So Long NAZ Suns

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

So Long NAZ Suns

Post by ShelC »

Mori Chu

Re: So Long NAZ Suns

Post by Mori Chu »

Huh. So they basically were costing / losing too much money, and Sarver wanted out? Is that the way to think of it?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Did the NAZ Suns yield any NBA prospects who actually got to the big league? I can't remember. Or did we just send guys down there from our roster for short stints to practice their skills and then call them back?

We had Lecque down there, right? It will be hard to give him any chance to play minutes and grow his skills without the NAZ Suns around.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LOL

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Definitely a cost cutting move made to look like a BOps decision.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

That's too bad. I like watching the Salt Lake City Stars, and everytime the NAZ Suns came to town I was really interested. It was great to see Lecque up close and in person last year. I'll miss seeing a Suns affliate.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The Suns probably just switch places with the Pistons and use an affiliate that they don't own, like the Grand Rapids team wasn't owned by the Pistons. This might have something to do with the Pistons moving to a full rebuild mode and the Suns moving out of the rebuild mode. I'm not a huge fan of this, because I think it shows the Suns as a poverty franchise with an owner that has pretty shallow pockets, who can't play on a level field with the big boys. They haven't been very good in development, so this doesn't really help.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

"does not align with the Suns' strategic plan over the next 3-5 years."

I feel like a strategic plan should look farther than 3-5 years.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

They have done a piss poor job of utilizing their G-League team anyway.

They would ocassionaly send the end of the roster guys down there, but never sent the young players who needed playing time before being thrown into the fire here - Bender, Chriss, Jackson, Len, etc.

Maybe a couple of those players could ha e amounted to something on a team with an actual plan.

Sometimes it's difficult not to be critical if the Suns organization, you wonder if they really had any type of plan over the last 5 years.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:47 am

:lol:

Yeah strategic plans for billion dollar businesses should be more than a few years.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:55 am
They have done a piss poor job of utilizing their G-League team anyway.

They would ocassionaly send the end of the roster guys down there, but never sent the young players who needed playing time before being thrown into the fire here - Bender, Chriss, Jackson, Len, etc.

Maybe a couple of those players could ha e amounted to something on a team with an actual plan.

Sometimes it's difficult not to be critical if the Suns organization, you wonder if they really had any type of plan over the last 5 years.
"Get better! Do things to get better! Get butts in the seats! And if you can save a few dollars this year, that would be great. "

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:47 am

If/when the financial situation improves for Sarver, I wouldn't be surprised if they're brought back. I wonder how many GLeague teams do bring in money.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Sarver is probably hurting financially due to COVID. The real estate market may also drop later this year as people get evicted when the moratorium on evictions is lifted and the extended unemployment payments stop.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am just really hoping he is cutting all of these costs to make the balance sheet look good to prep for a sale. That would be great. Didn't JC shed a bunch of salary/long term deals before officially trying to sell in 2003/04?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Read anything about what makes the Heat, Raptors and Spurs some of the most admired organizations and it's basically the opposite of that tweet. Kind of disheartening.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:03 pm
Sam is speaking the truth. Did anyone ever look at the scores or follow the standings in the GLeague for NAZ and wonder why they were so bad? With all the young players that the Suns have accumulated, they never did a good job of keeping both teams in line with each other, unless thinking both should be on the bottom of the standings. Then they were aligned perfectly. **snark***
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

The Suns are a shitty franchise and have the worst owner in sports. This move "aligns" with that.

Selling the fucking team Sarver
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

djy2j wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:03 pm
The Suns are a shitty franchise and have the worst owner in sports. This move "aligns" with that.

Selling the fucking team Sarver
And make sure it's not an egotistical fake billionaire that's easily insulted and makes decisions on pocket book over basketball.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

They also laid off about 30 people within the org recently.

I get that the team is a business and that comes with certain expectations of revenue/profitability, but all the best organizations in the league view player development and scouting as critical investments to building a successful operation. We seem to be gutting those departments left and right.

I think it's fair to say if we're ever good, it will be in spite of ownership and not because of it.