The Check-In Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: The Check-In Thread

Post by O_Gardino »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:38 pm
Great topic, Carey!

Nice to hear from all of you.
Down here in Brazil it's crazy. And I think crazy is an understatement.
Today, with all the numbers being submitted late, we had almost 1500 dead in one day. More than 30000 total. The stupid president (another understatement) don't believe the virus is so lethal and it's warring with the state governors cause he don't want any quarantine. The political situation here is beyond bizarre. And it's not like brazilians haven't seen bizarre before.

Life is getting hard on the financial side too. I think I lost more than 12 students, and the government help doesn't cover 3 of them.

At least no one of my family got the virus. I have type 2 diabetes, so I'm very afraid, but so far so good. Just hoping that shit end soon.
Yikes! We are hoping with you.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

virtual9mm wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:42 am
Nodack wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:03 am
Nice stuff my brother musician! I am playing my first gig since March 9 tomorrow.
How did it go?
It’s today. It’s actually just a duo playing at an assisted living place. We are playing 3 30 minute sets outside and moving to different locations every set. They will be listening from their balconies to be safe. Kind of a feel good gig.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:28 am
Nodack wrote:
Nice stuff my brother musician! I am playing my first gig since March 9 tomorrow.
Awesome to hear that! Did you ever figure out how to get some unemployment?!
I did. After two fails at getting the regular unemployment they sent a new Covid Pandemic Relief thing I applied for and sent me a debit card I got a couple of days ago. I activated it yesterday and it said the balance was $.0 but, I am thinking they will add some to it.Before I did that my wife and I got $1200 or so deposited into our account each and I got another check a few weeks ago for a couple grand. I am more than happy with that. It’s enough to help pay bills.

I am pretty sure every American got a check of some sort. My parents who have been retired for ages got a couple of checks too on top of their regular SS and pension. The Covid thing is actually making some people more money than usual. People still working through the pandemic got the same checks I think.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:32 am
Superbone wrote:
Nodack wrote:
I did. After two fails at getting the regular unemployment they sent a new Covid Pandemic Relief thing I applied for and sent me a debit card I got a couple of days ago. I activated it yesterday and it said the balance was $.0 but, I am thinking they will add some to it.Before I did that my wife and I got $1200 or so deposited into our account each and I got another check a few weeks ago for a couple grand. I am more than happy with that. It’s enough to help pay bills.

I am pretty sure every American got a check of some sort. My parents who have been retired for ages got a couple of checks too on top of their regular SS and pension. The Covid thing is actually making some people more money than usual. People still working through the pandemic got the same checks I think.
Really glad to hear it. I read from you how frustrating it was at the beginning. My mom finally got a check in the mail not that long ago. She didn't need it though so she split it with my sons. I'm really happy to report that my son who was unable to start his first "real" job and was on unemployment, was able to start that job a couple of weeks ago.

By the way, not every American got one. I didn't get one but I didn't need one. Only Americans under a certain income threshold. My youngest son, who did need one, didn't get one either since he was a dependent on my taxes in 2019.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I see, thanks, you rich privileged guy.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:42 pm
I see, thanks, you rich, white privileged guy.
Fixed that for you. Hey, at least I know it!
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:52 pm
Nodack wrote:
I see, thanks, you rich, white privileged guy.
Fixed that for you. Hey, at least I know it!
:lol:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
I see, thanks, you rich, white, mostly straight, privileged guy.
Fixed that for you again!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:35 pm
Nodack wrote:
I see, thanks, you rich, white, mostly straight, privileged guy.
Fixed that for you again!
Wait a second!
"Be Legendary."

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:32 am
Superbone wrote:
Nodack wrote:

Yea, I got three unemployment deposits last week and was a little surprised that they came, seeing as how I was still getting paid severance from my old company that laid me off. I made sure to note I was getting money, and still got the unemployment, so I won't complain and that will be a down payment for a new car around Labor Day. The extra $600 a week sure was nice...I actually ended up taking home more in unemployment (not by much, but still) each week than I would get if I was still working at my old job. No wonder most people aren't in a huge rush to go back to work. Hell, if I didn't get my new job, I would have been happy to take the summer off at basically full pay. I could have gotten a lot of things done around the house and worked on my tan by my in-laws pool.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

My first gig since March 9 went well. It was just a duo but, it was for an assisted living place and as we all know they were some of the hardest hit places. We moved around to different places out side and they watched from their balconies. It felt good to give them a little joy after they have been on lockdown for months. It also felt good to work again after not working for three months. I don’t know when the next gig will come. So far all regular gigs are off limits.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:31 am
My first gig since March 9 went well. It was just a duo but, it was for an assisted living place and as we all know they were some of the hardest hit places. We moved around to different places out side and they watched from their balconies. It felt good to give them a little joy after they have been on lockdown for months. It also felt good to work again after not working for three months. I don’t know when the next gig will come. So far all regular gigs are off limits.
Hope you get some more safe gigs!

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

Great thread Carey.
I'm just catching up with all things sport as I took a bit of break from forums etc.

My wife and I are still working throughout all of this and are busier than ever. Great that we are working as we run our own company and wouldn't get paid if we didn't (we are some of the few % of our country not eligible for any of the government help) but we know we risk a lot every time we step outside the house.
At one of the main places we work there have already been one death and several infections. Last week one of our Deaf clients tested positive and so some of our interpreting team had to get tested as well. Happily they are all negative but it is not fun.

The country as a whole is torn both politically and Covidly. On top of the continued R rate around 0.9 & 1.1 around different areas of the country, we are having people at the beach crowding and protests in major cities crowding so a second wave is almost inevitable.

My wife is now doing more online interpreting so she doesn't have to be out walking around all the time, she also has Fibromialgia so is not great physically at the best of times.

Besides work, there is good news that we are moving house at the end of the month, we've rented for 13 1/2 years and are now finally buying a house again.

I hope you guys continue to cope with the situations you have, and a brighter future for all of us.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey?! Where you at? I hope this thread wasn't a cry for help from yourself. We've hardly seen you since you started this. I hope all is well with you. Hope to see you around.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

He’s tweeted in the last 24 hours, so maybe just taking a break from the site

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:32 am
He’s tweeted in the last 24 hours, so maybe just taking a break from the site
Good to know!
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We love you, carey. Hope all's good with you.