Game Day: Suns (26-39) @ Wizards (24-40), Fri 7/31/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Game Day: Suns (26-39) @ Wizards (24-40), Fri 7/31/20

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:11 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:32 pm
djy2j wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:28 pm
If Carter can’t come in and at least slow Ish Smith or Jerome Robinson (who?) then he’s not deserving of an NBA roster spot. Ish looked like Kemba Walker. Suns need to consider getting him back. He carved up Suns defenders
Ish Smith has been available. We just haven't bothered. Some here said he sucks. To the contrary, since he was here last, he has gotten significantly better. Would have been a nice pick-up.
Why can't he stick anywhere? Eleven teams is crazy.
That also is a lot of teams that say they want him.

He really only has been a rotation player since in 2015, and by then he had already been on 7 teams.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Some guys are expendable around the league, fill roles and move on. Matt Barnes had the same type of career. They're good, but not worth a team really committing to. DJ Augustin is another. Reliable but expendable.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Well said.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:41 pm
Well said.
You guys aren't making a great argument for why we should pursue him.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I'm not saying pursue him now. I'm not giving up any assets in a trade for him. There will be free agents that we can pursue that are just as good, if not better, that we can add to the team without sacrificing.

My point is that he is better than what we have been running at point, and played just as well as Rubio last night, who makes $10 million more a season. My point was that he has been available to add to the team at relatively low cost, but we just didn't seize the opportunity.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My recollection was that Ish was a fine player, but after his trial period he asks for a bigger role and commensurate salary. We didn't want to give him that. Am I remembering it wrong?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I have no problem with letting Ish go all the way back then. But he wasn't the player he is now.

And let's be clear: Ish Smith isn't special. He is one of many moves we could have made that could have positioned this team better than what it currently is.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:38 pm
My point is that he is better than what we have been running at point, and played just as well as Rubio last night, who makes $10 million more a season. My point was that he has been available to add to the team at relatively low cost, but we just didn't seize the opportunity.
He had a good game, but I wouldn't consider Ish Smith to be capable of out performing Rubio over the length of a season for what the Suns need from their starting PG.

Would Rubio out perform to the level of a $10 million difference? Probably not. But this organization has consistently shown to spend in the wrong places, so there's not a guarantee that they'd have improved the roster in other areas with the money available if they had Smith instead of Rubio.

Also, the intelligence and leadership Rubio brought to the team from his position can't be understated. The Suns put themselves in a position where they had to overpay for those qualities. The team desperately needed someone to guide the young players because Booker can't do it alone at this stage of his career.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:58 pm
But this organization has consistently shown to spend in the wrong places, so there's not a guarantee that they'd have improved the roster in other areas with the money available if they had Smith instead of Rubio.
I get that point and fear, but if you stop trying to be great, then you never will be. Limiting/bypassing opportunities to improve because you don't trust decision-makers to do the right thing is a zero-sum endeavor.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:39 pm
My recollection was that Ish was a fine player, but after his trial period he asks for a bigger role and commensurate salary. We didn't want to give him that. Am I remembering it wrong?
He couldn’t shoot when he was with us. Speed demon, but he was on the team with dragic, Bledsoe, and IT. We didn’t need him and he wanted to be more than a 4th pg. It was fine that he left, but it would have been nice to have him over the Okobo/Jerome/Ulis/James/Canaan group that have held the position over the last few years.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

It just seemed like there was a 5 minute stretch where we went to Ayton and he just dominated. And it looked so easy and effortless. And all I could think was why don’t we do this all the time. It seems partly on ayton, partly on the team.

I hope you are all well at this time.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Danimal wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:40 am
It just seemed like there was a 5 minute stretch where we went to Ayton and he just dominated. And it looked so easy and effortless. And all I could think was why don’t we do this all the time. It seems partly on ayton, partly on the team.

I didn’t watch the game but I could take a guess and say is ayton is gassed.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Danimal wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:40 am

We sometimes go through stretches where we go to Ayton every time, but the defense reads the play and there are tons of turnovers. We can complain all we want about Ayton's aggressiveness (and I will!), but defenses do pay attention to him.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan