Game Day: Suns (31-39) vs Thunder (43-26), Mon 8/10/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: Game Day: Suns (31-39) vs Thunder (43-26), Mon 8/10/20

Post by specialsauce »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:23 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:21 pm
Ayton is right at the rim and passes it out. Dude can be SO frustrating!
I heard a little bit of gas escape his vagina during the broadcast on that play.
I Lol’d.

Johnson
Booker
Carter
Saric

Game balls. Bridges came on late when the game was over.

Great second half to put the game out of reach. I hope DA is embarrassed, though we already know that won’t change a thing.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

6 down, 2 to go.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:22 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:16 pm
Embiid ruled out for tomorrow. Pels announced Ingram/Jrue/Zion are out...why are they not moving our game to that 7pm TNT slot? I won’t be able to watch otherwise
http://nbastreams.xyz/

Come on now!
It’s the time, I’ll be at work. I’d be home for a 7 o’clock start

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:34 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:15 pm
Ayton had the ball 1 foot from the hoop and passed it out...smh
I started to scream when he did it, but realized I would lose my voice if I kept screaming every time he does something anti-agressive.
Soft.

-Kobe

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Wormwood wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:29 pm
Weird watching meaningful Suns games.

Ayton still needs to grow the **** up... but we can't win without him.

We're proving we can win without Oubre, however. In fact, Baynes is looking more valuable right now than Oubre in some ways. Look for the FO to look at offers this offseason involving him. We're still weak at PF. Saric seems like a better 6th man than starter.

Kaminsky's gone. You just can't keep him on the floor with his defense being so bad.

Cam Payne looks like the answer at back up PG. Carter's interesting as a back up SG, but he's not a good enough distributor. Still, bringing either or both of them back next season would be nice if it can be in the vet minimum range.

Funniest part is that the SUns are probably going to win out, and still not make it to the "play-in" game against Portland or Memphis. Which is pretty on brand for this franchise.
Carter and Payne have won me over as our backup guards in this bubble. Carter is no longer pounding the ball. It’s like suddenly something clicked and he either passes or shoots, he’s not wild. I’d like to add to them, but I no longer want Carter off the team entirely.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:58 pm
Wormwood wrote:

We're proving we can win without Oubre, however. In fact, Baynes is looking more valuable right now than Oubre in some ways. Look for the FO to look at offers this offseason involving him. We're still weak at PF. Saric seems like a better 6th man than starter.

Kaminsky's gone. You just can't keep him on the floor with his defense being so bad.

Cam Payne looks like the answer at back up PG. Carter's interesting as a back up SG, but he's not a good enough distributor. Still, bringing either or both of them back next season would be nice if it can be in the vet minimum range.

Funniest part is that the SUns are probably going to win out, and still not make it to the "play-in" game against Portland or Memphis. Which is pretty on brand for this franchise.
Carter and Payne have won me over as our backup guards in this bubble. Carter is no longer pounding the ball. It’s like suddenly something clicked and he either passes or shoots, he’s not wild. I’d like to add to them, but I no longer want Carter off the team entirely.
Sauce,

Carter was always a hustle and effort guy. Turns out he needs to play off another more "real" PG. Sort of like an inverse Barbosa at SG. I attribute his play in the bubble to being alongside Payne, mostly.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Wormwood wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:04 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wormwood wrote:

Sauce,

Carter was always a hustle and effort guy. Turns out he needs to play off another more "real" PG. Sort of like an inverse Barbosa at SG. I attribute his play in the bubble to being alongside Payne, mostly.
I think we have a good coach finally that knows how to put the right pieces and combinations together on the court instead of trying to shove puzzle pieces together like they've done in the past where things clearly didn't fit. "Oh, you're 6'3? PG!"
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Can you imaging how good this franchise will be next year when we're not carrying $20M in dead cap space?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:05 pm
Wormwood wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:04 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wormwood wrote:

Sauce,

I think we have a good coach finally that knows how to put the right pieces and combinations together on the court instead of trying to shove puzzle pieces together like they've done in the past where things clearly didn't fit. "Oh, you're 6'3? PG!"
Yes, Payne has done him Wonders. Taking away the playmaking role makes him much more tolerable, playing within himself. Not trying to be Iverson.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Be fair to Carter, he was put in that position by the staff.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Just watched an interview with Monty Williams on NBA TV saying (I paraphrase) that Ayton isn't the only player who has missed a test and that it wasn't a distraction or a big issue.

I'm wondering if the early start exacerbated the mistake, since it didn't leave as much time prior to the game to get the set done.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Wormwood wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:09 pm
Can you imaging how good this franchise will be next year when we're not carrying $20M in dead cap space?
Are you referring to Baynes, Oubre and Kaminsky?

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Let's not forget Devin Booker has taken his game to a whole new level in the bubble. Dude has been super focused, there hasn't been one off game from him yet.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:19 pm
Wormwood wrote:

Tyler Johnson perhaps?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

iLLmatic wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:20 pm
Let's not forget Devin Booker has taken his game to a whole new level in the bubble. Dude has been super focused, there hasn't been one off game from him yet.
He has earned every penny of that max money. Been great on both ends of the court.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Wormwood wrote:
Edit: What Bobster said. Tyler Johnson is our dead money, though you can pretty much add Frank to that.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

specialsauce wrote:
Wormwood wrote:
Korver and Tyler Johnson were effectively $22M in dead cap space.

Oubre is energetic, but his plus minus is terrible for a guy making $15M.

Kaminsky is gone (at $5M)

I consider the Suns to have upwards of $35M to play with this summer in deals and S&Ts. I also want to see them aggressively target Christian Wood. Other than Halliburton, nothing interests me with the 10th pick.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'll say it now. Start preparing yourself for a summer of Bobby Short Pockets. I'm expecting him to not spend a dime to improve this roster.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:43 pm
I'll say it now. Start preparing yourself for a summer of Bobby Short Pockets. I'm expecting him to not spend a dime to improve this roster.
Would be his most unacceptable move from my perspective if so. Someone needs to tell him it’ll cost him Booker.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea no telling what will happen with revenue losses and a lower cap, plus the cost of the arena and practice facility. I'd expect us to spend the bare minimum, maybe even sell any 1st we have.