, but that was when we still had an outside shot at the playoffs. At this point I think I’d rather just use the pick. I do think someone valuable will be there.

FVV is nice, and he’d be a dream signing, just can’t imagine a scenario where he wants to leave Toronto and we are his choice.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m worried about cap space. Not sure there is really gonna be enough for us to do much. We might just be better off retaining all our FA’s and operating over the cap. Then we can use the full MLE.
1. Booker
2. Ayton
3. Oubre
4. Bridges
5. Rubio
6. Cam
7. Saric
8. Baynes

We’d have 8 playable guys with the 10th overall pick plus the MLE to add 9 and 10. Whatever collection of Jerome/Okobo/Carter/Payne/Lecque/Kaminsky/Diallo we retain are welcome to try and crack the rotation, but I’m not counting on it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I saw someone suggest that the Suns try to move up with a future pick to take someone like Hayes. With that, you could still keep the top 8 and possibly add someone like Boucher. That could be a decent bench with those top 10. I would love to add a straight flamethrower sniper, but might be too much to ask for.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:29 pm
I’d give Larkin a serious look, he’s been tearing it up overseas.
I don't put a lot of stock in what Larkin. His team has given him an incredible green light where he can take essentially any shot he wants to at any time. For a player like Larkin, that is a dream come true. But it is much harder to have an impact when your shots and minutes are significantly reduced and you're playing against better competition.

Larkin has a decent jumper and can play the passing lanes, but his point guard skills are minimal.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:52 pm
ShelC wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:48 pm
If the question is, "How do you make the bench much stronger when Booker and Rubio go to the bench?" I would say he's a very good piece for the bench.
Or keep the pick and sign Allonzo Trier.

Trading a lotto pick for a backup shooting guard would be a waste.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:51 pm
Split T wrote:
I don't put a lot of stock in what Larkin. His team has given him an incredible green light where he can take essentially any shot he wants to at any time. For a player like Larkin, that is a dream come true. But it is much harder to have an impact when your shots and minutes are significantly reduced and you're playing against better competition.

Larkin has a decent jumper and can play the passing lanes, but his point guard skills are minimal.
He did shoot over 50% from 3 this year on 7 attempts. I can’t speak to his playmaking skills, I’m just pretty underwhelmed by the FA pg class as a whole. I guess we could get DJ Augustin

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:50 pm
I saw someone suggest that the Suns try to move up with a future pick to take someone like Hayes. With that, you could still keep the top 8 and possibly add someone like Boucher.
There isn't enough of a difference in talent to warrant trading a future pick to move up. James Jones would probably do it, but it be more of the same wasting of resources.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:58 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:

He did shoot over 50% from 3 this year on 7 attempts. I can’t speak to his playmaking skills, I’m just pretty underwhelmed by the FA pg class as a whole. I guess we could get DJ Augustin
Augustin really fell off this year. It could have been just injury, or it could be father time. He used to be really solid.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:

Decent shooter is someone shooting over 50% from 3 and over 70% TS? That's an interesting definition.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I'm going by what he has done in the NBA.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think Hayes is the mostly likely player linked to us to be there at 10.

I also wouldn’t trade our top 10 pick for Kennard. I’d rather make a good pick and have the asset cost-controlled for 7 years. Kennard is entering RFA and we’ll have to pay to keep him.

Perhaps if we jump into the top 4 and Detroit drops to 7 we trade down and pick up Kennard?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I kind of like Dunn and MCW as low-cost backup options, but I’d like them much more if our starting PG was a good 3 point shooter.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Dunn is interesting, just don’t think we can afford to add non shooters to the team.