Game Day: Suns (30-39) vs Heat (43-26), Sat 8/8/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Game Day: Suns (30-39) vs Heat (43-26), Sat 8/8/20

Post by carey »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:58 pm

I don’t know how Ayton played like ass and ended up with 18 and 10. If he ever grew a pair he’d average 25 and 15 and be an all time great. Such a frustrating player to watch.
I have Diaw flashbacks in the most unpleasant way possible. I knew Bam was going to be a handful for him. Glad to see at least he did better statistically. :D
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Felt like Rubio had his first getting furstrated/struggle game of the bubble. Never quite seemed in rhythm but still got a solid state line
I'm still in awe of Carter's game lol and he took my boy Cam's 4th quarter minutes as a result but it's all good lol
The fact that we are showing an ability to weather runs every game and win ugly is a sign of real growth
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Needless to say, we don't win that game without Carter. 7-10 shooting and 6-8 from 3 for 20pts plus 4 boards, 3 assists and 1 huge steal on Adebayo. He brought the energy and defense all game, switching off and seemingly guarding everyone at one point or another. Might not be an every game player but seems to have found his role and niche on the team. Big 26 minutes for us off the bench.

Book was keeping us in the game from the start. Just didn't feel like anything or anyone else was really clicking besides Book, who took on everything the Heat threw at him. 35 points and maybe most impressive was no 3s. A ton of tough 2s, a ton of tough drives and answered whenever we need a shot.

Rubio's shot looks flat again and he was getting banged around with the Heat's physical D but closed the game strong. Just 7 points but also 10 boards and 8 assists. Monty again keeping him around 30 minutes. Mikal struggling with his shot and seemed to have some trouble mostly in the 1st half with the switching and guys getting loose on screens. 10 and 6 but helped seal it with a dunk off a cut as the game was winding down. Played 40 minutes so hopefully he's resting up. Cam had a quiet 14 on 5-6 shooting and only played 27 minutes. Good his minutes came down because he's been playing a lot lately. His minutes seem to have gotten taken by Carter. Payne was quiet but steady running point. 5-5-5 in 21 minutes. Dario with 10 and 8 and 2-3 from 3 in 22 minutes. I thought he was having a good game and could've played a bit more. 35 points from the bench which saved us.

DA...still Big Pussy to me. 18 and 12 with 8 and 5 in the 4th but again, deceptive numbers. Played like ass all game, no hustle, no toughness, no real "want". Olynyk, Adebayo and even 6-6 Crowder were getting the better of him. If the rebound doesn't come to him, if he's not spoonfed at the rim (and even if he is), it feels like he's just coasting. I think Monty is sticking with him to keep his confidence and for development, but it's hard to imagine a guy like Baynes not outplaying him and taking minutes in these recent games. Had a huge, potentially costly foul on a 3 late in the game (in an obvious no foul situation) where if the Heat would've managed the comeback or sent the game to OT, he'd really be hearing about it.

Still, we gutted out the W against a tough, hard playing Heat team which are the kind of games we need to learn how to win. Shots won't always be falling, starters won't always have great games and other guys need to step up. First it was Payne, now it's Carter. Dario's been a steady contributor off the bench. Would love to see Baynes back for the OKC game but not holding my breath.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:59 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:54 pm
I just realized that Booker had 35 points on 0-7 from three and only 5 made free throws. That's really unusual these days.
Wow, I had no idea he had that many. Sure didn't feel like it.
And still finished 15-26 overall.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

:) 8-)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:58 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:58 pm
Javon MFing Carter. I have to give him credit ‘Bone. Came up huge on a night where we really needed someone to step up.

I don’t know how Ayton played like ass and ended up with 18 and 10. If he ever grew a pair he’d average 25 and 15 and be an all time great. Such a frustrating player to watch.
Yes, on both counts. Carter was huge and Ayton was hugely frustrating. First play of the 2nd half I was absolutely screaming at the TV when he went up soft and missed or had his layin partially blocked. EJ is constantly saying he needs to throw it down hard so people will get their hands and fingers out of there but he refuses unless nobody is at the basket.

Saw this highlight the other day when he was on the Jump...what does it take to pull this out of him again.

