Suns News: Season Resumes

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: Season Resumes

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:50 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:06 pm
Rankin's prediction is that we'll go 3-5.
That sounds low to me. I think we may get some wins late because teams will have locked in the playoff seeds they want, so they may rest their guys while we are going all-out to win.
I think it's low too. I'd flip it.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:59 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:43 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:31 pm
You can transition from one PG to another. Come on.
It's not about just one position. It is about the entire roster. It's about the moves you made to pay Rubio $16+ million a year. It's about still having Rubio on the books in the 2021 offseason where the free agent class is insanely deep.

It's about missing significant opportunities to improve your team because you're committed to a situation that has a 40-win ceiling.
OK, that makes some more sense. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm still bummed we passed on Brandon Clarke. Every time I watch him play, I come away impressed.
Clarke is really nice.

Who are we chasing to get into the playoffs? Memphis. Who are two key reserves on Memphis? Brandon Clarke and De'Anthony Melton.

Sooner or later, we have to get out of our own way.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Dallas vs. Phoenix isn't worthy of being on NBATV?! Come on.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

What's all this about GSW trading their pick? I assume they will use the pick on a god player and develop him into a useful part of their rotation.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:22 pm
What's all this about GSW trading their pick? I assume they will use the pick on a god player and develop him into a useful part of their rotation.
As a veteran team they may be looking for more immediate help.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
I would sure hope that a god player could become a useful part of their rotation.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:29 pm
ShelC wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:51 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:20 pm
Lonzo Ball. Jrue Holiday. FVV. Spencer Dinwiddie. All players I’d prefer to chase after.

I don’t hate Rubio. I just don’t see him as part of the next Suns contender.
Let's win 40 games first, then start talking about the next Suns contender.
40 wins won't keep Booker here.

You build to contend from day one. Otherwise, you put a ceiling on your team that can't breakthrough because you overpaid in pursuit of mediocrity.
Bingo

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:17 pm
Diring the Clippers Pels game, they put up a graphic with the West standings and playoff race and included the top 12 teams. Didn't even feel necessary to include Phoenix, like they aren't even in the bubble. Let's say, it's the last game of the day in primetime, yet not worthy of screen time because it's the practice squad Phoenix playing.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
So the thought by many around GSW is that a rookie isn't going to help so much, especially this yrs crop. They also want to create another max cap slot and are looking for their next player to play the Iggy role on the wing or distibutor off the bench. The only way they do it is get something for their $17 mil TPE. This is what teams that are in win now mode with deep pockets do. Who knew?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:26 pm
Lot of besmirching of my Rubae going on in this thread. Some of you guys are so eager to tear the team up right as it's figuring some things out. Trading Rubio for a pick and cap space / exceptions is a loser move. You do that and we're back to 18-20 wins for the next two years, and probably Booker leaves. Rubio isn't a perfect player but he contributes a ton and has exceeded expectations here so far. No urgency to trade the guy. If you want to get cute with the roster, fine, explore Oubre moves if they make us better. But enough dumping valuable starters who make the team better in exchange for magic beans.
100% this dude.

We struggle for years without a decent PG and we now have one who’s helping us win, he’s had little time with Ayton (that lineup with him the best in the league) who’s good for a couple extra gimme assists a night, we lead the league in assists - no doubt having a positive impact on team chemistry - and he’s a pass first guard in the same style as Kidd and Nash, suggesting he could also improve with age ...and people want to trade him?

Madness.

Grow with him first, solve the real holes in the team - PF / the bench / back up PG - and go from there.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

He gives us chemistry, relative stability and therefore an identity .. No way I mess with that again this off-season.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:08 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Diring the Clippers Pels game, they put up a graphic with the West standings and playoff race and included the top 12 teams. Didn't even feel necessary to include Phoenix, like they aren't even in the bubble. Let's say, it's the last game of the day in primetime, yet not worthy of screen time because it's the practice squad Phoenix playing.
I noticed this. They later had the exact same graphic during a later game that included Phoenix though.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:46 am
In2ition wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:08 pm
INFORMER wrote:
I noticed this. They later had the exact same graphic during a later game that included Phoenix though.
I missed the later one.

Split T

Post by Split T »

You know what’s great? No matter how many teams we pass in the standings, we hold the 10th spot in the draft lottery. Unless we make the playoffs, which is even better.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:03 am
You know what’s great? No matter how many teams we pass in the standings, we hold the 10th spot in the draft lottery. Unless we make the playoffs, which is even better.
If Washington makes the playoffs, do the Suns then get the 9th spot? They locked the standings, so the Nets had a better record than the Suns when the leadue suspended play.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:15 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
So the thought by many around GSW is that a rookie isn't going to help so much, especially this yrs crop. They also want to create another max cap slot and are looking for their next player to play the Iggy role on the wing or distibutor off the bench. The only way they do it is get something for their $17 mil TPE. This is what teams that are in win now mode with deep pockets do. Who knew?
That's what LeBron teams do, but there are plenty of good teams in history who didn't go into "win-now mode." They kept building their team and got good value from rookie contracts while still winning. It's not 0 rookies or 15 rookies, and I think GSW's track record of drafting and developing shows that they get it.

No doubt they want to add good talent with the TPE, but I don't think they will be desperate enough to dump a high draft pick unless it's a perfect fit.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:49 am
In2ition wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:15 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
That's what LeBron teams do, but there are plenty of good teams in history who didn't go into "win-now mode." They kept building their team and got good value from rookie contracts while still winning. It's not 0 rookies or 15 rookies, and I think GSW's track record of drafting and developing shows that they get it.

No doubt they want to add good talent with the TPE, but I don't think they will be desperate enough to dump a high draft pick unless it's a perfect fit.
Of course, ideally they get a team to gift a good player that helps them on a reasonable contract without giving up their pick so they can compete for another title, because they deserve it and other teams need to bend their knee to their power.

***this is what I tell GSW fans***

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:47 am
Split T wrote:
If Washington makes the playoffs, do the Suns then get the 9th spot? They locked the standings, so the Nets had a better record than the Suns when the leadue suspended play.
I would think so, so I guess we should be rooting for washington

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:12 pm
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
Good luck with that.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:02 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:12 pm
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
Good luck with that.
I would’ve said something about how bad Brooklyn is, but Brooklyn just beat Washington