Around the League: Season Resumes

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Around the League: Season Resumes

Post by Superbone »

Let's get this thing going again! Season finally starts back up Thursday night! I never thought this night would happen. Basketball is back, baby!
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Re: Around the League: Season Resumes

Post by Nodack »

I just hope the bubble doesn’t burst.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Both games tonight should be very fun. Pels/Jazz and LA/LA. I'm looking forward to Los Angeles losing the game tonight.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

This set-up would be ideal for a VR viewing experience. I haven't looked into it, so maybe something is available.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Pels lost...does that help us?

I watched the first half and they were playing very well, was surprised they lost the game.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Zion had 13 points in 15 minutes tonight, but 0 rebounds, steals or blocks
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

Pels loss takes us from .1% to .15% chance at playoffs

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Pels were -16 with Zion on the court, so maybe he's not game ready yet.

LA vs LA was just one long ft shooting contest.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Still not sure exactly what to make of Zion. Is he a highlight reel, style over substance guy or can he be a real impact player?

Someone had a poll on Twitter asking if anyone would Ayton for Zion. I didn't vote, couldn't make up my mind.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:28 am
Still not sure exactly what to make of Zion. Is he a highlight reel, style over substance guy or can he be a real impact player?

Someone had a poll on Twitter asking if anyone would Ayton for Zion. I didn't vote, couldn't make up my mind.
I’d say no to that trade for injury reasons alone .. dude is stacked, his knees gonna need to be superhuman to support that much weight for 15 years, and so far no good.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea the injury history and his size/athleticism is a concern similar to Blake Griffin. And we know Ayton is a 20-10 center even if he just shows up.

I think my head says Ayton but the fan in me says Zion. He'd make us a team to watch, some buzz and also help Book get more exposure.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Yeah, that's a tough one. If known to be healthy for the majority of their careers, you probably take Zion. But as it is, you might want Ayton as a safer bet. And it isn't crazy to say that Ayton might end up better than Zion even if both stay healthy.

Another thing with Zion is that it might be harder to put a great roster around him. Ayton is a center, so you can surround him with shooters and scorers. With Zion you have the tricky question of who to put with him in the frontcourt. Do you play him with a center? If so, is the center going to be shooting 3s, or more of a post bruiser? Will that clog the paint? Or if you try to play Zion at the 5, isn't he too small for teams like Philly and the Lakers?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I've tried imagining where and how to play Zion in the frontcourt. I think he's a 4 who could work with a guy like Baynes actually. Zion hasn't really projected to be a great rebounder or interior defender so having a Baynes type gives you the best of both worlds- the bruiser interior defender/rebounder who can step out and shoot to give Zion room to operate inside.

Ayton is definitely safer at the moment and easier, theoretically, to build around.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Only die hard Suns fans would prefer Ayton to Zion at this point in their careers.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I know what you mean, Indy. Zion is the much more exciting prospect who attacks the basket and draws fouls.

But at this point in their careers, Zion is on a 15 minute per game restriction. At this point, he's been injured and out for more games than he has played, even going back to college. There are some very valid concerns that he will ever be a healthy player.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Jonathan Isaac the only player not to wear BLM short or kneel for anthem; interesting.

Cap

Post by Cap »

What a jerk.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Here’s his answer for why:

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

"Do you believe that black lives matter?" What the fuck kind of question is that?

It was hard to hear everything he was saying, but it seemed like he's put a lot of thought into things. I have no problem with Isaac expressing himself, just like I never had an issue with kneeling during the anthem in the first place.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

If we don't have problems with players choosing to make a political stance, we shouldn't have a problem with players who choose not to.

I'm more concerned with Michael Porter Jr.'s crazy COVID-19 statement.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695