BookTheGoat

Post by BookTheGoat »

Shabazz wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:10 pm
Ayton is frustrating because he's paradoxically athletic but not explosive and has a soft touch but bad hands.
This is such an accurate description. Perfectly encapsulates how I feel.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I keep saying Ayton plays better mad. There are quite a few players who are nice guys that turn into intense mad guys out on the court. Ayton is SO laid back and a super nice guy even on the court. That has to change. I don’t know what Monty can do to to bring out the beast in him. Part of me says bench him and make Baynes start and force him to earn his minutes back but, Ayton has been putting up impressive numbers even though he plays like a puzzy so, benching him seems mean and unwarranted and could backfire. I guess we will just have to get used to him being soft.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Benching him will only hurt the team more.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Continuing the Jevon shout-outs til at least next game lol
Remembering that play against Bam , I wonder how many times he's stripped DA in practice :P

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

Ayton was soft in college, not sure why we'd expect anything different. His bullyszn thing was always nonsense. He gets stats, he flashes defensive dominance at times, but hes still got a long ways to go on both ends.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Good insight in this article

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:07 am

DA...still Big Pussy to me. 18 and 12 with 8 and 5 in the 4th but again, deceptive numbers. Played like ass all game, no hustle, no toughness, no real "want". Olynyk, Adebayo and even 6-6 Crowder were getting the better of him. If the rebound doesn't come to him, if he's not spoonfed at the rim (and even if he is), it feels like he's just coasting. I think Monty is sticking with him to keep his confidence and for development, but it's hard to imagine a guy like Baynes not outplaying him and taking minutes in these recent games. Had a huge, potentially costly foul on a 3 late in the game (in an obvious no foul situation) where if the Heat would've managed the comeback or sent the game to OT, he'd really be hearing about it.
Yeah, it's really frustrating, specially after seeing the box score and find out that he still was productive, a total "if he only..."

But it also worth saying, perhaps it's because reduced staff are forcing coaches to plan from the box score, but you can see that teams are executing schemes to stop DA. They defend us from doing the enter pass (And to boot we still are not good at it), they double team him and never allow him to cut unchecked. That atention opens up things for the others. How long are we gonna sneak behind it, or how long until teams finds out that we run with Ferdinand the Bull at center, I don't know, but hopefully at leats after bubble play. Offseason could do wonders for the guy, right know he is what he is, if only had a bee stinging him every game, because angry Ayton is another level, just very rare to see.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:32 am
Felt like Rubio had his first getting furstrated/struggle game of the bubble. Never quite seemed in rhythm but still got a solid state line
I'm still in awe of Carter's game lol and he took my boy Cam's 4th quarter minutes as a result but it's all good lol
The fact that we are showing an ability to weather runs every game and win ugly is a sign of real growth
It also shows Coach's ability to adapt to the situation and ride the hot hand. Coach has been impressing me even more lately. Suddenly, our rotation seems to have no drop in scoring like it used to.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:07 am
Still, we gutted out the W against a tough, hard playing Heat team which are the kind of games we need to learn how to win. Shots won't always be falling, starters won't always have great games and other guys need to step up. First it was Payne, now it's Carter. Dario's been a steady contributor off the bench. Would love to see Baynes back for the OKC game but not holding my breath.
I'm not sure we want to mess with the chemistry right now but then when you think of Baynes instead of Kaminsky, it's a no brainer. :D
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Oubre seems more likely to play than Baynes. He’s been listed as doubtful for the last two games.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Great highlights, Shel! Thanks for posting.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:22 am
Saw this highlight the other day when he was on the Jump...what does it take to pull this out of him again.
One of two things. You've either got to make him mad or PEDs. We should stick to the first one. He's a gentle giant to be sure.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:47 am
I keep saying Ayton plays better mad. There are quite a few players who are nice guys that turn into intense mad guys out on the court. Ayton is SO laid back and a super nice guy even on the court. That has to change. I don’t know what Monty can do to to bring out the beast in him. Part of me says bench him and make Baynes start and force him to earn his minutes back but, Ayton has been putting up impressive numbers even though he plays like a puzzy so, benching him seems mean and unwarranted and could backfire. I guess we will just have to get used to him being soft.
Hadn't seen your post yet. Great minds think alike and all that. Totally agree with all of that. I'm not sure what it will take but I have noticed he's much more aggressive when angry. We need him to harness his Hulk powers.
"Be Legendary."