Game Day: Suns (29-39) vs Pacers (42-26), Thu 8/6/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

Re: Game Day: Suns (29-39) vs Pacers (42-26), Thu 8/6/20

Post by Wally_West »

Oatmeal wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:05 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:51 am

Actually got this quote from the Pacers broadcast :o
"He's having quite the Campaign for next season" :)
If he reverts to previous levels of suckage, can we call him Sham Payne?
What if he helps us to a title one Day? Can we call him Champ Payne?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If we win the title, we'll all toast with Cham Payne.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

What a game. Thought it was over when Book foolishly got his fifth foul (what was he thinking??), but Payne and Saric kept us going. Payne has been incredible, I doubt he keeps up this shooting but he’s been everything we need for that bench squad.

Then the starters with Book leading the way closed it out. Great win.

The only player I feel has contributed nothing to this run is Kaminsky. He truly is a waste of a roster spot

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:29 am
Nodack wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:43 am
It sure is a lot more fun when they don’t suck.
Forget this “Time to Rise” crap, this should be the slogan for next season.
seconded

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:45 am
What a game. Thought it was over when Book foolishly got his fifth foul (what was he thinking??), but Payne and Saric kept us going. Payne has been incredible, I doubt he keeps up this shooting but he’s been everything we need for that bench squad.

The only player I feel has contributed nothing to this run is Kaminsky. He truly is a waste of a roster spot
Glad you finally recognized what Oubre brings to this team.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Agreed. I want to see the guy play well, and he did have one decent game (not the last one, but the one before, I think?). But overall his play has been really brutal. Every shot he puts up, I expect it to clang off the rim. And his defense has been poor. I don't think he's earning himself any chance to return to the team next year.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:51 am
specialsauce wrote:

Glad you finally recognized what Oubre brings to this team.
He has helped this team more in the last 4 games than he did all year.
His greatest contributions include: head bobbing, 360 celebrations, pushups, tweeting excellent lyrics, high fashion.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:52 am
Agreed. I want to see the guy play well, and he did have one decent game (not the last one, but the one before, I think?). But overall his play has been really brutal. Every shot he puts up, I expect it to clang off the rim. And his defense has been poor. I don't think he's earning himself any chance to return to the team next year.
He’s just way too lumbering on D. He doesn’t deter shots in the paint, he can’t cover the perimeter, and for a stretch big guy he can’t shoot. I see no NBA level skill there, and from someone who wanted him on draft night as the next Dirk, man he sucks. Those games in college against UofA were a total mirage

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I predict Kaminsky has a big game soon.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I've been hoping for the same, at least a breakout offensive game where he hits like two 3s and it feels like 5.

I think he's probably more skilled in the post/mid post area against smaller players but he rarely gets that opportunity.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think he may have played his last game or will soon. Oubre seems to be getting closer. If he and/or Baynes come back, we won’t see Kaminsky.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

specialsauce wrote:

Did you see your guy Popeye is one of Pacers assistants ? :)
I saw him in one of the huddles during the 4th quarter
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

jonh

Post by jonh »

Split T wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:05 am
I think he may have played his last game or will soon. Oubre seems to be getting closer. If he and/or Baynes come back, we won’t see Kaminsky.
Im still anxious about making any changes to the team roster at this point, with the team doing so well together, especially for Oubre, who has such a strong personality both on and off the court.

At the same time, Frank has been terrible, and Im sure having a fresh set of legs would be helpful during this stretch.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:43 am
specialsauce wrote:

Did you see your guy Popeye is one of Pacers assistants ? :)
I saw him in one of the huddles during the 4th quarter
The man the myth the legend!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:58 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:52 am
He’s just way too lumbering on D. He doesn’t deter shots in the paint, he can’t cover the perimeter, and for a stretch big guy he can’t shoot. I see no NBA level skill there, and from someone who wanted him on draft night as the next Dirk, man he sucks. Those games in college against UofA were a total mirage

The funny thing is that he is miraculously leading the Suns in NetRtg in the bubble.
Last edited by In2ition on Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

jonh wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:18 am
Split T wrote:
Im still anxious about making any changes to the team roster at this point, with the team doing so well together, especially for Oubre, who has such a strong personality both on and off the court.

At the same time, Frank has been terrible, and Im sure having a fresh set of legs would be helpful during this stretch.
Oubres not the type to come in and try and blend. He will try and take over a second unit that’s been playing well together. You’d hate to see it folks.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:25 am
Here's postgame - I like what Monty says about the guy's doing what they need to to "get back to full"

He said they're taking tomorrow (today) off, which means that Oubre and Baynes are probably both out for the Miami game.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:33 am
jonh wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:18 am
Split T wrote:

Oubres not the type to come in and try and blend. He will try and take over a second unit that’s been playing well together. You’d hate to see it folks.
@jonh I understand the anxiety about messing with the lineup. However, I think we have a great opportunity to just slowly introduce Oubre. We don’t need to change the starting lineup. Just simply give Kaminsky and maybe Carter’s minutes to Kelly.

@sauce I know you hate him and are going to find any reason to bash on him, but are you actually suggesting we’re better off with Kaminsky than Kelly?

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Why are you asking rhetorical questions Split

Kelly is a net negative :twisted:

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I didn't know what Monty said at the time but I just liked the fact how quickly Book acknowledged him and quit complaining
He had just dish to Ayton for the dunk to make Pacers call timeout and could see he was itching to hit a couple daggers. He still came and hit the big 3 next possession to go up 13 lol

We talk about each guy's individual play alot but credit to Monty , they really bought into his message(s)