Democratic primary watch

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Democratic primary watch

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:14 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:39 pm
This little situation is a good reminder that things will probably get heated between now and November. Let's try our best to stay respectful and kind to each other, even if we don't disagree. I post some pretty strong anti-Trump and anti-GOP stuff here, but I don't want to use personal attacks toward anybody. If I do, or if anybody does, it isn't right. Let me or another mod (green username) know if you think somebody has gone too far, including me. Thanks all.
Way to go out on a limb! :P
I don't disagree that you're an ass!!1

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Biden's supposed to announce his VP pick this week. Who do you think he'll choose? My money is on Kamala Harris.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Most likely Harris. Susan Rice and Tammy Duckworth are also possibilities.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Most of the folks are assuming Harris, but I think Rice would be the better choice.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Rice seems a bit dull in her public speaking, but smart and hard-working and experienced. Not super dynamic, but maybe you don't need that from a VP. Don't know whether she would make a great Prez candidate in 4 years, but maybe that's a secondary concern. She's eminently qualified for the job and would be a strong adviser for Biden. If Biden picks Rice, likely Fox and their ilk will attack her because she had a foreign policy role that was peripheral during the Benghazi scandal. My understanding is that she had really nothing to do with Benghazi, but they will hammer her for it nonetheless. I think Benghazi is a dumb non-scandal that doesn't help Republicans nearly as much as they think it does, but hey, if they want to go down that road, they can knock themselves out.

Kamala has more sizzle than Rice but maybe less actual steak. I thought she pretty badly handled her Presidential campaign, making it mostly about "gotcha" topics like 1970s bussing. She also waffled on important issues like health care and seemed more interested in being vague so that everybody could project their hopes onto her. It's pretty telling that she doesn't have super strong support among black voters; they think of her as a "cop" from her time as a prosecutor/DA. She's a solid choice but I'm not sure she really brings in many new voters to Biden that he wouldn't already have.

Warren would be my favorite pick for VP, but I think there's no way she gets it. Too far to the left of Biden and threatens to undermine his "reasonable/moderate" reputation. Plus you could argue that it'd be bad to pick a white VP after all the protests about racial justice, though I'm not sure I agree with such an argument. Warren actually has won over a decent number of black voters, more than several black candidates; but I think if Biden picked her, every ad until November would be about how Biden is just a Trojan horse to get Warren and Bernie's policies enacted. I think that attack would be effective, and might even have some truth to it.

Overall I would be shocked if it isn't Kamala Harris or Susan Rice.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

And I'll be happy with either.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Benghazi is a non-issue. Every single department in every single company and every single government asks for more resources every month/year and gets turned down. Even when it might increase danger. Resources are not infinite, and you can't give them to everyone that asks for them every time they ask. But I think the GOP got legs out of it because--one, it was against a woman; two, it sounds foreign and people like to say the word without being able to find it on a map; three, you hold hearing after hearing after hearing and get fox news to play it over and over and convince viewers it is a problem.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:27 pm
same

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
I agree. They're both eminently qualified and either will make a good VP. And I think they both are non-harmful to Biden's general election campaign.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:54 pm
Superbone wrote:
I agree. They're both eminently qualified and either will make a good VP. And I think they both are non-harmful to Biden's general election campaign.
I think either would make a better president too

Indy

Post by Indy »

Rice sold a bunch of netflix shares, so some are indicating she has already been told she is the nominee and she is getting rid of individual stocks.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

NC businessman has record of success, but is drawing fire as new postmaster general

Read more here: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/ ... rylink=cpy
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/ ... 24002.html
”DeJoy continues his unconstitutional sabotage of our Postal Service with complete disregard for the institution’s promise of the ‘safe and speedy transit of the mail’ and the ‘prompt delivery of its contents’,” she said in a statement.

Critics say the Greensboro businessman already has launched policies that have slowed mail service. They worry that as a major donor to President Donald Trump, he’ll delay delivery of what’s expected to be a flood of absentee ballots that could decide the presidential election.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

No matter what, the results will be questioned. I'd imagine states like Florida will "lose" or misplace ballots if Trump is ahead or find more Trump ballots if Biden called the winner in that state. I wish the media would hold off on calling the election until we're sure all or most of the ballots are accounted for but they'd rather be first than be right.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Biden is probably going to announce his VP tomorrow (Mon 8/10). Either Rice or Harris seems most likely.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

History professor Allan Lichtman who has correctly predicted the winner of each presidential race since Ronald Reagan's reelection victory in 1984 is predicting a Biden win in the 2020 election.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/07/us/allan ... index.html
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Friday Night Massacre’ at US Postal Service as Postmaster General — a Major Trump Donor — Ousts Top Officials
https://billmoyers.com/story/friday-nig ... officials/

"America is in a dead sprint to authoritarianism. The man is pulling out all the stops to prevent the citizens of this country from holding a legitimate election in which he might face removal from office."

“Trump is actively sabotaging the election under our noses — this isn’t theoretical, it’s happening RIGHT NOW.”

Critics of Trump White House decry latest ‘Friday night massacre’ as postmaster general sidelines two dozen USPS officials
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/criti ... 2020-08-09
WASHINGTON (AP) — Mail piling up. Constant attacks from the president. Cuts to overtime as record numbers of ballots are expected to pass through post offices this fall.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This is anti-American. This has got to be stopped.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump aides exploring executive actions to curb voting by mail
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/0 ... him-392428

This past spring, President Donald Trump began a full-fledged assault on voting by mail, tweeting, retweeting and railing about massive fraud and rigged elections with scant evidence.

Then the Republican apparatus got to work backing up the president.

In the weeks since, Trump’s campaign and the Republican National Committee have taken to the courts dozens of times as part of a $20 million effort to challenge voting rules, including filing their own lawsuits in several battleground states, including Minnesota, Pennsylvania and Nevada. And around the time Trump started musing about delaying the election last week, aides and outside advisers began scrambling to ponder possible executive actions he could take to curb mail-in voting — everything from directing the postal service to not deliver certain ballots to stopping local officials from counting them after Election Day.

I just got a letter from the Republican party saying I am not registered to vote, addressed to “current residence”. I know I am registered.

Indy

Post by Indy »

So it is Kamala. I would prefer her for AG, but I love what a bull dog she is. I wouldn't be surprised to see her be leading investigations and charges/convictions for folks that are enabling what is happening now. Lots of self-dealing that Trump/Barr is ignoring/encouraging.