Game Day: Suns (30-39) vs Heat (43-26), Sat 8/8/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day: Suns (30-39) vs Heat (43-26), Sat 8/8/20

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:08 pm
Oubre seems more likely to play than Baynes. He’s been listed as doubtful for the last two games.
As much as I like Oubre, that does scare me from a chemistry standpoint. (Maybe saucy is rubbing off on me.) As long as he plays within our offense and doesn't become a black hole...
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks bg too. Great stuff!
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:17 pm
Split T wrote:
Oubre seems more likely to play than Baynes. He’s been listed as doubtful for the last two games.
As much as I like Oubre, that does scare me from a chemistry standpoint. (Maybe saucy is rubbing off on me.) As long as he plays within our offense and doesn't become a black hole...
I’m a parasite!!! I’ll take it :D you don’t want him taking away from Jevon “The Answer” Carter now do you :P

Cap

Post by Cap »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:53 pm
ShelC wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:07 am

DA...still Big Pussy to me. 18 and 12 with 8 and 5 in the 4th but again, deceptive numbers. Played like ass all game, no hustle, no toughness, no real "want". Olynyk, Adebayo and even 6-6 Crowder were getting the better of him. If the rebound doesn't come to him, if he's not spoonfed at the rim (and even if he is), it feels like he's just coasting. I think Monty is sticking with him to keep his confidence and for development, but it's hard to imagine a guy like Baynes not outplaying him and taking minutes in these recent games. Had a huge, potentially costly foul on a 3 late in the game (in an obvious no foul situation) where if the Heat would've managed the comeback or sent the game to OT, he'd really be hearing about it.
Yeah, it's really frustrating, specially after seeing the box score and find out that he still was productive, a total "if he only..."

But it also worth saying, perhaps it's because reduced staff are forcing coaches to plan from the box score, but you can see that teams are executing schemes to stop DA. They defend us from doing the enter pass (And to boot we still are not good at it), they double team him and never allow him to cut unchecked. That atention opens up things for the others. How long are we gonna sneak behind it, or how long until teams finds out that we run with Ferdinand the Bull at center, I don't know, but hopefully at leats after bubble play. Offseason could do wonders for the guy, right know he is what he is, if only had a bee stinging him every game, because angry Ayton is another level, just very rare to see.
He just needs to understand that when he’s being guarded by Kelly Olynyk, that’s an insult and it should piss him off.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:22 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:17 pm
Split T wrote:
I’m a parasite!!! I’ll take it :D you don’t want him taking away from Jevon “The Answer” Carter now do you :P
;) Now, now...
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

But it also worth saying, perhaps it's because reduced staff are forcing coaches to plan from the box score, but you can see that teams are executing schemes to stop DA.

Yea Monty said he didn't prepare the team properly for their fronting the post. Maybe they hadn't shown that before or like Aztec said, we didn't have the coaches going over film to plan for it. Could lead back to Blake and Greer not being with the team for whatever reason.

Like 'bone said tho, Monty and his coaches have done a great job with plays, rotations, subs and adjustments in game IMO. He gave Willie Green credit for bringing plays over from GS and also said his assistants wouldn't have let him take Carter out. Payne's been a huge lift for the bench which obviously helps.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Cap wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:24 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
ShelC wrote:

DA...still Big Pussy to me. 18 and 12 with 8 and 5 in the 4th but again, deceptive numbers. Played like ass all game, no hustle, no toughness, no real "want". Olynyk, Adebayo and even 6-6 Crowder were getting the better of him. If the rebound doesn't come to him, if he's not spoonfed at the rim (and even if he is), it feels like he's just coasting. I think Monty is sticking with him to keep his confidence and for development, but it's hard to imagine a guy like Baynes not outplaying him and taking minutes in these recent games. Had a huge, potentially costly foul on a 3 late in the game (in an obvious no foul situation) where if the Heat would've managed the comeback or sent the game to OT, he'd really be hearing about it.
Yeah, it's really frustrating, specially after seeing the box score and find out that he still was productive, a total "if he only..."

But it also worth saying, perhaps it's because reduced staff are forcing coaches to plan from the box score, but you can see that teams are executing schemes to stop DA. They defend us from doing the enter pass (And to boot we still are not good at it), they double team him and never allow him to cut unchecked. That atention opens up things for the others. How long are we gonna sneak behind it, or how long until teams finds out that we run with Ferdinand the Bull at center, I don't know, but hopefully at leats after bubble play. Offseason could do wonders for the guy, right know he is what he is, if only had a bee stinging him every game, because angry Ayton is another level, just very rare to see.
He just needs to understand that when he’s being guarded by Kelly Olynyk, that’s an insult and it should piss him off.
When Olynik was guarding him, and instead of tryng to push him under the basket Ayton tried a turnaround fadeaway jumper (and missed badly), I almost punched my TV.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:14 pm
Cap wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:24 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
ShelC wrote:

When Olynik was guarding him, and instead of tryng to push him under the basket Ayton tried a turnaround fadeaway jumper (and missed badly), I almost punched my TV.
It's like he doesn't know that he's 7 feet tall and muscular. He must look in the mirror and see a 5' 10" guy.
"Be Legendary."

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

LOL so true Bone, we need to change DA's mirror asap.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:45 pm
"Group Economics"?
yeah, i don't get it

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:54 pm
I just realized that Booker had 35 points on 0-7 from three and only 5 made free throws. That's really unusual these days.
If bb-ref didn't put all of their stats behind a pay wall, I would go figure out how often that has happened...

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:05 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I just realized that Booker had 35 points on 0-7 from three and only 5 made free throws. That's really unusual these days.
If bb-ref didn't put all of their stats behind a pay wall, I would go figure out how often that has happened...
:evil:

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
ShelC wrote:

He definitely has gravity. You can see everyone in his area react to keep the ball away from him. If he want's to actually be a star, and not just a stat guy, he has to find a way to score against pressure.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:56 am
Indy wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
yeah. And I think it is something like $8/month! If it was $25/year, I would absolutely do it. But no way am I paying 100/year for that.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:03 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
ShelC wrote:

He definitely has gravity. You can see everyone in his area react to keep the ball away from him. If he want's to actually be a star, and not just a stat guy, he has to find a way to score against pressure.
Or make it really easy for his teammates to score.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:26 am
Cap wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:56 am
Indy wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
yeah. And I think it is something like $8/month! If it was $25/year, I would absolutely do it. But no way am I paying 100/year for that.
Just when they had you hooked.
"Be Legendary."

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:03 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Cam J struggled today, (but still produced, wich was great to see) precisely because Saric didn’t provided him with the gravity pull that Ayton demands. Even on Ferdinand-the-bull mode, he can consistently put 20 and 10 on the box score, and before Bubble Book, teams were trying to stop that and bet on Devin going for 30+. We are getting those 30+ and therefore the strategy seems futile, but an engaged Ayton would open the floor for everybody, including Booker, and that’s what opposing Coaches are trying to avoid. Besides, pressing the center also brings disruptions in the forms of turnovers, given how poor job we still do on enter passes.